Grigorenko Contract and RFA status

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Signed his deal at 18. He's waiver exempt for 5 years or 160 games. Long time yet.

I decided to look it up to be sure myself:

For purposes of Regular Waivers, the five (5) year exemption for an 18 year old skater shall be reduced to three (3) years commencing the first year that the 18 year old skater plays in 11 NHL games or more. The next two (2) seasons, regardless of whether the skater plays any NHL games in either season, shall count as the second and third years towards satisfying the exemption.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
In terms of production it's hard to argue against offering him something around the QO but I'm not sure how well the offer would be received. Obviously the organization mishandled him during his first year and a half or so. Other than one minor pout session he has decided to play hockey and not cause too much of a fuss. If they decide to offer him a two or three year deal is there a big difference between paying him the QO near 1 million or paying him 2ish million a season? When that contract expires he will get going rate for however he has been producing regardless of his prior contract. At that time if he hasn't produced then maybe there is bigger money waiting for him in the KHL, but that's a whole other can of worms. It seems like he's generally been a good soldier for the team and a low ball offer is only going to make him think harder about playing elsewhere. If we have all of the cap space in the world and we're not paying him 3+ million then just pay him a little less than he wants and move forward.

At this point in his contract you're paying for a mix of potential and proven results. As recently mentioned, if Foligno is being paid 1.875 then it's hard to see Grigorenko getting much less than that.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think because he burned his first year of his ELC at 18, I think he needs to clear waivers in 15/16. The 5 years are in place for 18 yr old because for most the contract would slide for 2 years. An EZlC you are waiver exempt. After ELC you are not waiver exempt. Goalies get a 4 th yr of exemption.

This doesn't affect when he can be a UFA.

As for his contract..if Foligno gets $1.85M per, Grigs get something higher. I see a 3 yr $8M contract where the contract increases yr to yr... Like $2.0 M, $2.75M, $3.25M.

lol makes sense

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Yeah, we paid Foligno on potential and that was a mistake. He should be making fourth line money, as he's really a fourth liner, anyway under $1mil.

I see a one year deal in the $1.5 range, "hey kid, you'll be up with the big team, lets see what you can do and o from there next year."

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I think because he burned his first year of his ELC at 18, I think he needs to clear waivers in 15/16. The 5 years are in place for 18 yr old because for most the contract would slide for 2 years. An EZlC you are waiver exempt. After ELC you are not waiver exempt. Goalies get a 4 th yr of exemption.

This doesn't affect when he can be a UFA.

As for his contract..if Foligno gets $1.85M per, Grigs get something higher. I see a 3 yr $8M contract where the contract increases yr to yr... Like $2.0 M, $2.75M, $3.25M.

So more then Tyler Ennis and his second contract and he has 3 goals in the NHL.

Am I missing something?

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Grigorenko is 20 years old. He'll be a restricted free agent for the next 7 seasons.

Umm no he won't. because he spent most of his rookie season in the NHL when he was 18, he'll be a free agent at 25.

You can thank Regier for that crap.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Do you think anyone in the nhl will want him at age 25? He is producing at 4th line numbers-if that- but is not what any team would likely want on the 4th line. I am not ready to give up on him--because of his draft status and a few high light reels I have seen--but that is so yesterday....

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Umm no he won't. because he spent most of his rookie season in the NHL when he was 18, he'll be a free agent at 25.

You can thank Regier for that crap.

No. Grigorenko will not be a UFA at 25. A player is eligible for Group 3 free agency when he's 27, or has 7 accrued seasons (on the NHL roster for 40 or more games). As of now Grigorenko only has 1 accrued season (for the lockout shortened season). Grigorenko could have 7 accrued seasons following the 2019-2020 season, at the earliest, which would make him eligible for UFA at age 26. However, if Grigorenko spends most of this season in the AHL, he will not gain an accrued season this year, which would make him eligible for UFA at the standard age of 27.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
QO is all I would give...My only concern is him bolting to the KHL if he feels he won't get any playing time in Buffalo next season. In that case it would have been nice to have moved him for some type of asset rather than watch him walk for nothing.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It will be very interesting to see how Grigorenko and his agent handle their side and what Murray does.

I could see Murray holding a hardline and things getting ugly.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
It will be very interesting to see how Grigorenko and his agent handle their side and what Murray does.

I could see Murray holding a hardline and things getting ugly.

Why? Grigorenko has no leverage. If he wants to run away to the KHL then so be it but other then that Grigs pretty much has no choice.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Do you think anyone in the nhl will want him at age 25? He is producing at 4th line numbers-if that- but is not what any team would likely want on the 4th line. I am not ready to give up on him--because of his draft status and a few high light reels I have seen--but that is so yesterday....

How do you know how good he'll be in 5 years? 4th line numbers? Have you watched him at all in the A this year? He's been playing some really good hockey, and to speculate how many teams want him when he's 25 based on how he played with the big club 2 years ago is just ludicrous

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I read somewhere that Russia's ruble has dropped significantly recently. KHLers May be looking to nudge their way into NA now, seeing as much as a 35% drop in the value of their salary. Kovalchuck is almost banned from the NHL and Radulov seems to want to stay in his mother land but, there probably won't be a migration back to Russia any time soon. Gives us a bit more negotiating prowess.

Also, worse players have been signed for $2 mil per. It's really a drop in the bucket.

ZeroPT*

The KHL is in awful shape right now. It the least of my worries.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I would agree with you if that was really a possibility. How many RFA's have held out successfully and with minimal NHL experience? Is there even a precedent?

I am a realist, he will take his QO. Even Johansen caved on his demands. He scored 30.

A lot depends on the agent. Some agents are more realistic than others.

He SHOULD just take his QO and create more leverage for himself. But, only time will tell whether that is the route his agent takes.

For instance, do they try and get a one-way deal for next year?

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
1 mil 2 years, not like the few extra dollars will hurt the team.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
3yrs 4.5mil, I expect him to make the roster next season, a full season to get accustomed to the NHL, a year to produce some reasonable expectations, and a third season to repeat it before going into his next contract

2 years isn't enough time for me to have a good idea of how I'd want to proceed into his next contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad