GDT: Group C • May 4 • Sweden 6, United States 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
:amazed:

I don't watch this tournament, just freaked out looking at team usa's goaltenders for this one....where are all the others?

See the roster thread. Most of them decline, including Miller (who had an injury-plagued year and a concussion late in the season), Quick, Clemmensen, Anderson, et al. And even if Miller was healthy, he probably would claim fatigue from a heavy work load and choose not to go. It's nothing new for Team USA, every year the top players decline and we're left with the Mike Browns and Tim Stapletons of the world to fill out our roster.

backcheck42

Feb 2, 2011
Ugh, USA's regulation loss today means they have to play Canada on Friday. That's going to be ugly.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Can anyone give me their impressions of Berglund's overall game?

Beast so far. He's done exactly what you could have expected. Scoring, controlling the puck, being physical, winning faceoffs, killing penalties. He's our #1 center and go-to guy in a lot of areas.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Beast so far. He's done exactly what you could have expected. Scoring, controlling the puck, being physical, winning faceoffs, killing penalties. He's our #1 center and go-to guy in a lot of areas.

Great news. Looks like he's continuing to play like he did towards the 2nd half of the NHL season.

This is really big for him. I hope that equals a substantial increase in production next year.

When he's on he's really enjoyable to watch.

I DVR'd the game so I'll be watching tonight when I get home.

Thanks.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Our two top lines are significantly better at controlling the play, and USA had quite many PP's where he's not one of the major PK guys on the team, and he doesn't play PP either afaik. So he's pretty much strictly a 5on5 energy guy on this team, which he's buying into perfectly. In short, his smaller minutes was because he's not playing on the special teams. Our 4th line also had a really good game (Sjögren 1+2, Ericsson 1+1), so that might have reduced them a bit aswell.

Yeah, but that surprises me a little. He's got a very good defensive game (one of the highlights of his overall game) and I would have expected him to be on the PK but I didn't see him out there. I know he's young and maybe he just needs some time to mature and gain some more respect from the coach (and it's entirely possible that I have Sens glasses on) but, from what I've seen, he should be getting more of a role with the way he's played. He could easily play on the top line or 2nd line ahead of Nilsson or Thornberg.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Glad Kruger scored, obviously, didn't have to do much but chip it in the empty net, but hopefully he'll gain some confidence.

dr-nix

Beware of the Bunny!
Feb 7, 2005
Berglund = The next Sundin

Berglund is Berglund, it's very unfair to compare him to Sundin (cause i don't agree).

He was solid, steady with the puck and had good positioning. Worked well with his linemates Pääjärvi (Edmonton) and Thörnberg (KHL). Montoya was horrible in goal though so i would take the goal production with a grain of salt.

Reminded me of Ersberg, who played against Norway. He was so bad that if the guy gets one more game i'll steal a rowboat and paddle across the water and ****ing run to Slovakia and kick the **** out of MÃ¥rts with a paddle. I don't know what the Ersberg has done in the past few years since he left Sweden for NHL (and now KHL) but he clearly hasn't developed alot. With that said he'll probably play against France (our next opponent) but the guy should be anywhere but on the ice come playoff time.

Last edited:

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
Canada versus USA will be great. It should be good hockey because of the rivalry while both teams know that it's not their best there. It's a fun exhibition game, basically. At least between fans who know enough to realize that neither Canada nor US have their top teams on the ice.

dr-nix

Beware of the Bunny!
Feb 7, 2005
Canada versus USA will be great. It should be good hockey because of the rivalry while both teams know that it's not their best there. It's a fun exhibition game, basically. At least between fans who know enough to realize that neither Canada nor US have their top teams on the ice.

Afaik nobody has their best team there. It's not a secret.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Just caught the game....

- Game was closer than the score indicated but Sweden deserved to win. You can't hand Sweden their first 2 goals and expect to win.

- Didn't handle Sweden's puck possession and movement in the offensive zone well. Half the guys running around chasing hits and the other half standing around just defending an area. Not a good combination.

- USA made it too easy on Fasth by missing the net a lot. You can't do that against a puck possession team. Fasth played well though and made some big stops. He'd like the second goal back (more of a bad break for him then anything) but he did his part.

- Ugly game by Montoya. Off his angle quite a bit. Gave away the second goal. Soft goals on the 4th and 5th ones as well.

- USA needs to mix up the PP options more. You can't completely neglect half the ice and only run the play through Stepan, especially when you have Fowler, Johnson, and Shattenkirk. Stepan is great but his job is tough when the PK knows it's going to him every time.

- Stuart and Komisarek as a pair is just asking for trouble. Two knuckleheads that can't move the puck. The Stuart turnover on the 1st goal was gross but not all that unexpected. I don't understand why one isn't paired with Wilson and the other with Fayne. Baffling.

- I really like Craig Smith's game. I think he has Joe Pavelski type upside. Nashville has a good one on their hands.

- I don't understand why we added Paul Gaustad unless he's the only guy that was willing to play.

Last edited:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

Best Swede by far. Has had some really monstrous shifts in the tournament.

I had him pegged as the next Sundin a few years back, but had almsot given up on that "dream" until this season - and especially from what I've seen in the WC. I haven't seen a single skater better than him. Strong as heck, fast, great stickhandling, good shot and just plain smart.

He's pretty decent;) I hope he gets a real playmate and more icetime next season, in which case I seriously believe he can land around 90 points.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Best Swede by far. Has had some really monstrous shifts in the tournament.

I had him pegged as the next Sundin a few years back, but had almsot given up on that "dream" until this season

I remember you calling him all sorts of thing, although I don't believe 'the next Sundin' was one of them ;) More like how you go on about Backlund nowadays. If we wait a couple of years those words might turn into 'the next Forsberg' :sarcasm:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I remember you calling him all sorts of thing, although I don't believe 'the next Sundin' was one of them ;) More like how you go on about Backlund nowadays. If we wait a couple of years those words might turn into 'the next Forsberg' :sarcasm:

What? I've always seen Berglund's potential to be a star, but got a little confounded when he didn't progress in the way I thought he would. But he's getting there:)

Backlund is crap!;)

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Hehe..

I agree that Berglund is great, but I think Backlund could become a good player too, maybe not the level of Berglund though. But he's hardly been given a chance so far in this tournament and hasn't been worse than Berglund was last time around. He was great in the WJC's and has done well for Calgary. I hope he gets a chance to prove himself against France. That game should be in the bag anyway.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Just caught the game....

- Game was closer than the score indicated but Sweden deserved to win. You can't hand Sweden their first 2 goals and expect to win.

- Didn't handle Sweden's puck possession and movement in the offensive zone well. Half the guys running around chasing hits and the other half standing around just defending an area. Not a good combination.

- USA made it too easy on Fasth by missing the net a lot. You can't do that against a puck possession team. Fasth played well though and made some big stops. He'd like the second goal back (more of a bad break for him then anything) but he did his part.

- Ugly game by Montoya. Off his angle quite a bit. Gave away the second goal. Soft goals on the 4th and 5th ones as well.

- USA needs to mix up the PP options more. You can't completely neglect half the ice and only run the play through Stepan, especially when you have Fowler, Johnson, and Shattenkirk. Stepan is great but his job is tough when the PK knows it's going to him every time.

- Stuart and Komisarek as a pair is just asking for trouble. Two knuckleheads that can't move the puck. The Stuart turnover on the 1st goal was gross but not all that unexpected. I don't understand why one isn't paired with Wilson and the other with Fayne. Baffling.

- I really like Craig Smith's game. I think he has Joe Pavelski type upside. Nashville has a good one on their hands.

- I don't understand why we added Paul Gaustad unless he's the only guy that was willing to play.

I had the same impressions. What's the common denominator? Scott Gordon as coach. He proved stubborn with the Isles, stubborn with the U.S. team last year, and stubborn again this year. Apparently, he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. Poor coaching seems to be the death knell for so many U.S. teams....

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
What? I've always seen Berglund's potential to be a star, but got a little confounded when he didn't progress in the way I thought he would. But he's getting there:)

Backlund is crap!;)

Here's an interesting, honest article on Berglund translated into english on a Blues message board that would more or less explains Bergy's sub-par year last year.

Bottom line: the kid has figured it out what it takes off the ice to succeed at this level.

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=796025

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad