GDT: Group B • May 3 • Canada 4, Switzerland 3 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nahcmo

Mar 2, 2011
Same thing that happens in any NHL rink in the playoffs when the visiting team knocks someone down. What's the big deal?

I don't recall hearing loud whistles (or at least as loud as ones in WHC games) throughout NHL games but I guess as joe89 pointed out below, it's more "boos" than whistles in North America.

Refs in Europe are known to fall for the pressure of the fans. You boo enough when your player gets hit/hooked/hold and you're likely to draw a penalty eventually. But I'm pretty sure the same thing happens in North America, the booing at least..

Ahh okay, so it's like the equivalent to booing, except more annoying sounding. ;)

Davebo*

Good hit IMO, but Phaneuf should be out of this game per IIHF rules.

540. Checking to the head and neck area
a) A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body or equipment to the head and neck area of an opposing player or "drives" or "forces" the head of an opposing player into the protective glass on boards [...]

b) A player who injures an opponent as result of checking to the head and neck area shall be assessed a:
- Match Penalty

He hit him shoulder to chest it appeared. I saw no contact to the head

Your rule does not apply in this case.

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
Refs in Europe are known to fall for the pressure of the fans. You boo enough when your player gets hit/hooked/hold and you're likely to draw a penalty eventually. But I'm pretty sure the same thing happens in North America, the booing at least..

Nice Jedi mind trick by Tavares.... Getting the guy to put the puck in his own net like that!

Latex*

Not in our rink, and we have the most vocal fans in the world. Although the opposition thinks otherwise....

Lol no north American fans can match Europeans in terms of Making noise, supporting and cheering in sports events.

adolfz

Oct 11, 2007
Riga
sad to see diving and embellishment is becoming greater part of the game of hockey. NHL is setting the tone :( In soccer they dive not because they are soft, but because referees are buying it and the team is getting advantage. The same seems to start happening in hockey, I can't blame Nash for it, he's doing good for his team. I blame the governing organisations of the game. The authorities of hockey need to address this issue immediately.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't recall hearing loud whistles (or at least as loud as ones in WHC games) throughout NHL games but I guess as joe89 pointed out below, it's more "boos" than whistles in North America.

Ahh okay, so it's like the equivalent to booing, except more annoying sounding. ;)

Whistling is akin to booing, yes. They're on the ref, literally chirping him. :biglaugh:

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
That was pure domination by Canada. Hopefully the Swiss can find their game a bit more in the 3rd.

Davebo*

Lol no north American fans can match Europeans in terms of Making noise, supporting and cheering in sports events.

I must admit - when it comes to using noisemakers and fireworks you guys take the cake. :sarcasm:

I'm talking sheer fan noise with no mechanical help. Beat 133 decibels... ;)

OK - now pour it on in the third, Canada.

kyle747

May 10, 2005

girlie-games like soccer are not as popular over here, so we don't scream like our hymens were just broken

Davebo*

Alright, why did Moser go all weird on the bench then? I think I saw a bit of contact to the chin.

I didn't see anything remotely like a hit to the chin.

Have you ever been hit in the chest so hard you've lost your breath? It looked like he may have been recovering from something like that - a sudden gasp.

Maybe he did get dinged in the head - I didn't see any contact, though. I expect the IIHF will look at everything. Look at that Latvian player suspended for three for a hit that wasn't penalized.

Wait and see....

nahcmo

Mar 2, 2011
Whistling is akin to booing, yes. They're on the ref, literally chirping him. :biglaugh:
:laugh:

Anyways, Canada looked good in the second. But that penalty that Nash drew towards the later part of the period looked a bit weak. Hope he pots one in the third though. I tend to hold my breath whenever I see Nash on a break. :)

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Despite only being up by a goal, this has been Canada's best effort and easily most complete game so far. Pure domination.

You gotta give credit to the Swiss though, they are annoying as **** to play against and play a style that is perfect for the limited talent they have to work with. I hate playing against them, and that's exactly the way they want to make the opposition feel.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
He hit him shoulder to chest it appeared. I saw no contact to the head

Your rule does not apply in this case.

IIHF also made amendments to that rule for this season, re: the the player on the receiving end keeping his head down or not following the play and the player making the hit not changing his stance(thus making the hit more legal).

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Just saw the replay, Phaneuf hit his elbow in the head of Moser, cannot say if it was a penalty or not according to the IIHF-rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad