GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Canada 5, Sweden 6 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Oh boy, this thread is going crazy. Some canadian fans are ridiculous. Just about every player for canada has been bashed during this tournament.
Wasn't Justin Pogge lights out in this tournament?
he was and he became a bust off of 20 nhl games.

EDIT:sorry, 7
Check out the goal scored against him against the Czech Rep. (I think) where he ducks. Second goal. I vomited.
Like I said, every nhl goaltender does that.

Semin

Jun 13, 2009
Pierre McGuire mentioning that Olsen attempts to kill his own goalie on a regular basis.

Its one thing to clear the crease after the whistle, but don't dump someone on top of your tender. I mean I can understand why hes pushing people on Roy but you still shouldn't do it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
he's had a bad tournament, but he definitely doesn't "blow balls"

Everyone struggles, roy just struggled at a very bad time.

You can't judge an 18 year old goalie based on 3 games.

I don't have to. Scouts and coaches will.

Have fun in the Austrian League!

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
If not now, then when should he bring his "A" game?

He has some horrible tendencies. Can't catch, plays the whole game on his knees, ducks on high shots. Etc.

Well his play over the last 3 years pretty clearly shows this isn't his "A" game. It's not really something you decide to bring or not. We are playing against tough competition and he has been fighting the puck and the traffic in front all tournament so it's a recipe for a bad showing right now.

Personally, at this point I don't think he will be more than a backup NHL goalie, but comments after every play of "Roy sucks balls" is just a little annoying and pointless. (directed at others)

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
Remember Olivier Roy, boys and girls, because when you hear from him in the future, it'll be at the Spengler Cup playing for a team out of Italy or something. He's not elite.

Don`t even begin to talk about Olivier Roy. You`re basing this off of what? The 4 games you`ve seen him play? I`ve watched him for 2-3 years and people say after time that`s when you start to see flaws. Roy got better as time progressed in Cape Breton before being traded to Acadie-Bathurst in an attempt to rebuild our roster. The fact people here think they are smarter or better are judging who should and shouldn`t play more than the Team Canada coaches is ridiculous. Especially when it`s Dave Cameron, who has every reason to play Visentin, with him playing in the OHL. They know what they`re doing.

As far as ducking, yes it`s noticeable, but a lot of shots are going at his head, and he`s a smaller goalie. Most times pucks go at a goalies helmet it`s through traffic and he can`t see them. You can`t say it`s a bad thing when you duck because a solid piece of rubber is flying at your head at high speed. That`s human nature. You can`t break that habit. You`re built to duck when somethings coming at your face.

oilerfanatic

Oct 12, 2005
Siberia
he's had a bad tournament, but he definitely doesn't "blow balls"

Everyone struggles, roy just struggled at a very bad time.

You can't judge an 18 year old goalie based on 3 games.

good players shine on the international stage..he's in over his head here and the pressure is getting to him..not good signs for a goalie..plus he's small in stature so that doesn't bode well..i say this as an oiler fan.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Its one thing to clear the crease after the whistle, but don't dump someone on top of your tender. I mean I can understand why hes pushing people on Roy but you still shouldn't do it.

If I did that to my goalie he'd hack and slash me every chance he got. One of the first rules you learn is that you don't risk injuring your goalie when you clear the front of the net.

I'm assuming Olsen is usually a good player, but this tournament he's just looked lost.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Oh boy, this thread is going crazy. Some canadian fans are ridiculous. Just about every player for canada has been bashed during this tournament.

The Canadian squad lacks high end skills it would seem. Fans don't like that. Sweden looks much better and has generated the better scoring chances ... in the small sections of the game I've seen anyway.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

I'm trying to do my best to tell people one game doesn't make someone "blow balls"...I think we have seen that with Schenn already as well...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Well his play over the last 3 years pretty clearly shows this isn't his "A" game. It's not really something you decide to bring or not. We are playing against tough competition and he has been fighting the puck and the traffic in front all tournament so it's a recipe for a bad showing right now.

Personally, at this point I don't think he will be more than a backup NHL goalie, but comments after every play of "Roy sucks balls" is just a little annoying and pointless. (directed at others)

Fair enough, but he is playing elite players and looking weak. In junior, he's playing guys who may or may not have hockey careers in two years, or they may be driving a truck or delivering pizza.

When you are in an elite game, you better play well or you risk exposing yourself as unfit to play in the show.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don't have to. Scouts and coaches will.

Have fun in the Austrian League!

And where are these scouting reports saying roy is a bad goaltender?

I'm willing to admit he has had a bad tournament, sure he has no D but thats no excuse.

3 games, which is all everyone in this thread is basing this on, does not make or break a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad