Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This game is in St. Petersburg. Russia is technically banned from the next World Cup due to doping history, but if that actually happens or not is anyone's guess. With that being the case obviously the players should be motivated to do well in this tournament given they may not play in another one for some time. They also have some good players who didn't feature in the last World Cup. I like Miranchuk for one. And Sobolev is a powerhouse in the air.

Belgium is obviously in the position of being on the road, and there's only two times in the first round of group games where the favorite in a group is on the road. France is the other and they play in Germany. This format is absolutely absurd and stupid. Belgium is the better team but I don't think it's going to be easy to predict when and how the conditions of the game are going to have an impact.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
What’s a hazard hatrick? Burger before the game, injury in the 30min mark and?

Joking and laughing with opposing players after losing the game?

I think if we have the same focus as in the Croatia game last week, we should win this comfortably. Still about 4 question marks heading into the game. The central CB position will be either Denayer or Vermaelen. The RWB will probably be Castagne, I think he's outplayed Meunier. The LWB will be either T.Hazard or Chadli. Carrasco and Lukaku are locks up front but who will join them, Mertens or Doku? From an experience standpoint, probably Mertens.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think Belgium will take this one.
Russia is probably the biggest choker in the world after Nigeria and some other African nations. Russia is going to struggle a lot even though they probably finish third, their players throughout Europe has fallen to probably the lowest point I've ever seen it. There is not even one Ruskie currently playing in the EPL, zero in BuLi, only one in Ligue 1, and two in Serie A.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Russia is probably the biggest choker in the world after Nigeria and some other African nations. Russia is going to struggle a lot even though they probably finish third, their players throughout Europe has fallen to probably the lowest point I've ever seen it. There is not even one Ruskie currently playing in the EPL, zero in BuLi, only one in Ligue 1, and two in Serie A.

Hasn't it always been like that though? When they were so good at Euro 2008 almost their entire squad played at Zenit, CSKA or one of the other Moscow clubs. None in the big leagues.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Arshavin was on some good shit in 2008 too. I remember almost everyone on this forum commented on it during the Netherlands game. That guy was running faster and harder than any football player in history. I think most dope but he was on something extra.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
They really did have a top squad back then. I think Zenit also won the Europa in the same year, and a couple years prior CSKA as well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nah, that's poland ;-)

Reactions: S E P H

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
We saw in 2018 that Russia can really surprise people playing at home, but I think Belgium wins this one. I'll say 2-1 - Vertonghen from a corner, then Artem Dzuyba, then Lukaku.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
That’s not because they’re not good enough to play in Europe, but because they’re paid a lot playing home, Russia qualifies for almost every major tournament and made it to the top 8 in the last World Cup.

Belgium, however, is statistically the hardest opponent for Russia in the recent years, we just can’t handle their offense.

That said, the home crowd, the absence of KDB and Hazard should give Russia a chance to get points.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Man imagine Lukaku, he has to come in play after the Eriksen injury.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
upload_2021-6-12_14-1-48.png

Eden Hazard not even starting.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Eden Hazard not even starting.

He wasn't expected to play in the opener on the basis of his match fitness alone, no?

Right alongside De Bruyne on the injured list is another member of Belgium’s highly touted “golden generation,” winger Eden Hazard, who is working his way back to something resembling full fitness following a nightmarish, injury-riddled season at Real Madrid.

The 30-year-old isn’t expected to start against Russia, just as he didn’t during Belgium’s pre-EURO 2020 friendlies. Even once he reaches full fitness, there’s a strong case to be made that Hazard isn’t currently one of Martinez’s 11 best players and he should remain an impact substitute when Belgium heads into the knockout rounds.

Belgium star De Bruyne ruled out of EURO 2020 opener; Hazard update

Reactions: Blender

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why the eff is Belgium playing a back line of five against Russia?

Hasn't it always been like that though? When they were so good at Euro 2008 almost their entire squad played at Zenit, CSKA or one of the other Moscow clubs. None in the big leagues.
Maybe I was wrong in terms of players being mercenaries throughout Europe since Russia has always been closed off to the Western Flank. However, it seems to me that a lot of hype has died down from their prospects and players. When was the last time we heard of the next Alexander Golovin, Akinfeev, or Dzagoev coming from the country in the past 3-5 years? I see that their squad is quite young and seems a passing of the torch, but I admit I know almost nothing (like 75%) of this squad at the Euros.

Nah, that's poland ;-)
*Sees last world cup results*, definitely do not disagree.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Why the eff is Belgium playing a back line of five against Russia?

Maybe I was wrong in terms of players being mercenaries throughout Europe since Russia has always been closed off to the Western Flank. However, it seems to me that a lot of hype has died down from their prospects and players. When was the last time we heard of the next Alexander Golovin, Akinfeev, or Dzagoev coming from the country in the past 3-5 years? I see that their squad is quite young and seems a passing of the torch, but I admit I know almost nothing (like 75%) of this squad at the Euros.

*Sees last world cup results*, definitely do not disagree.
Russia had a domestic player rule for a long time that inflate the salaries of young russian talents above what anyone in bigger leagues would pay...which kept a lot of young russians in russia, at clubs that they weren't ready to actually contribute much for. Not sure that rule is still in place, but the pattern of overpaying russian talents early hasn't changed.

...though you've still got occasional guys like Golovin & Miranchuk, who were simply too good not to go abroad; like Arshavin did & Dzagoev should've.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
De Bruyne has a chance of playing in this tournament? Didn't he just break an orbital bone?

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
De Bruyne has a chance of playing in this tournament? Didn't he just break an orbital bone?

He'll get a protective mask, it's safe to play that way

Also, no we're not playing a back five, it's the usual 3-4-3. Boyata playing doesn't make sense though when you have Denayer and Vermaelen

Reactions: Static
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad