Grigorenko Contract and RFA status

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
3 years, million a year with bonuses for games played or points or some similar carrot. Just something minor for positive reinforcement.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The KHL is in awful shape right now. It the least of my worries.

KHL isn't NHL, it's not something whole, more like European football leagues. There are clubs there which don't care about ruble. Grigorenko is from CSKA, which is owned by Rosneft (RusOil). Even with current oil prices the company still earns more money than the entire NHL, so CSKA won't have any financial problems...

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm not worried about the KHL because Grigs has repeatedly stated his goal/dream is to play in the NHL. Because of his waiver status next season he will be in the NHL. I can't imagine with his goal/dream in sight that he bolts for the KHL.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'm not worried about the KHL because Grigs has repeatedly stated his goal/dream is to play in the NHL. Because of his waiver status next season he will be in the NHL. I can't imagine with his goal/dream in sight that he bolts for the KHL.

It all depends on what offer he'll get from Buffalo. I think 1-1.5M one way will be enough for him to be sure that the team needs him. With anything less and two-way, he's as good as gone. But I personally think 1 or 2 years in the KHL will make wonders for him.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It all depends on what offer he'll get from Buffalo. I think 1-1.5M one way will be enough for him to be sure that the team needs him. With anything less and two-way, he's as good as gone. But I personally think 1 or 2 years in the KHL will make wonders for him.

He's not going to the KHL. He's guaranteed a NHL roster spot next season because of his waiver status. Why would he pass up realizing his goal? For money? He's currently making 70k in the AHL and working on his game to make it to the NHL. Next season he will make around 900k at least. Why would he suddenly leave for money after finally making the NHL? It makes no sense.

Even if his contract is two way it won't even matter. He will never see the AHL after this season because he would never pass through waivers. He'll either be a Sabre or traded. He will make whatever his NHL salary is.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Ennis cap hit on his bridge was $2.812M

Look at something like $1.9M, $2.6M. $3.5M---cap hot $2.67M

He's going to get a qualifying offer and he better sign it. He has no leverage to ask for such a deal.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Ennis was already an NHLer when he got his bridge contract. It was also a different regime negotiating the contract.

edit: my prediction is he gets a 2 year qualifying offer level contract for the 2 years his ELC should have slid, and then his next contract would be more comparable to a typical bridge contract

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Ennis cap hit on his bridge was $2.812M

Look at something like $1.9M, $2.6M. $3.5M---cap hot $2.67M

Before their bridge deals

Ennis -------> 140gms 38g 54a 92pts
Foligno -----> 135gms 18g 33a 50pts

Grigorenko -> 43gms 3g 5a 8pts. (could change later in the year)

How are you coming to the conclusion that Grigs should be get money near what the other two got?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

How are you coming to the conclusion that Grigs should be get money near what the other two got?

Don't expect a reply

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Foligno in 121 g 12 25 37 ( ignoring the end of 11/12)

Grigirenko would be around 8g 13 pts given his scoring rate. If you gave him 15 min per game at least and getting 3rd line or higher ice time and PP time he would have better stats.

Grigirenko does have talent. You low ball him he goes to the KHL or gets an offer sheet.

He can be signed to an offershert at 3yr/$10M and only cost a team a 2nd round pick.

TM set the benchmark with Foligno.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica

Grigirenko would be around 8g 13 pts given his scoring rate. If you gave him 15 min per game at least and getting 3rd line or higher ice time and PP time he would have better stats.

Grigirenko does have talent. You low ball him he goes to the KHL or gets an offer sheet.

He can be signed to an offershert at 3yr/$10M and only cost a team a 2nd round pick.

Foligno had 3x as many games played in the NHL at the time of his bridge deal. How is this possibly a comparable situation?

RFA's coming off entry level deals, who have little to no NHL experience, and who are currently not even up with the big club, have absolutely zero leverage. This is such a non-issue...

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

Are you trying to be Grigs agent? This is the craziest thing I've ever heard.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

wow imagine what they'll have to pay their own RFA with 20 NHL points. Probably 4.0 per year

:rolleyes:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Is Grigorenko even offer sheet eligible?

He is eligible to be a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent, so yes he is eligible for an offer sheet (as opposed to guys like Krug who had their contracts expire but were not yet eligible for Group 2 status). As Grigorenko signed his ELC at 18, he requires three years of Professional Experience to be eligible for Group 2 status. For 18 and 19 year olds, that requires 10+ NHL games. For players 20 or over it requires 10+ professional games (including the AHL and other pro leagues). Grigorenko played more than 10 NHL games during both his 18 & 19 year old seasons and this season he's already played more than 10 AHL games. So Grigorenko will be eligible for Group 2 RFA status when his contract expires, and thus will be able to sign an offer sheet.

Somewhat unrelated, Grigorenko is not eligible for arbitration, as that would require that he have four years of professional experience. Meaning that if he signs his QO (or signs any other one year deal), he will be eligible for arbitration following next season.

punkr0x

Jul 2, 2009
I think it's pretty much guaranteed that Grigorenko is going to demand an overpayment. Of course he should accept the QO, but I wouldn't mind seeing 3 years/$1.5m AAV to keep him in the organization and keep him motivated.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's not going to the KHL. He's guaranteed a NHL roster spot next season because of his waiver status. Why would he pass up realizing his goal? For money? He's currently making 70k in the AHL and working on his game to make it to the NHL. Next season he will make around 900k at least. Why would he suddenly leave for money after finally making the NHL? It makes no sense.

Even if his contract is two way it won't even matter. He will never see the AHL after this season because he would never pass through waivers. He'll either be a Sabre or traded. He will make whatever his NHL salary is.

There is another reason - his elder brother plays for CSKA, on the 1st line with Radulov and Da Costa. So you can imagine the temptation.

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
There is another reason - his elder brother plays for CSKA, on the 1st line with Radulov and Da Costa. So you can imagine the temptation.

Grigorenko appears pretty self-motivated now.
I don't think the temptation to show up his older brother by playing in the NHL is much of a factor.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

With the falling value of the rubble and the KHL's inability to pay their players, its doubtful the KHL is a legit threat to take anyone

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Igor Grigorenko is no relation as far as I know.

With the falling value of the rubble and the KHL's inability to pay their players, its doubtful the KHL is a legit threat to take anyone

Moreover, it doesn't make any more sense for a KHL team to pay up unless they get him for keeps, which is unlikely. Overpaying a young, unproven player for a couple of years does nothing for a KHL team unless it's just for the pride of bringing a Russian back from North America. I'm sure if negotiations get testy Grigorenko's agent will "explore all options", even North American players sometimes make that bluff. I just don't see it as something to worry about unless things get really ugly.

Next year he's likely going to be making NHL money, which is a big step up for him after having made NHL money for only a portion of his first two seasons and AHL money so far this season. One year of making $1m is nothing to sneeze at. He'll get more serious money with his next contract if he plays well enough to stick the whole year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00