Euro: Group B: England vs. Russia, 6/11/2016

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Related to the game, I read something I couldn't believe...that England has never won their opening game at the Euros. Don't really see them starting now either.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yep. The twitter bios of all the people retweeted on it lead to a joke site. I assume the videos posted on it are legitimate because they couldn't fake those, but otherwise...

Well, Christ. They did seem a little bit too insane, even for drunk Brits.

One last thing on the violence, for all the talk of security and policing leading up to the tournament, the French forces seem to have been laughably ill-prepared.

For the football, I don't think England will overpower anyone, even though Russia is not much of a powerhouse. 1-0 to England and in unconvincing fashion.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I dunno LITN. These tweets seem totally realistic ;)

Small group of #ENG fans completely naked chasing women around Marseille city centre. Absolutely repulsive, illegal and embarrassing.

#ENG fans in their thousands, collectively chanting "Refugees **** off to Pakistan, we're voting to leave the EU". Very distasteful.

I'm back, was stabbed in Paris on Thursday morning. I've arrived in Marseille to provide match updates at Russia vs England. @ForestEchoNews

#ENG fans have now resorted to tying a #RUS ultra by his shoelace to the top of a lamppost. Being used as a human pinata. This is inhumane

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The media have already made their minds up on who to blame.

Well they definitely deserve an equal share of blame. One English person in critical condition does not change that. For days now both sides have been going all over the shop causing trouble.

I was merely saying that this happens every single time Russia goes to a tournament. Sometimes with England as well, but where Russian fans go trouble follows. Wouldn't be surprised if they killed someone during the World Cup and if I had any interest in traveling to tournaments I definitely wouldn't go to that one.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I dunno LITN. These tweets seem totally realistic ;)

Small group of #ENG fans completely naked chasing women around Marseille city centre. Absolutely repulsive, illegal and embarrassing.

#ENG fans in their thousands, collectively chanting "Refugees **** off to Pakistan, we're voting to leave the EU". Very distasteful.

I'm back, was stabbed in Paris on Thursday morning. I've arrived in Marseille to provide match updates at Russia vs England. @ForestEchoNews

#ENG fans have now resorted to tying a #RUS ultra by his shoelace to the top of a lamppost. Being used as a human pinata. This is inhumane

First two are totally believable ;)

Kind of speaks to my low regard to traveling English fans, but I gave those tweets a double take and then just moved on.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Definitely not sold on England's starting 11. Seems political instead of the best squad available.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Well they definitely deserve an equal share of blame. One English person in critical condition does not change that. For days now both sides have been going all over the shop causing trouble.

I was merely saying that this happens every single time Russia goes to a tournament. Sometimes with England as well, but where Russian fans go trouble follows. Wouldn't be surprised if they killed someone during the World Cup and if I had any interest in traveling to tournaments I definitely wouldn't go to that one.

Always an element of England fans that are morons but the fact the media is avoiding a big part of the story is wrong.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Always an element of England fans that are morons but the fact the media is avoiding a big part of the story is wrong.

I'm actually quite surprised the media haven't latched onto the Russian behaviour and said "look how evil Russians are!"

But I'm sure there's another agenda at play here, might be something to do with the Hillsborough verdict a few weeks ago where the media were proven to be vicious liars, so the blame is coming back on to English fans and ignoring the Russians

I've heard about most of the Russians' action from Slava Malamud on Twitter, while the BBC headline is "Violence mars England match build-up"
England fans are embroiled in fresh clashes with police and other fans in Marseille, with one Briton seriously injured ahead of England's opening match of Euro 2016.

Nothing in that about the Russians

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Definitely not sold on England's starting 11. Seems political instead of the best squad available.

There's definitely some element of politics (Rooney) at play, but otherwise I think the team makes sense. The attempt to field a cohesive team appears to be there at first glance, it's better to do that than throw as much individual talent on the pitch and hope for the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad