GDT: Group B - May 13 - Russia vs Czech Republic

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
This was not the Czech game at all. Guys got heavy legs, there was way too little energy and dynamics. It was the opposite to the Sweden game, where the team seemed boosted with energy, today it simply was not the right day.
Hronek's dive after that roughing was needles, I understand he was frustrated and in desperation, but it could be 6 on 4 if he didn't try to show the referee how ugly misconduct it was.
Still this was just one group stage game, no disaster.

Reactions: Chevx

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I agree about Bobrovsky and Panarin... it's almost as though 95% of the best Russian team possible got eliminated early.

Yes, it's a mere coincidence. Plus a few Russians have no new contracts, so they didn't come to the WC. Here's the list of stars that didn't make it: Panarin, Tarasenko, Radulov, Provorov, and Bob.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
FTR - I'd even agree Russia has better players overall. We don't get to 6th in the world by accident.lol
This ranking could be deceiving though. I think that it's more indicative of the depth. Unfortunately, we don't have any tournaments that could measure the top strength of teams.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, there is now a good chance, we'll win the group, but it's hard to say, what place is the best. Slovakia will probably be the 4th, and they play at home, so are very dangerous.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sorry, but I watched every single game. Stats don't tell the story that he is a giveaway machine these playoffs. He had some short bursts of being himself, but he is not living up to his potential of the top goal scorer on the team. Krejci, on the other hand, I don't have enough good words to say.

I've watched very game too.. Top 10 points and Top 5 goals seems about right. His regular season was outstanding too. Still wonder how he got hurt (my guess is drunken fall.lol).

Babula

May 31, 2012
Sorry, but I watched every single game. Stats don't tell the story that he is a giveaway machine these playoffs. He had some short bursts of being himself, but he is not living up to his potential of the top goal scorer on the team. Krejci, on the other hand, I don't have enough good words to say.

So why is bottom six doing better right now than top six ?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Well, there is now a good chance, we'll win the group, but it's hard to say, what place is the best. Slovakia will probably be the 4th, and they play at home, so are very dangerous.
Yeah, it looks like no matter where we finish the group stage, quarterfinals will be tough.

However, avoiding USA and Canada is preferred

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
So why is bottom six doing better right now than top six ?

Sorry - do not understand the question. Boston's top 6 right now are used heavily in checking role - Bergeron - Marchand - Pastrnak are their typical match-against-the-top line selves. Bottom six are doing better because they are matched against weaker lines and defense pairings and are doing really well.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I wouldn't overlook that Swedish squad. If they beat you in regulation.. it could be a very ugly 3 way tie still.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
I've watched very game too.. Top 10 points and Top 5 goals seems about right. His regular season was outstanding too. Still wonder how he got hurt (my guess is drunken fall.lol).

We had people clamoring on B's board to sit him for a game - especially after game 5. Pucks came to die on his stick. He was moderately better in Columbus series, but not by much. He had a decent game yesterday, but the last period reverted to giving up the puck. He's better than that and I am also wondering if he is still recovering from the broken thumb.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This ranking could be deceiving though. I think that it's more indicative of the depth. Unfortunately, we don't have any tournaments that could measure the top strength of teams.

Thank god! We're at least 2 years away from a competitive best on best team...

Babula

May 31, 2012
Sorry - do not understand the question. Boston's top 6 right now are used heavily in checking role - Bergeron - Marchand - Pastrnak are their typical match-against-the-top line selves. Bottom six are doing better because they are matched against weaker lines and defense pairings and are doing really well.

Ok. I was thinking about some possibly injuries or anything... good for Boston team, they have these "Bottom lines"

Reactions: nazartp

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes, it's a mere coincidence. Plus a few Russians have no new contracts, so they didn't come to the WC. Here's the list of stars that didn't make it: Panarin, Tarasenko, Radulov, Provorov, and Bob.

Now think of who Canada is missing... McDavid, Crosby, Weber, Doughty, Subban, Price, Tavares, Marner...

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
We had people clamoring on B's board to sit him for a game - especially after game 5. Pucks came to die on his stick. He was moderately better in Columbus series, but not by much. He had a decent game yesterday, but the last period reverted to giving up the puck. He's better than that and I am also wondering if he is still recovering from the broken thumb.
Guys on the boards want to sit your 2nd leading playoff scorer (3 way tie)?

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...r=team.6&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points

If this happens, please send him to Bratislava!lol

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
Guys on the boards want to sit your 2nd leading playoff scorer (3 way tie)?

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...r=team.6&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points

If this happens, please send him to Bratislava!lol
I know, it was somewhat silly, but he does look bad with all the giveaways. He was easily one of the worst players in Toronto series, except his heroics in game 6. In that series he reminded me of himself in his first year with the B's. Hope he plays better going forward - B's will need their top line scoring.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Russia was definitely better... hats off to them. So many game breakers! We had over a dozen goals going into the game... you'd think we could score 1. Kovar on the breakaway, the 2 posts. Mind you, Russia had a lot more breakaways and a post themselves. I'd say it went exactly how it should've for them. Not sure if a Faksa or Francouz would've helped our cause today (or a Gulas?).

Czechs looked very good in the 1st and at the start of the 3rd, but they were outplayed badly in the 2nd, Russia could have probably scored 4-5 goals in the period.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Now think of who Canada is missing... McDavid, Crosby, Weber, Doughty, Subban, Price, Tavares, Marner...
Of course. Canada, USA, Finland, Sweden - all of these teams are missing stars. I wasn't trying to make a point that only the Russians and the Czechs were missing players.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad