Euro: Group A: France vs. Romania, 6/10/2016

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's not a mockery. It's a celebration.

It's a celebration typically reserved for a long sequence of completed passes signifying dominance and technical superiority, hence the bullfighting-like cheer i.e. akin to the moment the superior matador evades the charging bull with elegance.

It's not meant for a team that's playing for time deep into injury time vs an exhausted opponent who gave them a much better game than they had expected. Only the French would get the idea to do this in this particular scenario, you'd never see an English or German crowd do it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's a celebration typically reserved for a long sequence of completed passes signifying dominance and technical superiority, hence the bullfighting-like cheer i.e. akin to the moment the superior matador evades the charging bull with elegance.

It's not meant for a team that's playing for time deep into injury time vs an exhausted opponent who gave them a much better game than they had expected. Only the French would get the idea to do this in this particular scenario, you'd never see an English or German crowd do it.
:lol:
So much laughable content.
People are happy period.

English fans wouldn't do it.
They would rather fight in bars like they did two days in a row.
German fans wouldn't do it either. Last time we held a tournament in France some german fans sent a cop to a wheelchair.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Meh, good game by Romania, expected defeat. At least they weren't blown out as I expected. They have to beat Albania and Switzerland and they're in.

I think 4 points gets them through, so a Swiss tie would likely do.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
:lol:
So much laughable content.
People are happy period.

English fans wouldn't do it.
They would rather fight in bars like they did two days in a row.
German fans wouldn't do it either. Last time we held a tournament in France some german fans sent a cop to a wheelchair.

Nice deflection. Everyone knows the French don't have a good fan culture.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I think France would have lost if they faced a team with more talent up front. Defending didn't inspire too much confidence, Evra in particular was useless.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
And everyone knows you're ignorant.

Montreal... :lol:

I mentioned Montreal because they're francophone and their culture is obviously French-influenced. And the "Ole" in Montreal offended people because they did it even when the Habs weren't playing well..which applies tonight as well.

France got a lucky win and the French in the stadium who were silent and uncomfortable 5 minutes earlier act like the French team delivered a football masterpiece.

Billy Crawford

Dec 23, 2008
Paris...ish...
The French defense sucks and Evra in particular is the worst.
Pogba and Griezmann with disappointing performances. At least they didn't suck like Evra...
Kante and Payet were great. And that goal... WOW! By the way I thought it was cool to see how emotional Payet was when he was subbed.

Hopefully les bleus can relax now and play better next game, although I have little to no hope that the defense will ever be good.

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
Why does it feel like so many people dislike Giroud? He seems pretty good up top, not the best but far from the worst. Is there someone else people would like to see in his place?

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I mentioned Montreal because they're francophone and their culture is obviously French-influenced. And the "Ole" in Montreal offended people because they did it even when the Habs weren't playing well..which applies tonight as well.

France got a lucky win and the French in the stadium who were silent and uncomfortable 5 minutes earlier act like the French team delivered a football masterpiece.
Having lived in both places I can tell you they are different

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Again, everybody s complaining how bad the French are.l I think the Romanians do a pretty good job so far.

They did well in the first half...missed the second...but they did well taking advantage of France's sloppiness, moreso than they forced france to give them so much space.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm glad french-Raffael got the game winner, such a delightful player.

Romania looking damn decent all things considered.

As a first gen Romanian American it would be nice if they could make some noise in this tournament but my hopes aren't high.

They've got some really fun young attacking talent that should be hitting the NT by the next euros or following WC. On top of Hagi's kid; Rotariu, Tanase, Marin, Benzar and (I'm told) Jorza have some exciting skills.

Romania seems awfully weak technically.
But they play a good tactical game.

Stanciu's the only one in that current squad who I rate much at all.

They are the only two players worth mentioning post Hagi generation. More Chivu than Mutu, who was a mess personality wise.

Chiriches has never played up to his tools, but he had some nice potential with his skill on the ball...once upon a time...

Why does it feel like so many people dislike Giroud? He seems pretty good up top, not the best but far from the worst. Is there someone else people would like to see in his place?

Benzema, HBA, Martial, Fekir, Dembele, Griezmann; take your pick.

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
They've got some really fun young attacking talent that should be hitting the NT by the next euros or following WC. On top of Hagi's kid; Rotariu, Tanase, Marin, Benzar and (I'm told) Jorza have some exciting skills.

They have a very passable World Cup qualification group, probably Poland are the favorites there but its pretty well balanced between ROU, POL, DEN. And as long as Euros stay at 24 teams, which it will, they shouldn't have problems qualifying

About Romanian talents in recent years, I know Torje was hyped like crazy but he failed at all three stints he had in the top Euro leagues (Udinese and Espanyol) and have no clue where he is now, Turkey I think?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They have a very passable World Cup qualification group, probably Poland are the favorites there but its pretty well balanced between ROU, POL, DEN. And as long as Euros stay at 24 teams, which it will, they shouldn't have problems qualifying

About Romanian talents in recent years, I know Torje was hyped like crazy but he failed at all three stints he had in the top Euro leagues (Udinese and Espanyol) and have no clue where he is now, Turkey I think?

Yeah, Torje's another one like Chiriches who had some real skill to work with, but no one every taught him to think the game sufficiently well. This is why I hope Hagi, Rotariu, Tanase & Marin; can move to european leagues where they will be better developed...would love to see Ianis in Gladbach learning from Raffael, they should get him & Avdijaj!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad