Euro: Group A: France vs. Romania, 6/10/2016

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It's a celebration typically reserved for a long sequence of completed passes signifying dominance and technical superiority, hence the bullfighting-like cheer i.e. akin to the moment the superior matador evades the charging bull with elegance.

It's not meant for a team that's playing for time deep into injury time vs an exhausted opponent who gave them a much better game than they had expected. Only the French would get the idea to do this in this particular scenario, you'd never see an English or German crowd do it.
So you think the bull is mocked, too? The people don't celebrate the matador but ridicule the bull?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Arsenal isn't meaningful enough these days for that to be an actual reason. There's no intensity in the hate for a club that virtually never hurts anyone.

Not true. I hate Reutlingen (who most certainly didn't do a thing) and Eintracht Frankfurt (been a long time since they did anything).

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Not true. I hate Reutlingen (who most certainly didn't do a thing) and Eintracht Frankfurt (been a long time since they did anything).

Sure, on an individual basis. Regional and historically grown rivalries certainly can maintain that sort of intensity. But in regards to a statement like his, where the general public hates a guy just because he plays for a certain club, that takes more than those club-specific rivalries. My statement was too abstract to work on more levels, I admit.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The Arsenal fans I know kinda hate Giroud themselves. I think Giroud is in a position similar to that of Mario Gomez i.e. he will forever be more identified by what he isn't and what he can't do than what he can do for you.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Arsenal fans I know kinda hate Giroud themselves. I think Giroud is in a position similar to that of Mario Gomez i.e. he will forever be more identified by what he isn't and what he can't do than what he can do for you.
Yeah, pretending that they like Giroud when they were thirsting for Danny Welbeck to be good enough to take his spot is a bit ridiculous.

There's a good reason people don't like him these days. He went 15 games in the league without scoring when Arsenal could have won it, so even though he finished with his highest Arsenal goal total I think people have a legitimate gripe there. Even with how many goals he scores he does have a tendency to bottle huge chances at important times.

He also started in the WC knockouts and did absolutely zero, is starting in place of a player (Benzema) who is by far better than him, of course people don't like him.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
France got a bit lucky with this one. Romania had a couple of really great chances they failed to capitalize on. That said France were better than I think they're getting credit for (at least from Evilo anyway :D ). They created their own chances and weren't far off from a couple of more goals.

Payet Man of the Match for me which is pretty obvious. I don't think Pogba was nearly as bad as he's getting credit for. Awful penalty given up by Evra. As much I would be frustrated with Deschamps as manager from a selection standpoint, I think his subs made an impact at the very least allowing Payet more freedom to roam.

As good as France's midfield is defensively, they can only do so much. I would probably switch up the defense. France can go far in this tournament, but they'll need more of that backline than we saw in this match.

Matuidi is pretty much my ideal midfielder. Can do everything in there.

He's very well-rounded. I've been a fan for a while now. I love his runs and when he plays one-twos. I still recall him being called something like "average" when I drafted him last Summer.

The cheering of the passes at the end almost like the "ole' in Montreal. Arrogant ********.

As has been stated, they were simply celebrating after Payet's goal. Nothing arrogant about it from the supporters or the team. HFBoards Soccer Forum rule: It's only arrogant when Barça do it.

Barcelona

No. Not interested. Taxpayers United would charge too much and Lord knows what sort of wages he'd want. Not to mention what he could still do before the tournament is over. More importantly though, he isn't even the second player that played for France in this match that I would take. He's maybe third at best.

Paying gigantic wages. It may or may not be true that they don't have a huge transfer budget, but I very much doubt they'd buy big priced attackers with it.

The club won't spend until July 1st just to get any transfers in during the fiscal year. On top of that there's a new kit deal and sponsorship deal on the horizon, both of which could easily be the best in the game when they're signed. We'll see what they do, but I could see them paying through the roof for a guy like Dybala were Juve willing to negotiate and sell. At the end of the day though I could see Nolito being that sort of signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->