World Cup: Group C: Peru vs. Denmark, 6/16/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Witch is nonsense and we all know you are joking. Let's see what Germny and Brazil can do. South American teams weren't expressive at all so far.

They've failed to impress so far, but I still think Argentina-Spain will be a toss up in the QFs; ditto Uruguay-Portugal/France/Croatia. So I won't be shocked if we are the only euros to make the SF...even if SA's chances would have been better if Colombia weren't in the same bracket as us or Brazil; and Uruguay didn't have quite so much european talent in their bracket.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Man, enjoy the win. Danish football is mediocre. Your goal must be to get out of the group.
Danish football is more than mediocre to me.

doubt it would help to explain why.

But I think I am going to close this convo.

I am not too comfortable with the way you converse.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If France plays like they did against Australia, Peru has a good chance.
Totally, but I don't expect Peru to defend with 10 men behind the ball.
France usually has trouble against regrouped teams.
OTOH, Peru will be more of a threat to score as well.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Danish football is more than mediocre to me.

doubt it would help to explain why.

But I think I am going to close this convo.

I am not too comfortable with the way you converse.
Well, okay, did't want to be offensive. But that's the way I see the Danish team.They are not good enough to do much damage.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Denmark reminds me a bit of the Czechs. They've had some good teams but the pool to pick players from just isn't big enough to avoid bad stretches if some of your talents just don't develop as well as expected.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Denmark reminds me a bit of the Czechs. They've had some good teams but the pool to pick players from just isn't big enough to avoid bad stretches if some of your talents just don't develop as well as expected.

The weird thing about Denmark is that similar to the Czechs in 2006, their players actually developed properly. Their manager just simply doesn't pick the best team or implement a system that suits their players. Eriksen should have the ball to be the playmaker 99% of the time. Instead they for some reason played through Sisto and other wide players who weren't good.

Overall though, yeah, their player pool is too small.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Well, okay, did't want to be offensive. But that's the way I see the Danish team.They are not good enough to do much damage.
I believe they have the individual talent, but not the team if that makes sense.

But I do believe that can change. Thid was Peru being good, but also Denmark being ill prepared and not playing up to their standards.

But we can agree to disagree.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
The weird thing about Denmark is that similar to the Czechs in 2006, their players actually developed properly. Their manager just simply doesn't pick the best team or implement a system that suits their players. Eriksen should have the ball to be the playmaker 99% of the time. Instead they for some reason played through Sisto and other wide players who weren't good.

Agreed!

But people forget Denmark only has 5.5m people, so depth will never not be a problem.

That they manage to qualify for the wc and ec regularly is big in it self.
Especially considering they do well in other sports aswell.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I might rate Christensen & Vestegaard more than any non-Dane, but the Nedved & Rosicky Czechs they ain't.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Playing Kvist over Wass, Hojberg not developing as hoped, and Dolberg's underwhelming season, don't help.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Peru were so unlucky and deserved at the very least a draw. Schmeical was fantastic, his father would be proud.

Reactions: cgf

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
That's why FIFA has to change format to allow some 3rd place teams to advance.

This is why we need big groups, so we can enjoy good group-matches. We cannot expect teams who lose to advance for long anyways. Personally, I would love bigger groups of 6, so we can have a good, long group-stage, where draws are bad for you. But if you lose in the group-stage, you cannot expect to be a lucky loser and keep on going.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This is why we need big groups, so we can enjoy good group-matches. We cannot expect teams who lose to advance for long anyways. Personally, I would love bigger groups of 6, so we can have a good, long group-stage, where draws are bad for you. But if you lose in the group-stage, you cannot expect to be a lucky loser and keep on going.

2026 World Cup with 16 groups of 3 should help this. Only one team from each would be left out from the knock out rounds

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I think that five games in a group would be way too much. This isn't hockey. The total number of games (the entire tournament) shouldn't be more than 7-8. FIFA used to have a format where best 3rd place teams would qualify as well, and I believe that FIFA should bring it back. This format makes 3rd round group matches much more meaningful, and "groups of death" - less deadly. For example, Portugal qualified for the EURO-2016 playoffs finishing third (three points from three ties) and then won the tournament. A lot of good teams might go home too early in the FIFA World Cup.

Last edited:

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
2026 World Cup with 16 groups of 3 should help this. Only one team from each would be left out from the knock out rounds
Just two games per group? Too little for warmup. Plus some groups could have two good teams, where one would get knocked out only after two games.

Reactions: King 88

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

16 groups of 3 is exactly horrible and awful.

You need a draw in your first game. If you get a draw, you are happy. We don't want teams to play for a draw, do we? Especially where both teams wants a draw.

If you lose your first match, you know you will be the team the two other teams agrees should go, and they will play accordingly.

This plan of three-team-groups are a nightmare.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

You need a draw in your first game. If you get a draw, you are happy. We don't want teams to play for a draw, do we? Especially where both teams wants a draw.

If you lose your first match, you know you will be the team the two other teams agrees should go, and they will play accordingly.

How would that work, exactly?

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just two games per group? Too little for warmup. Plus some groups could have two good teams, where one would get knocked out only after two games.

Luckily for the groups with two good teams both teams will make it through to the knock out round. They will also be introducing a round of 32 following the group stage.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Luckily for the groups with two good teams both teams will make it through to the knock out round. They will also be introducing a round of 32 following the group stage.
I see two problems with this: 48 teams - way too many participants for the World Cup, and two games - just isn't enough for the group stage.

Reactions: King 88

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

There are cons to it. Something on the positive side however is that we would get 16 more knock out games through the introduction of the round of 32

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad