GDT: Group A • Dec. 31 • United States 2, Switzerland 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
They seem to play just well enough to win. Very tough to get a read on this years roster. Kreider showed flashes of brilliance tonight with that world class speed.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
US versus Canada or Switzerland. That isn't an ideal choice.

I don't think there's an ideal choice here on out. You're going to have to beat good teams regardless. No team is flying high right now. Canada's defense was hyped but looks over matched and their goalies have been McCollum bad. Sweden has been inconsistent. You never know which Russia will show up. USA has created tons of chances but hasn't buried them nearly as much as they should have and don't seem like they have a ton of chemistry right now. Switzerland plays a frustrating style and they're more talented than ever before. You could easily beat them 8-0 or have them squeak out a 2-1 victory. We already saw how tough Finland is.

Last edited:

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
LOL, look at all these Canadians coming to this thread and saying they weren't impressed with the USA's play. Hey, we won today...did you? We won our group...did you? We got clutch goaltending when we needed it...did you? The Swiss are always a tough opponent at any level, you remember them shutting you out in 2002 or taking younto a shootout in February? If you don't remember how tough they are, you're about to be reminded. Hopefully your performance will be "impressive."

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
LOL, look at all these Canadians coming to this thread and saying they weren't impressed with the USA's play. Hey, we won today...did you? We won our group...did you? We got clutch goaltending when we needed it...did you? The Swiss are always a tough opponent at any level, you remember them shutting you out in 2002 or taking younto a shootout in February? If you don't remember how tough they are, you're about to be reminded. Hopefully your performance will be "impressive."

Ignore them. They are free to have an opinion on our team (It may be biased, but still).

They are kind of right, we're not very impressive, yet.

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
great switzerland this night. Very impressive: the high defense, Conz and the Pestoni-Hofmann-bärtschi line. Pestoni was probably the best swiss after the Goalie: and, at the moment, he is the best swiss points' scorer.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Been disappointed with the play so far...that said when you look at the number shots/chances this team is getting, with the amount of skilled wingers, you have to wonder(hope) if all the sudden they are gonna break out/get some breaks.

Further more, after the first game I was happy Nick B. (not gonna try that last name) looked great, but to me he has kinda disappeared the last couple and Shore has been lack luster as well. (though I guess you could say that about almost all the US forwards outside of a few)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

We played Sweden and Russia, did you? Seriously though, the US done what they were supposed to do and won, but you cannot deny that you had the weaker pool, we'll see who's better when we play each other in the semis assuming Canada beat the Swiss which they should

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
it's funny that he wants IIHF Rules now that you show him NHL rules after he said "I've seen this in the NHL"

ROFLMAO!

I assume the rules are the same as in the NHL that's why I referenced it, but they could be different, that's why i asked for the IIHF rules, what was I suppose to ask for the KHL rules?:p:

What about the covering the hand on the puck in the crease penalty shot rule? I don't see any reference to that in the link. What happens in a fan throw waffles on the ice, and hit the player and he loses control of the puck, that includes all those requirements as well. You still don't have me convinced that that should have been a penalty shot but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
I assume the rules are the same as in the NHL that's why I referenced it, but they could be different, that's why i asked for the IIHF rules, what was I suppose to ask for the KHL rules?:p:

What about the covering the hand on the puck in the crease penalty shot rule? I don't see any reference to that in the link. What happens in a fan throw waffles on the ice, and hit the player and he loses control of the puck, that includes all those requirements as well. You still don't have me convinced that that should have been a penalty shot but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree

I have grown tired of you.

Happy new year. :yo: eh

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
I just got home from the game. They played well enough to win, but there toast come Monday if they cant start burying their chances. Campbell was solid, but Conz was at times unbelievable. There going to give canada a serious fight.

Also, very empty crowd tonight, and very very pro- Swiss

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I just got home from the game. They played well enough to win, but there toast come Monday if they cant start burying their chances. Campbell was solid, but Conz was at times unbelievable. There going to give canada a serious fight.

Also, very empty crowd tonight, and very very pro- Swiss

And yet here the U.S. is 4-0 with a bye into the semis. There are so many variables in a single elimination tournament, and yet a constant so far has been the play of Jack Campbell who looks poised in net. I think that's an advantage the U.S. has over the rest of the countries left. Hopefully Coach Allain can fine tune (to a certain extent) some of the offensive struggles before the semis.

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Good game to watch and the Swiss looked great and Nino was playing unbelievably fantastic. I'm a little concerned about the US playing in the Semi's, but I was also scared beyond belief going into the medal round last year too.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
People who are making these close wins out to be bad things really don't know much about sports.

Tough games build character. They help you later on in tournaments when you know every game will be close and tough.

Mike2000z28

Dec 13, 2009
Philly, now montreal
Yeah USA hasn't played great at all really. We are outshooting opponents, but not burying them. It is for sure anyones tournament however i still think Canada will win it. I did watch the Sweden-Canada game and Canada did get outplayed badly, but still almost won. It is to hard to predict an unpredictable tournament like this.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth

Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad