Grey Cup Champions, 2019 Blue Bombers

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Rewatch the Grey Cup yet again. Andrew Harris is f***ing amazing. He is for the sure the best Canadian RB of all-time. Hell I'd argue he's the best RB in CFL history. What a beauty.

I remember in the Grey Cup it was 2nd and 17 after a bogus penalty pushed us out of FG range. Harris took a hand off and broke like five tackles and got us the first down. It was amazing

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I suppose in the interests of preserving a "national institution" our federal government could bail them out and provide operating costs from taxpayer dollars but that would be a "grab the torches and pitchforks" moment for me. :mad:

CFL is looking so some major cash from the Federal government.

Right, off to Parliament Hill it is.

pitchforks.gif

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Peanuts really actually. 30 mil is far from a big ask. All business are making the same or FAR bigger requests but the CFL makes headlines since it's a sport is all.

Hopefully the federal govt. steps and provides the funding! Things might go bad in a couple markets Without the funding, think 5-6 team league bad!

This govt. has no problem funding all kinds of things outside Canada with no benefit to Canadians So the CFL better not be shortchanged!

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
They might get a few million per team as a loan if they are fortunate...which is really all they should need given expenses this year will likely total no more than that. Asking $17 million per team is ludicrous for an almost certainly cancelled season.

Few marketing expenses, little stadium upkeep and no day-to-day operations and no game day operations, no players salaries outside of bonuses, no per diems, no training camps, no travel expenses, no office staff after mid-march and those employees can apply for EI or another program, the coaches and management can or should have already had their pay cut 50% or so. Bombers can simply ask the province to postpone those annual $2.5 million stadium payments for this year. The Bombers, Eskimos and Riders collectively have tens of millions of dollars in surplus assets so they can all afford to dip into the reserves for a few million each this year.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Well, if a lost season kills off the CFL, at least the Bombers will remain Champs forever!

Hopefully not, though.

Reactions: Jets 31

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Well, if a lost season kills off the CFL, at least the Bombers will remain Champs forever!

Hopefully not, though.

Wont kill the league. But we might be looking at 1-2 teams folding for at least a few years, albeit I'm sure new franchises would pop back in soon enough. BC and MTL in particular are likely in trouble.

I still dont see the whole season being lost. CFL are hedging their bets and planning for everything but people forget how important valuable that TSN contract is on both sides for CFL and TSN.

Still a wait and see for CFL. They, like most other big business (not huge corporations but still fairly) will likely need some help and will likely be getting it. 30 mil is a drop in the bucket and only reason this is a story since its sports.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Wont kill the league. But we might be looking at 1-2 teams folding for at least a few years, albeit I'm sure new franchises would pop back in soon enough. BC and MTL in particular are likely in trouble.

I still dont see the whole season being lost. CFL are hedging their bets and planning for everything but people forget how important valuable that TSN contract is on both sides for CFL and TSN.

Still a wait and see for CFL. They, like most other big business (not huge corporations but still fairly) will likely need some help and will likely be getting it. 30 mil is a drop in the bucket and only reason this is a story since its sports.

I don't see BC being in trouble because their owner is as committed to the CFL as it gets. However, I do see Montreal being in big trouble. When one of the first moves of the new regime was to cut the cheerleading squad to save a couple bucks before being forced to backtrack, you know these guys aren't going to ride out a storm like this.

The rest of the league should be OK but yeah, like many businesses they're going to need some help getting by.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think the CFL is like any business out there right now. Some businesses are receiving some forgivable elements to help stay afloat but that is a small percentage of funding. Most of the programs are around loans and are not forgivable and need to be repaid.

If the governments could help CFL teams with their rents, get most of their staff on the wage subsidy programs, and get the teams personally guaranteed loans through the BDC that would a provide liquidity to be repaid over 3 years then they would be getting treated like most other highly affected Canadian businesses.

lots of businesses have been mildly impacted or not impacted but lots of other businesses have been shit kicked. CFL will fall in the latter category. I wish teams the best of luck getting loans if they need the help.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm a Bomber fan but with all the money the government is handing out it's hard to justify giving the CFL money. It's entertainment after all .

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I get what you are saying , hockey players make too much money, but the Jets bring in way more money for the government than the Bombers .

The difference between granting money to the NHL and CFL is that the former is very lucrative while the latter is not so much. If the NHL went bankrupt due to covid, you could bet that a replacement league would spring up once conditions improved, and pick up where the NHL left off. It wouldn't be so easy with the CFL. If it dies, there's a chance it may never come back. But that said, I suspect it would return but probably as a much smaller entity, more in the vein of the CPL as compared to the mid-major league (similar to MLS) that it is now.

Reactions: Jets 31

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
So does Walters try to get into the first round by offering a roster player tonight, or does he stand pat and maybe wait for a good player to fall to him late in the second round

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So does Walters try to get into the first round by offering a roster player tonight, or does he stand pat and maybe wait for a good player to fall to him late in the second round

Very little in actual needs. I dont see them trading up. A DT is the big need, and hopefully a developmental WR. But nothing to pressing up like years past.

None

Feb 22, 2012
BC picks Jordan Williams, RB from East Carolina University 1st overall.

Similar build as Andrew Harris, but Harris at the same age was more slightly built.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think the CFL is like any business out there right now. Some businesses are receiving some forgivable elements to help stay afloat but that is a small percentage of funding. Most of the programs are around loans and are not forgivable and need to be repaid.

If the governments could help CFL teams with their rents, get most of their staff on the wage subsidy programs, and get the teams personally guaranteed loans through the BDC that would a provide liquidity to be repaid over 3 years then they would be getting treated like most other highly affected Canadian businesses.

lots of businesses have been mildly impacted or not impacted but lots of other businesses have been shit kicked. CFL will fall in the latter category. I wish teams the best of luck getting loans if they need the help.

Good post. I don't see why the CFL needs additional considerations over the programs that have already been made available by the government. The wage sharing program should help a lot with the league and team personnel salaries. If they need loans ala many other companies then they are well within their rights to apply for them.

Reactions: ps241

theinkster

Apr 10, 2018
BC picks Jordan Williams, RB from East Carolina University 1st overall.

Similar build as Andrew Harris, but Harris at the same age was more slightly built.

Jordan Williams is listed as a LB...unless I'm missing something?

None

Feb 22, 2012
Jordan Williams is listed as a LB...unless I'm missing something?

Yep, my mistake, I haven't followed this draft class at all still enjoying the Grey Cup win :laugh:

Edit:
Bombers select a DB, unsurprising I think, most thought they'd get a 1st year special teamer with potential to be a starter.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yep, my mistake, I haven't followed this draft class at all still enjoying the Grey Cup win :laugh:

Edit:
Bombers select a DB, unsurprising I think, most thought they'd get a 1st year special teamer with potential to be a starter.

Little surprising since it's likely they will not start a national in DB corps this year. But between Exume and the Hallett brothers they might be able to eventually move the S spot back to a national one in 2021 as I dont think any will be ready in 2020.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm all for government funding for the CFL because it's a strong cultural element in our society, and has been around for many years. It's part of our cultural identity, and the clubs and players "need it" to survive. The CFL is a Canadian tradition --and it should stay that way.

I'm not in favor of government handouts for the NHL --most players are multi millionares already. They won't be hurting as far as lifestyle goes. They will just have to cancel their annual purchase of the latest Porsche on the market, and wait til things start rolling again-- and they will.

Reactions: rubikscube

None

Feb 22, 2012
Little surprising since it's likely they will not start a national in DB corps this year. But between Exume and the Hallett brothers they might be able to eventually move the S spot back to a national one in 2021 as I dont think any will be ready in 2020.

Brandon Alexander replacing Hecht at safety was such a boon for the defense, but I think the roster was always constructed with the intent of having a Canadian back there. I think the only other possibility for the Bombers at that spot was a DE to replace Kongbo's flexibility, but they probably just weren't as high on any potential rush end available.

There's holes in the secondary as well with Sayles, Rose, and to a lesser extent Fenner leaving, so I imagine Alexander won't be slotting in at the more forgiving safety spot if this season happens. Those are all internationals though, but the Bombers like to have more flexibility for players that aren't playing every snap.

None

Feb 22, 2012
The Bombers take a tall WR with a long name (Brendon O'leary-Orange) at 37 and pick again soon at 39.
CFL.ca's coverage says he had a concussion that probably knocked him down the draft.

Edit: And a kicker (Marc Liegghio) at 39 shortly after.

Next pick's 46.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad