Grey Cup Champions, 2019 Blue Bombers

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
It'll probably just result in teams hiding players off of the roster, likely employed by a local company or something.
The Bombers wouldn’t do that and flaunt it in front of the entire CFL! Not even for a Middle Linebacker who sucked last year....../s

guess who better be making some sales bonuses next year?

None

Feb 22, 2012
The Bombers wouldn’t do that and flaunt it in front of the entire CFL! Not even for a Middle Linebacker who sucked last year....../s

guess who better be making some sales bonuses next year?

Bighill's not the only athlete employed by IG, maybe the first to be so publicly paraded about though :laugh:

There's definitely other businesses and other sports too.

Edit: I also wouldn't go as far to say Bighill sucked, but he didn't live up to his previous play where he was a constant game changer.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Bighill's not the only athlete employed by IG, maybe the first to be so publicly paraded about though :laugh:

There's definitely other businesses and other sports too.

Edit: I also wouldn't go as far to say Bighill sucked, but he didn't live up to his previous play where he was a constant game changer.
There are many CFL players with arranged employment for sure but it’s usually BS sales jobs, this is a legit career.....if he takes it seriously. It was crazy that they announced to the world like it’s part of the package handed out by a Bombers VP.

The Bisons could have found a player to replace Bighill for the first 6 games back after his injury. He got better as the season went on. If he doesn’t come back a heck of a lot better next season he needs to be cut for the money he is making.

None

Feb 22, 2012
There are many CFL players with arranged employment for sure but it’s usually BS sales jobs, this is a legit career.....if he takes it seriously. It was crazy that they announced to the world like it’s part of the package handed out by a Bombers VP.

The Bisons could have found a player to replace Bighill for the first 6 games back after his injury. He got better as the season went on. If he doesn’t come back a heck of a lot better next season he needs to be cut for the money he is making.

As irritating as Dave Dickenson is, he called teams out about hiding players and was absolutely right about it. Every team with enough financial backing does it, Calgary included.

And also agreed that Bighill got better the more he played, but he still never got to that level where you saw him in on 80% of defensive plays which is as you said the level that should be expected of him given his salary.

Reactions: TS Quint

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The CFL commissioner is now admitting that the most likely scenario is a cancelled 2020 season.

CFL commissioner admits 2020 season likely to be cancelled - Sportsnet.ca

He also says the league’s future is "very much in jeopardy."

giphy.gif

Why, I think I feel a song coming on...

Our leagues's in jeopardy.... Baby.... Whoooo-ooo-ooo-ooo

AFAIC, it's time to separate the wheat from the chaff. Stop propping up the markets that just don't give a f*** and cut back to the core.

Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Calgary, Hamilton. These are the strong markets that matter. Ottawa can stay for now, but we're watching you. You falter, we'll leave you behind. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, go watch your NHL and MLS teams and get out of our f***ing lives.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
If the CFL season got cancelled, would they let guys go sign in the NFL instead? That could decimate rosters.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
If the CFL season got cancelled, would they let guys go sign in the NFL instead? That could decimate rosters.
I think for the most part if a player has a NFL tryout CFL teams let them go as it is. I don't think there is much difference here. I wouldn't worry about it. There are lots of players available.

Reactions: snowkiddin

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think for the most part if a player has a NFL tryout CFL teams let them go as it is. I don't think there is much difference here. I wouldn't worry about it. There are lots of players available.

I suppose it'd not be a huge problem but I still wonder if some of the top guys, who otherwise would happily play in Canada, would try their hand down south where there is actually a chance to play football in 2020.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I suppose it'd not be a huge problem but I still wonder if some of the top guys, who otherwise would happily play in Canada, would try their hand down south where there is actually a chance to play football in 2020.

Every single player in the CFL would love to give the NFL a shot.....But lets be honest 97% of them do not have enough physical talent to even get a look so no worries....

Reactions: GNP and jetsforever

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011

Outside of QBs, the difference in $$$ to be a starter in the CFL versus anything but a practice roster spot is huge. The PR spots are also typically devoted to younger players as well. I would be shocked if any player decided to play in the CFL instead of the NFL, and thus this makes no difference.

As for the QBs, in theory Bo Levi Mitchell could land a backup role somewhere. I can't see anyone else getting more than a PR spot. I can't see the NFL teams caring about the other older QBs and the younger QBs (like Streveler) would have already been put on backup/PR spots already.

Reactions: jetsforever

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
Seasonal temporary workers are allowed to cross the border for industries like agriculture, fisheries and fish processing workers. The border isn't closed its restricted.

Reactions: mondo3

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Seasonal temporary workers are allowed to cross the border for industries like agriculture, fisheries and fish processing workers. The border isn't closed its restricted.

Those are essential industries. Football isn't. I'm with Sip, keep them out!

Reactions: Eyeseeing

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Import players potentially importing Coronavirus, uh no thanks!

Canada/US border closed until June 21 for a reason and this should include everyone, CFL, NHL included!
I'm sure there will be a 2 week quarantine with testing and safe steps taken. I get it, you're scared and we should all be cautious. But safe steps are available.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I wouldn't worry about it. CFL teams won't be flying their players in without a guarantee that the season will begin.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I'm super p'od about this. Thanks Cuthbert. Way to leave us with losers who can't commentate a game worth a damn.

I remember hearing that the reason Cuthbert stayed with TSN originally (when Rogers bought the NHL rights) was because he personally enjoyed calling CFL games, it was probably a tough decision for him and I think the response shows how respected he was among viewers from both sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad