Grigorenko Contract and RFA status

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Just curious on where people stand with Grigorenko? We have all had our share of ups and downs with him and many varying opinions on is he a bust premature or not. Well now the day of his first contract is coming up and I know many have differing opinions on what should be done with him so I'm curious to see, given we get McEichel do you try and deal him? Or do you offer him a contract?

As for myself I would offer him a bridge tryout contract of no more than 3 years, 2 preferably at 2 and a half to no more than 3 mil a year. This gives us two options as we could figure out if he's a second line centre which would make not getting McEichel not as heavy a burden or up his trade value and use him to acquire good veteran depth.

Curious to as what others purpose.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Really? I have not seen a Rochester game except for a couple on TV but my expectations with their personnel were overly blown for sure. Are Grigs/Larsson/Armia/Pysyk/McCabe/Liewen/Makarov/Ruhwedel et al really that good to be getting nhl contracts worth millions when they are bottom feeders as a team in the AHL? 2 1/2 million for a guy in the AHL who is hardly a scoring leader in an inferior league? I bow to the guys who see Rochester regularly but I do so with misgivings...

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Whoa! What planet did I just land on?!? I'm hopeful for Grigorenko as a secondary scoring C or LW, maybe even top line duty, but there's no friggin' way he's going to get a 2.5 mil AAV type of deal.

Ennis played 140 games and put up 92 pts during his ELC before getting a 2 yr bridge for 2.8 mil per. Grigorenko has 43 games and 8 pts so far. Now maybe because of his signing bonus that jacked up his ELC to a 1.775 AAV, Buffalo will have to offer a 10% increase over that to retain him (I'm not sure). If so that would force an offer with a 1.95 mil AAV, and that's the MOST he should get over a 2-3 year deal until he proves himself in the NHL. If that's not required he should get a QO in the range of 1.1 mil per. I'll certainly be rooting for him to earn a bigger contract down the road.

Last edited:

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
2.5-3M per? What? I'd give him QO for 1 year. Isn't he no longer waiver exempt next year which means he forced himself on the team basically?

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Grigorenko is 20 years old. He'll be a restricted free agent for the next 7 seasons.

Jame is completely right. There is absolutely no reason to offer anything more than a QO after this year.

SF1980 : His AAV is 1.775 because of the 850k performance bonus, but that's not counted against he cap. Unless he earns it, then it does at the end of the year.

His QO would be $874,125. ( Salary - Signing Bonus ) * 1.05

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
2.5-3M per? What? I'd give him QO for 1 year. Isn't he no longer waiver exempt next year which means he forced himself on the team basically?

Signed his deal at 18. He's waiver exempt for 5 years or 160 games. Long time yet.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm liking 3 years at $2.5M, after this full season in the AHL he should have a legit shot to make the team

If thats 2.5mil total over 3 years. Then I'm in since thats just 833k per year. Though I doubt his agent would agree to it.

If its per year, no way.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I thought his base salary was .925 mil, and that a QO would be 10% more - 1.075 mil per? Whatever the exact numbers, I agree that he should just get a roughly minimum QO and see how things shake out from there. 2.5 mil...uh no.

I believe that .925mil includes his 92.5k signing bonus. That needs to be subtracted to calculate his QO.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Give him the QA offer today so that gets taken care of, then see about a 2year, 1-way deal at about 1M/per. This is where burning those ELC years hurts.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I thought his base salary was .925 mil, and that a QO would be 10% more - 1.075 mil per? Whatever the exact numbers, I agree that he should just get a roughly minimum QO and see how things shake out from there. 2.5 mil...uh no.

Ya, JJ has it right, have to subtract the signing bonus.

The minimum QO depends on the base salary from the previous season.

Less than $660k : QO is a 10% raise.
$660k to $1m : QO is a 5% raise.
Over $1m : No raise mandated.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I'd aim for anywhere between 2-3 years and $3-$5ish million, so somewhere around a $1mil - $1.75mil AAV

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
You want to give him 2 to 3 per year? For what?

I'd give him a QO

If thats 2.5mil total over 3 years. Then I'm in since thats just 833k per year. Though I doubt his agent would agree to it.

If its per year, no way.
2.5 mil over 2 years was my original concept, I realized I said "a year" which was a typo grammatical error on my part and I was stretching by saying no more than 3 mil over 3 years.

We assume he will accept a QO but if he wants some cash I wouldn't go more than what I've said on a bridge deal and I wouldn't be so willing to trade him if McEichel doesn't fall to us.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I think people are severely overestimating the leverage Grigorenko has here.

He'll have less than 50 NHL games played (assuming he's not called up, and they're clearly not going to this year), with absolutely no chance another team would try to offer sheet, so almost nothing to push the Sabres with. That's pretty much the standard set of circumstances for a player coming off his ELC.

He's get a QO, then couple year deal with a modest raise. That's the important deal for him. Once he signs that, he has to make the NHL team and perform. If he does that, his 2nd RFA deal starts to get him paid. This 1st deal won't.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I'd like to see a 2 year deal at an AAV a bit higher than what his QO would be.
2 years/2 million, 1 million AAV.

Best for both sides I'd imagine.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ

If its per year, no way.

This is how I had interpreted it. And I'm sure his agent wouldn't, but it'd be fair and a chance for both sides to show some loyalty and bury any lingering uneasiness from the last regime's mis-handling of his development.

I'd be down for just qualifying him too because it'd bring everything to a head. He accepts, both sides recommit to each other and his development continues as planned. Someone offer sheets him, we match (or not), both sides recommit to each other (or not) and his development continues as planned (here or elsewhere with us getting compensated). Or maybe he just bolts altogether for the KHL (which would suck, but I honestly don't consider it a real possibility).

I love how GMTM has managed Grigo since coming in. He's nailed it, and I've got all the faith in the world he'll continue to do so.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Really? I have not seen a Rochester game except for a couple on TV but my expectations with their personnel were overly blown for sure. Are Grigs/Larsson/Armia/Pysyk/McCabe/Liewen/Makarov/Ruhwedel et al really that good to be getting nhl contracts worth millions when they are bottom feeders as a team in the AHL? 2 1/2 million for a guy in the AHL who is hardly a scoring leader in an inferior league? I bow to the guys who see Rochester regularly but I do so with misgivings...
I'm not sure what to make of this but the top scoring leader for the AHL plays for the Bulldogs and is Hudson with 8 goals and 18 assists for 26 points in 23 games. Grigorenko is just outside the top 50 sitting at 52 with 7 goals and 9 assists for 16 points in 23 games. The top goal scorer in the AHL I believe has 12 goals on the season which puts Grigorenko 5 goals behind that.

Your mistaking the AHL for the OHL/WHL/QMJHL where 100 point seasons are gravy for top prospects mixed with too many kids who will never see ice in the NHL let alone the AHL.

Another case in point that AHL scoring doesn't necessarily translate to the NHL is that Varone sits 8th overall in points with only 6 goals on the season and he is considered to have a much lesser upside than Grigorenko.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Signed his deal at 18. He's waiver exempt for 5 years or 160 games. Long time yet.

I think because he burned his first year of his ELC at 18, I think he needs to clear waivers in 15/16. The 5 years are in place for 18 yr old because for most the contract would slide for 2 years. An EZlC you are waiver exempt. After ELC you are not waiver exempt. Goalies get a 4 th yr of exemption.

This doesn't affect when he can be a UFA.

As for his contract..if Foligno gets $1.85M per, Grigs get something higher. I see a 3 yr $8M contract where the contract increases yr to yr... Like $2.0 M, $2.75M, $3.25M.

ZeroPT*

I think because he burned his first year of his ELC at 18, I think he needs to clear waivers in 15/16. The 5 years are in place for 18 yr old because for most the contract would slide for 2 years. An EZlC you are waiver exempt. After ELC you are not waiver exempt. Goalies get a 4 th yr of exemption.

This doesn't affect when he can be a UFA.

As for his contract..if Foligno gets $1.85M per, Grigs get something higher. I see a 3 yr $8M contract where the contract increases yr to yr... Like $2.0 M, $2.75M, $3.25M.

wha- why?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2