• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Once again, there are logical and valid reasons to jeer your team kneeling. Whether they conform to your opinions and beliefs, or not, does not determine whether it's 'disgusting.'

Supporting bigotry may be a logical reason to jeer, but I'm not sure it's a valid one.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Sure, that's why they felt compelled to boo it...because they are sick of racism & just don't think that kneeling is the most effective way of combating it...

Well...if you saw your national team kneeling for no real reason other than conformity to a movement that they don't support or feel is congruent with the values of their country, do you not think that is a compelling reason to boo something?

Because I do.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Russian team is just not that good. Clearly outclassed . They randomly had a stronger showing in 2018 but the Russian soccer program is just not very good. Don't think i know a single player.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
A few more goals for Belgium would have been nice, but still a dominant win.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Russian team is just not that good. Clearly outclassed . They randomly had a stronger showing in 2018 but the Russian soccer program is just not very good. Don't think i know a single player.

they aren't a power house but they had a great inspiring run in 18. Lost in PK's to Croatia

member 305909

Looking at this Russian team gives Denmark hope that they may still have a good chance of getting out of the group thanks to the tournament-format.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
they aren't a power house but they had a great inspiring run in 18. Lost in PK's to Croatia

Idk pretty sure everybody including their own fans expected their team to get slaughtered in the group stage 2018 IRC . Yes the team ultimately had a much better showing than expected but when things go normal they can be just be happy they managed to qualify for the tournament

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In their minds, they see the players kneeling as bigots. So your argument is pretty silly.

Then they are wrong and represent the worst aspects of our culture, encapsulating everything that embarrasses me about being russian.

Showing solidarity with the radical notion that people should not be harassed or oppressed due to their genetics, is in no way bigoted.

And if the idiots in the stadium are too thick to understand that, that is due to them choosing to remain ignorant. Not some cultural quirk that others need to just accept because we are all too stupid to know any better.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well...if you saw your national team kneeling for no real reason other than conformity to a movement that they don't support or feel is congruent with the values of their country, do you not think that is a compelling reason to boo something?

Because I do.

They jeered the opposing team kneeling, in part because of the abuse that players on that very team have had to endure during their careers. Try again.

You can't spin racism as some cultural value we should be proud of.

Reactions: Jussi and Blender

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Because I do.

This is the same city that showed Malcolm a banner saying he wasn't welcome at Zenit because he was black. Get the f*** outta here.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I saw Russia vs Bulgaria last week and honestly this isn't a good Russia team. They won that against a pretty meh Bulgaria side, but Bulgaria wasn't really apparently worse in any way. I don't think tbf anyone thought that 2018 'run' was anything but smokes & mirrors.

Reactions: robertmac43

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This is the same city that showed Malcolm a banner saying he wasn't welcome at Zenit because he was black. Get the f*** outta here.
Yup and that s*** has gotten nastier in my lifetime.

Where the propaganda that my parent's generation was taught about black folk was filled with that noble-savage crap because it focused exclusively on how western european & american' greed cruelly oppressed them...which created a profoundly condescending (but not intentionally mean-spirited) ignorance...racism in russia now is a lot more directly malicious & ugly.

Reactions: luiginb

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yup and that s*** has gotten nastier in my lifetime.

Where the propaganda that my parent's generation was taught about black folk was filled with that noble-savage crap because it focused exclusively on how western european & american' greed cruelly oppressed them...which created a profoundly condescending (but not intentionally mean-spirited) ignorance...racism in russia now is a lot more directly malicious & ugly.

Yeah, and...it's one thing to not agree with anti-racism movements. If someone feels that way I don't agree with them, but fine. But if you spread pro-segregation material amongst your fans, and make a pro-segregation banner, and then boo some players who are making a statement that everyone knows is ultimately pointless because we know people don't change? Then there's something wrong with the area and the people in the stadium. A lot of the kneeling is directly in response to players regularly being called racial slurs on social media, or even to their face. And in this case the booing fits a stereotype people already have about Russia. All in all, very bad showing and hardly surprising that people always want this team to lose.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I saw Russia vs Bulgaria last week and honestly this isn't a good Russia team. They won that against a pretty meh Bulgaria side, but Bulgaria wasn't really apparently worse in any way. I don't think tbf anyone thought that 2018 'run' was anything but smokes & mirrors.

It's definitely not a great team, but they can be a lot more cohesive with the ball if they utilized their squad better. Miranchuk has to start alongside Golovin for that to happen and both need to play well...while it also wouldn't hurt to move on from some of the oldies who were on their last legs a couple of cycles ago...but the talent is there to give Denmark a run for that second spot; especially after today's other result in this group.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's definitely not a great team, but they can be a lot more cohesive with the ball if they utilized their squad better. Miranchuk has to start alongside Golovin for that to happen and both need to play well...while it also wouldn't hurt to move on from some of the oldies who were on their last legs a couple of cycles ago...but the talent is there to give Denmark a run for that second spot; especially after today's other result in this group.

That other result is a life line for sure, but would I pick them over Denmark? Eriksen's absence will give them a chance but all in all Denmark is probably the better team still.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Most Eastern Europeans are racist, homophobic and xenophobic, that's why they're booing. If they ever start a movement in the west called "Roma lives matter" it's going to be met with even more hostility.

I'm not going to go that far and say that about the whole population. But I do think the people who go to football definitely are and they prove it constantly. The English fans who usually go to these tournaments are in the same boat too. That's why them and Russia had so many incidents last time in France. It's a supporter culture issue, because the fans of the other British teams, and of Ireland aren't like this. It's extremely stupid and that's really all I have to say about this subject.

Reactions: Evilo and luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I'm not going to go that far and say that about the whole population. But I do think the people who go to football definitely are and they prove it constantly. The English fans who usually go to these tournaments are in the same boat too. That's why them and Russia had so many incidents last time in France. It's a supporter culture issue, because the fans of the other British teams, and of Ireland aren't like this. It's extremely stupid and that's really all I have to say about this subject.
I'm Eastern European myself, and 1/4 Roma to boot, which is a fact I've always had to hide.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Russian ultras are scum & many supporters clubs actively recruit just the s***tiest people...especially such groups that have any sort of military or police connection.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The game was also incredibly boring for what it's worth. Belgium and Russia play each other a little too frequently for my liking. With Hazard unfit and KdB out Belgium also lacks some of the punch needed that would make things more interesting. They feel like they have shackles on their potential.

Reactions: Madifer

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That other result is a life line for sure, but would I pick them over Denmark? Eriksen's absence will give them a chance but all in all Denmark is probably the better team still.

I'd favor Denmark as well, but if russia sends out its best 11 for that match, I wouldn't be surprised by any result. On top of the players just playing poorly, they set out with a very negative lineup...again...and managed to do so without even leaving a third CB to try & contain Lukaku.

Miranchuk & Golovin are the only two on this team I have any faith in driving the ball forward into dangerous areas, and with only one of them on the pitch the attacking play is just too impotent.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

I don't think Denmark will do anything at all here. What happened to Eriksen is obviously a really big deal mentally, but physically what they lose on their team with him gone is just too much. They have a win against Israel without him in WC qualifying but we aren't talking about them playing Israel here. They don't have much that they can use to create through the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad