Grey Cup Champions, 2019 Blue Bombers

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers take a kicker at 39. Not first time they've taken a kicker or punter in the Medlock era but still a bit eyebrow raising with Medlocks age and his open talk of retirement several times over past few years.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Bombers take a kicker at 39. Not first time they've taken a kicker or punter in the Medlock era but still a bit eyebrow raising with Medlocks age and his open talk of retirement several times over past few years.

We've had a few kickers leave and go on to be starters elsewhere to become starters and as you said about Medlock considering retirement probably every offseason for the past 3.
It's a little weird though because I think last season was the happiest Medlock has been, and that was before the cup win.

Edit: And the Bombers finally pick a defensive lineman from Saskatchewan at 46

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm all for government funding for the CFL because it's a strong cultural element in our society, and has been around for many years. It's part of our cultural identity, and the clubs and players "need it" to survive. The CFL is a Canadian tradition --and it should stay that way.

I'm not in favor of government handouts for the NHL --most players are multi millionares already. They won't be hurting as far as lifestyle goes. They will just have to cancel their annual purchase of the latest Porsche on the market, and wait til things start rolling again-- and they will.

I'm all in favor the government helping struggling companies pay their everyday employees. I am not so keen on the government paying money to wealthy athletes, nor am I ok with the government paying money to non citizens (American CFL players).

Reactions: sipowicz

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm all in favor the government helping struggling companies pay their everyday employees. I am not so keen on the government paying money to wealthy athletes, nor am I ok with the government paying money to non citizens (American CFL players).

I agree with a lot of your sentiment here surixon --and I forgot that a lot of players in the CFL are American, so I understand how you feel.

CFL players probably make an average of $ 80,000 to $ 100,000 and after tax, it's not that much really.

Even though the CFL has a lot of US players, I'd still like it to be kept alive, even if it meant a government handout.

I don't feel the same way at all --about giving the NHL any money, and as you say, it can go towards struggling companies, and their employees that are hurting. I do see where your coming from. I guess I grew up as a kid watching the CFL, and it's part of my identity in a small way as a Canadian, but I guess I could live without it, but I hope it stays alive.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I agree with a lot of your sentiment here surixon --and I forgot that a lot of players in the CFL are American, so I understand how you feel.

CFL players probably make an average of $ 80,000 to $ 100,000 and after tax, it's not that much really.

Even though the CFL has a lot of US players, I'd still like it to be kept alive, even if it meant a government handout.

I don't feel the same way at all --about giving the NHL any money, and as you say, it can go towards struggling companies, and their employees that are hurting. I do see where your coming from. I guess I grew up as a kid watching the CFL, and it's part of my identity in a small way as a Canadian, but I guess I could live without it, but I hope it stays alive.

Agreed, it doesn't really make sense to give money to US players but at the same time it's a lot better than having a league with only Canadians (or no league at all).

Reactions: GNP

MarketSquare

Apr 26, 2020
Agreed, it doesn't really make sense to give money to US players but at the same time it's a lot better than having a league with only Canadians (or no league at all).

Giving money to american players or the owners is no different. Give them more $$. They deserve it

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We've had a few kickers leave and go on to be starters elsewhere to become starters and as you said about Medlock considering retirement probably every offseason for the past 3.
It's a little weird though because I think last season was the happiest Medlock has been, and that was before the cup win.

Edit: And the Bombers finally pick a defensive lineman from Saskatchewan at 46

People don't believe me when I tell them Brett Maher was in camp with the Bombers and we cut him. He went on the Ottawa then Dallas. Bombers have been swimming in kickers/punters for many many years. Hell they had Parades in camp as well and they cut him as well.

Bombers I think did ok in the draft. Didn't realize until after draft they also lost Dexter Janke. Losing Janke, S Derek Jones, DB Wright and S Hecht all moving on means that depth at the national position in the secondary was certainly a need. Sounds like they got a good one, and now I think they have 3 potential starting national safeties with Exume and both Hallett brothers on the roster. Far cry from having journeyman Hecht and depth guy Jones trying to cover the spot when they needed it to be a national spot (now they have potential for days and don't need it to be a national spot).

Unfortunately now we just have to wait and see for the season. I still think they start in September, perhaps without fans, but they play a 10-12 game season this year. One of the really big problems is going to bringing the Americans north. It's very likely to be nearly impossible to cross the border for a long time considering how poorly the Americans have handled COVID.

But if take a look at the roster I just don't see many weaknesses. The only real concern is if they can find international replacements in the secondary. Otherwise this is a very deep and strong team. Even in the secondary I'd be excited to see what Malik Boynton (cut out of camp last year but a TC standout, IMO), Mike Jones (broke out late in the year, including great GC performance) among others could do with expanded opportunity.

Even in a shortened season I see the Bombers as the favourites to repeat as GC champs. Calgary and Hamilton are of course GC favourites as well with great talent and deep rosters, but the Bombers rank right up there. Can't wait for season to start.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The Riders are offering season ticket purchasers the option to get their money refunded.
Coronavirus: Saskatchewan Roughriders offer options for ticket holders

This is something all teams should be doing. There could be a lot of people regretting their decision to re-up because their financial situation has changed, or they are simply fearful of attending games if stadiums are given the all clear to re-open to fans, whether in whole or in part. It's just the right thing to do, and shows why the Riders are arguably the classiest organization in the league. Of course, as a Riders fan I may be a tad biased. :nod:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

None

Feb 22, 2012
People don't believe me when I tell them Brett Maher was in camp with the Bombers and we cut him. He went on the Ottawa then Dallas. Bombers have been swimming in kickers/punters for many many years. Hell they had Parades in camp as well and they cut him as well.

Bombers I think did ok in the draft. Didn't realize until after draft they also lost Dexter Janke. Losing Janke, S Derek Jones, DB Wright and S Hecht all moving on means that depth at the national position in the secondary was certainly a need. Sounds like they got a good one, and now I think they have 3 potential starting national safeties with Exume and both Hallett brothers on the roster. Far cry from having journeyman Hecht and depth guy Jones trying to cover the spot when they needed it to be a national spot (now they have potential for days and don't need it to be a national spot).

Unfortunately now we just have to wait and see for the season. I still think they start in September, perhaps without fans, but they play a 10-12 game season this year. One of the really big problems is going to bringing the Americans north. It's very likely to be nearly impossible to cross the border for a long time considering how poorly the Americans have handled COVID.

But if take a look at the roster I just don't see many weaknesses. The only real concern is if they can find international replacements in the secondary. Otherwise this is a very deep and strong team. Even in the secondary I'd be excited to see what Malik Boynton (cut out of camp last year but a TC standout, IMO), Mike Jones (broke out late in the year, including great GC performance) among others could do with expanded opportunity.

Even in a shortened season I see the Bombers as the favourites to repeat as GC champs. Calgary and Hamilton are of course GC favourites as well with great talent and deep rosters, but the Bombers rank right up there. Can't wait for season to start.

Lirim Hajrullahu's another one, but he was the incumbent who lost his role to Medlock after shanking a few FGs to close out his last season here and then there was always questions about his range. He's had success elsewhere despite how he left here.

My thoughts basically echo yours overall though. This is a really good team that only really has question marks in the defensive backfield. I also think the CFL season will probably start later with a much reduced schedule (8-10 games per team is my guess).

The only other potential question mark is at QB, but I think it's more an issue of who the 2nd string QB is behind Collaros and not the health of Collaros like most would expect. Streveler seemed to be the perfect complementary QB.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Not even a remote chance Alexander gets replaced with any of those Canadians.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Not even a remote chance Alexander gets replaced with any of those Canadians.

Did someone suggest this?

If you're referring to my post I was implying that Alexander would be playing at either HB or CB this season as he did prior to his injury, a Canadian would replace him at safety because it's a more forgiving position.
He's without a doubt our most important DB now with Rose and Fenner gone.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Did someone suggest this?

If you're referring to my post I was implying that Alexander would be playing at either HB or CB this season as he did prior to his injury, a Canadian would replace him at safety because it's a more forgiving position.
He's without a doubt our most important DB now with Rose and Fenner gone.
Holden

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Yeah this is a tough one, although you could hardly categorize CFL players as wealthy athletes!

Reactions: Jets 31

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I didn't suggest we are going back a national safety right now. I said we have potential starters at S, doesnt mean immediately.

And as @None suggests Alexander is likely needed in a more important position so I doubt he is back at S this year. But for now the Bombers have the depth to not require a national at S, depends on what they find in camp.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Lirim Hajrullahu's another one, but he was the incumbent who lost his role to Medlock after shanking a few FGs to close out his last season here and then there was always questions about his range. He's had success elsewhere despite how he left here.

My thoughts basically echo yours overall though. This is a really good team that only really has question marks in the defensive backfield. I also think the CFL season will probably start later with a much reduced schedule (8-10 games per team is my guess).

The only other potential question mark is at QB, but I think it's more an issue of who the 2nd string QB is behind Collaros and not the health of Collaros like most would expect. Streveler seemed to be the perfect complementary QB.

Yeah well see about QB. Bombers are apparently very high on McGuire. They also brought in a guy by the name of Dalton Sneed who's scouting report reads alot like Streveler. One problem is that starting this year the 3rd reserved QB spot on the roster been eliminated, changed into an extra global spot. Meaning that if you want to carry a 3rd QB on the roster that QB would need to be a national or takes up one of your few spots reserved for backup Americans. Unlikely many teams want to waste a valuable american spot on a 3rd qb. My guess is alot of teams will use their inactive spot on roster to keep their extra QB.

QBs are already hard to find and develop eliminating a QB spot is one of the dumbest things the CFL has done in years, IMO.

Reactions: TS Quint

None

Feb 22, 2012
QBs are already hard to find and develop eliminating a QB spot is one of the dumbest things the CFL has done in years, IMO.

Mark Cohon was a far better commissioner than Ambrosie :laugh:
He always felt like more of a spokesman or ambassador whereas Ambrosie just seems like an overly pushy salesperson.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I didn't suggest we are going back a national safety right now. I said we have potential starters at S, doesnt mean immediately.

And as @None suggests Alexander is likely needed in a more important position so I doubt he is back at S this year. But for now the Bombers have the depth to not require a national at S, depends on what they find in camp.
I thought Alexander was much better two years ago. Last year teams seemed to pick on him and really didn’t impact the game in a positive way until he was moved to Safety. Probably why he was chosen to move there. But he does have CFL experience and that might be his edge to move back to HB. At the end of the day I’m betting on a battle for positions in camp.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

None

Feb 22, 2012
I thought Alexander was much better two years ago. Last year teams seemed to pick on him and really didn’t impact the game in a positive way until he was moved to Safety. Probably why he was chosen to move there. But he does have CFL experience and that might be his edge to move back to HB. At the end of the day I’m betting on a battle for positions in camp.

I think the goal of moving Alexander back there was to fix the communication issues with the secondary and because Hecht struggled mightily in coverage.
He was the most experienced back there after they moved on from Leggett, Fogg, Randle, and Loffler.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah well see about QB. Bombers are apparently very high on McGuire. They also brought in a guy by the name of Dalton Sneed who's scouting report reads alot like Streveler. One problem is that starting this year the 3rd reserved QB spot on the roster been eliminated, changed into an extra global spot. Meaning that if you want to carry a 3rd QB on the roster that QB would need to be a national or takes up one of your few spots reserved for backup Americans. Unlikely many teams want to waste a valuable american spot on a 3rd qb. My guess is alot of teams will use their inactive spot on roster to keep their extra QB.

Not sure why the CFL would change that rule. Mike Rielly, Bo Levi Mitchell, and Travis Lulay are just some of the QBs in the past few years that spent time developing as a third string. That’s just off the top of my head. I’m sure there’s more. Plus, if one of your QBs goes down (like ours last year, and Saskatchewan lost their’s and I’m sure there were others) then all of a sudden you’re down to one QB and you have to scramble to bring a guy in.

I’ve checked out tape on Snead. He looks really good. Hopefully he can stick around, at least on the practice roster.

I would also not be surprised to see Streveler resurface in about a year or so. I can see him being cut for sure.

I worry about Collaros’s health, so QB might remain a hole on this team.

Reactions: Fairview

None

Feb 22, 2012
Not sure why the CFL would change that rule. Mike Rielly, Bo Levi Mitchell, and Travis Lulay are just some of the QBs in the past few years that spent time developing as a third string. That’s just off the top of my head. I’m sure there’s more. Plus, if one of your QBs goes down (like ours last year, and Saskatchewan lost their’s and I’m sure there were others) then all of a sudden you’re down to one QB and you have to scramble to bring a guy in.

I’ve checked out tape on Snead. He looks really good. Hopefully he can stick around, at least on the practice roster.

I would also not be surprised to see Streveler resurface in about a year or so. I can see him being cut for sure.

I worry about Collaros’s health, so QB might remain a hole on this team.

It'll probably just result in teams hiding players off of the roster, likely employed by a local company or something.

Reactions: snowkiddin

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
The CFL commissioner is now admitting that the most likely scenario is a cancelled 2020 season.

CFL commissioner admits 2020 season likely to be cancelled - Sportsnet.ca

He also says the league’s future is "very much in jeopardy."

giphy.gif

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
League needs to figure out how to get more fans in the stands when and if that happens, you can't have such poor attendance in the 3 biggest markets, slash tickets prices would be a start unfortunately player salaries would also suffer.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
The Bombers take a tall WR with a long name (Brendon O'leary-Orange) at 37 and pick again soon at 39.
CFL.ca's coverage says he had a concussion that probably knocked him down the draft.

Edit: And a kicker (Marc Liegghio) at 39 shortly after.

Next pick's 46.

Liegghio or Leg for short

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad