Confirmed with Link: Griffins signs Abdelkader to a PTO

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Griffins tonight were the "Mighty Griffs" (although they did not play like them). Each season, the Griffins have a contest to see who can design a specialty jersey and they do 2-4 per season. If yours gets selected, the Griffins will wear that jersey for a game and auction them off after the game with the money going to the Grand Rapids Griffins Youth Foundation. Tonight's jersey, as you can tell from the photo, was to commemorate the Disney's original Mighty Ducks film and someone designed it using the colors from the jerseys in the movie.
Ahh, thanks for the context. That makes a lot more sense and sounds like a great cause.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Abby was -4 in his first game.

Cool, so was Taro Hirose. That's what happens when most of your talented players are playing in Detroit.

Them signing Abby to a PTO isn't the end of the world, especially when teams are struggling to ice full lineups due to covid/injuries. Again, Yzerman is in charge of the team, we don't have to worry about him making the Wings. Start flipping out if the Wings sign him to an actual contract.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Cool, so was Taro Hirose. That's what happens when most of your talented players are playing in Detroit.

Them signing Abby to a PTO isn't the end of the world, especially when teams are struggling to ice full lineups due to covid/injuries. Again, Yzerman is in charge of the team, we don't have to worry about him making the Wings. Start flipping out if the Wings sign him to an actual contract.
The most talented scorer is injured. At least Barber gets NHL pay since he got injured in a Wings game.

The lack of scoring prospects though is somewhat concerning. Barber's a career AHLer.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
US must really have no options if he is even an alternate. Don't really care for Olympic hockey since we got the taste of NHL talent being there. I liked it in 1994 before the NHL players were allowed, but now, it is just super watered down hockey.

Reactions: Reddwit

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I get that his last contract from Holland sucked but the guy clearly loves playing hockey.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
US must really have no options if he is even an alternate. Don't really care for Olympic hockey since we got the taste of NHL talent being there. I liked it in 1994 before the NHL players were allowed, but now, it is just super watered down hockey.
Don't think everyone even accepts coming as an alternate. Sweden's not bringing anyone for example.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There are "NHL players" at olympics.

Like:

Eric Staal
David Krejci
Valtteri Filppula
Korbinian Holzer
Dominik Kahun
Tobias Rieder
Jacob de la Rose
Mathias Brome
Anton Lander
Joakim Nordström
Marcus Kruger
Oscar Fantenberg
Christian Folin
Daniel Carr
David Desharnais
Adam Cracknell
Mason McTavish
Ben Street
Jordan Weal
Daniel Winnik
Mark Barberio
Jason Demers
Brandon Gormley
Owen Power
Artem Anisimov
Mikhail Grigorenko
Sergei Plotnikov
Nikita Gusev
Vadim Chipachyov
Slava Voynov
Nikita Nesterov
Yaroslav Askarov
Libor Sulak
Roman Cervenka
Michael Frolik
Tomas Hyka
Michal Repik
Lukas Sedlak
Vladimir Zobotka
Frans Nielsen
Oliver Lauridsen
Mikkel Boedker
Peter Regin
Tomas Jurco
Marko Dano
Marek Hrivik
Martin Marincin
Reto Berra
Raphael Diaz
Mirco Mueller
Yannick Weber
Sven Andrighetto
Gaetan Haas
Gregory Hoffman
Denis Malgin
Leo Komarov
Markus Granlund
Sami Vatanen
Harri Säteri
Mikko Lehtonen
Matt Beniers
Nick Shore
David Warsofsky
Steven Kampfer
Brendan Brisson
Brock Faber
Jake Sanderson

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't forget about Jake Chelios and Ryan Sproul

Yeah those were our official....

Chelios:
fluorikartio-300x300.png

Sproul:
kumikartio-keltpun-300x300.png.webp

...traininc camp pylons.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He is healthy. Not sure about the improved part. He was only named as an alternate. Would not surprise me to see Justin back in Grand Rapids after the Olympics to see if he still has what it takes to play in the NHL again.
He should rejoin with Datsyuk

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Good for him though.

I hated his contract, and I didn't want him on the roster, but I feel no ill will towards him as a person. If Kenny offered me a ridiculous contract, I'd sign it on the spot.

I agree. It was nice to see him go on a child's book writing kick for a while there and it seems to bring him joy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad