Confirmed with Link: Griffins signs Abdelkader to a PTO

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Given the circumstances down in Grand Rapids? I dont mind it. You guys gotta remember who's in charge, if it was Holland then yeah I would be worried.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Funny because there's so many people who don't realize the difference between a GR contract and Wings contract.

If he wants to play in GR, I'm all for it. Helps the team in terms of giving some of the kids advice, off ice stuff because he has no advice to give on ice.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Oh, he might make the cut for GR for a while, but he won't improve much if at all now, it's just an age thing.

His work in NL shows he probably could play at a higher level than that. Not sure if that means he can play in the AHL, notice he had only one point, an assist, through six games (as a captain, no less) at WC.

I don't think he'll ever really have the numbers in AHL to take an NHL spot, not even as a fill-in. We are at a point when we are trying to turn the Wings around by developing young prospects. We aren't playing the kinds of important games right now where the priority is having a trusty veteran over prospect development.

But more power to him for living the dream as long as he can.

Last edited:

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
I don't think he's blocking anyone? You know someone in particular you'd like to see get more AHL you're worried about?

Cause I guess I only care if he's doing what you said. Blocking guys from playing time. But I'm not sure he would be doing that exactly... Like he'd be stepping into a 4th line role with PK duties and a locker-room/practice presences. Solid veteran leader/professional for any young players to be around.

Not sure he'd step in for top line minutes. etc.
I said in a subsequent post that I don’t care if he is or not. I don’t want him back in this organization, even the ECHL.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Those guys are still playing in the ncaa though. They aren’t dropping out of college to sign a pto with an ahl team.
I’m not even talking about our prospects. I’m talking in general. I don’t want the guy here. Simple as that. The guy stole $30 million from the Red Wings, I’m surprised he’d even show his face here

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I’m not even talking about our prospects. I’m talking in general. I don’t want the guy here. Simple as that. The guy stole $30 million from the Red Wings, I’m surprised he’d even show his face here

He isn’t even in the organization. He is playing and has a pto with the Griffs. The Wings don’t own the Griffs. And it takes 2 parties to sign a contract. No theft here.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I said in a subsequent post that I don’t care if he is or not. I don’t want him back in this organization, even the ECHL.

I haven't been following every post but... Why? Do you know he's a dick or something? I just don't grasp why you don't like him so bad.

I don't know the guy so... my perspective is a grain of salt. He might be terrible.

Starting to get upset I'm this curious about Abdelkader though in our AHL ranks lol. Seems like a waste of time to talk about lol.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
He isn’t even in the organization. He is playing and has a pto with the Griffs. The Wings don’t own the Griffs. And it takes 2 parties to sign a contract. No theft here.
Ok. Let me make this my last Abdelkader post. A PTO is handed out to give a player a chance to have/resume/showcase his skills to further his career. Abdelkader had a career in this organization where he made millions and millions that set him and his family up for generations. The Red Wing organization owes him nothing. I get that the Griffins and Wings are separate entities, but the Wings organization manages the player personnel for the Griffins as their top affiliate. I also understand that Abdelkader has zero chance to play with the Red Wings, so I’m not worried about that, Yzerman is not Ken Holland. My issue is that they should Use that PTO on some potential NCAA players coming out this year or someone looking to launch their career, not someone who’s career is over and made their multi millions already. That’s all.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Smith-Smith-Aby line please .
I am not going to surprise if Abdelkader going to work for Red Wings , just like Cleary

Reactions: gogreenbay

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm surprised people are upset by this. The Red Wings are literally paying Abdelkader not to play for them for the next 5 seasons. He will not play for the Red Wings.

And he's not even playing for the Griffins. It's a PTO. I don't know the status of the Olympic team now with the NHL players not going but I wonder if he's trying to get some attention to be invited.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

One the ugliest post in here lately.

You must be really bad human being. And probably proud of it.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Ok. Let me make this my last Abdelkader post. A PTO is handed out to give a player a chance to have/resume/showcase his skills to further his career. Abdelkader had a career in this organization where he made millions and millions that set him and his family up for generations. The Red Wing organization owes him nothing. I get that the Griffins and Wings are separate entities, but the Wings organization manages the player personnel for the Griffins as their top affiliate. I also understand that Abdelkader has zero chance to play with the Red Wings, so I’m not worried about that, Yzerman is not Ken Holland. My issue is that they should Use that PTO on some potential NCAA players coming out this year or someone looking to launch their career, not someone who’s career is over and made their multi millions already. That’s all.

Again, they can’t use PTO’s on college players because they are still playing in college. They can use as many pto’s on college guys as they want once the college season is over. And again, it is for the griffins. Some college senior signing a pto in GR isn’t going to be a nhl guy anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
272067486_10158230869306283_8279843533061972595_n.jpg

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
One the ugliest post in here lately.

You must be really bad human being. And probably proud of it.

In what possible universe is that an "ugly" post? He didn't wish harm on Abdelkader or his family, he just echoed the sentiment that I'd say 99% of fans would, that they don't want to see him suit up for the Red Wings anymore.

AHall88

Oct 1, 2006
Jesus, I get that people hated Abdelkader, but damn. :laugh:
People realize AHL teams aren't completely filled with young prospects, right?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Maybe they did it as a marketing move?

Abby does have fans, just not on this board, lol.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
The rust is still there on Abdelkader as he did what he could, but he ended up with a -4 (along with Hirose) in tonight's game. He had a great chance to score in the 2nd period, but the goalie got it on the shoulder. I was not expecting much if at all from him, but he did not get hurt. That is about it. It will take a few games for him to get back into game shape.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Good grief. Are those their practice jerseys??

Griffins tonight were the "Mighty Griffs" (although they did not play like them). Each season, the Griffins have a contest to see who can design a specialty jersey and they do 2-4 per season. If yours gets selected, the Griffins will wear that jersey for a game and auction them off after the game with the money going to the Grand Rapids Griffins Youth Foundation. Tonight's jersey, as you can tell from the photo, was to commemorate the Disney's original Mighty Ducks film and someone designed it using the colors from the jerseys in the movie.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Two people have mentioned either ticket sales or asses in the seats...really? Other than maybe a few of his buddies or family members will catch a game or two but I dont think anyone else is saying "this might be our last chance to see Abdlekader play"

Yeah, who on EARTH is going to pay money to watch Abdelkader (even at his best) play hockey?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Funny because there's so many people who don't realize the difference between a GR contract and Wings contract.

If he wants to play in GR, I'm all for it. Helps the team in terms of giving some of the kids advice, off ice stuff because he has no advice to give on ice.

Yeah, but he is going to try and teach them to hope for a Datsyuk to bank pucks off their butt, and they will be mislead when they get up to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad