Grey Cup Champions, 2019 Blue Bombers

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
FIRST!

Love the New updated Blue Bomber Grey Champions title. GOLD MEMBER or er um The Blue Baron gives his stamp of approval!

Now lets defend that sucker at the place we seem to kick ass at during the CFL playoffs, Mosaic “crumbling connectors”:laugh: Stadium where the Classic will be hosted this season.

Cannot wait for the season opener where all 11 Grey Cup Champion banners will be unveiled at IG field. Overdue to represent all those championship seasons but I’ll be shedding tears of joy during that sell out!

Go Bomber Go!:yo:

Reactions: Jets 31

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Second

look forward to the season start

If the season starts. Anyone else thinking we might lose the CFL season, too? Mass gatherings might be at an end for the foreseeable future until we either get a vaccine or achieve herd immunity because enough people have caught the bug. And lived to tell the tale, of course.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The XFL players are becoming free agents Monday. They basically put on a 6 week training camp for CFL teams to scout. Anyone watch the XFL? Anyone know any of the good players they had that might be worth while for a CFL team to bring in?

(Please keep any corona talk and season cancellation out of this. Give me this one goddamn thing please)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The XFL players are becoming free agents Monday. They basically put on a 6 week training camp for CFL teams to scout. Anyone watch the XFL? Anyone know any of the good players they had that might be worth while for a CFL team to bring in?

(Please keep any corona talk and season cancellation out of this. Give me this one goddamn thing please)

There was interesting guy, imo. Pierson-El. He was with Raiders during the raiders packers preseason game here and I thought he was the best player on the field that day. He was one of top wr and kr in XFL. I think hed have Chad Owens/Brandon Banks like potential in CFL. He might get NFL interest but his size will limit him down south.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I doubt there will be a season. While I'm hopeful restrictions will be relaxed for physical distancing in the next few months, I don't see gatherings of more than several hundred people being allowed until well into the fall (too late for a half season which would be the bare minimum allowed)...possibly not for the rest of the year. Given how reliant the cfl is on gate revenue it would not be worth carrying out a full or half season in empty stadiums. The relatively small TV deal ($5 million per team) and league sponsorships would not warrant such actions.

On the plus side, the Bombers would be defending Grey Cup champions for 2 years!

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/commissioner-randy-ambrosie-q-a-football-covid19-1.5516541

CBC Sports: How much is this affecting the business side of things right now and what would it mean to have to cancel the season?
Ambrosie: I can tell you without a doubt that a cancelled season would be devastating financially. Almost all your revenue streams go away at that point. But you have to account for that as a possibility. The pragmatic optimist in me and my faith in what's been going on and how the medical community is handling the crisis, I believe we'll get through this and play football this year. I'm not indulging in the doomsday scenarios yet.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Things are changing every single day. Any predictions for next week are premature. To suggest anything about the summer or fall is ludacris at this point.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Things are changing every single day. Any predictions for next week are premature. To suggest anything about the summer or fall is ludacris at this point.

With all the cancellations of major events months from now, I don't think it is premature at all. This virus will still be relatively widespread in the early summer. There will be no large gatherings of thousands of people in 8 weeks for risk of hastening a second peak of new cases.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ok so I don't follow college football, I know very little about NFL or CFL draft prospects. That's my disclaimer.

However, what I am hearing is that this CFL draft class was VERY top heavy (a few elite prospects, but little depth). It looks like the top end is getting gobbled pretty hard though. The top 2 were obviously not going to be CFLers for a long time with having #1 ranked DT Neville Gallimore and #2 ranked WR Chase Claypool go on Day 2 in NFL draft, they will be down south for likely 3-4 years minimum. However most had projected #3 ranked U of Alberta OL Carter O'Donnell going #1 overall to Calgary, however he signed a UDFA deal with the Colts with a fairly big signing bonus (would have been 3rd highest in all of 2019). He will get a great shot in Indy to make that team and if they like him that much he will likely at very least get practice roster looks. #6 ranked Brown DT Michael Hoecht and #9 ranked Montreal DB Marc-Antoine Dequoy have both also signed in NFL immediately following the draft. #18 ranked Simon Fraser WR Rysen John has also signed.

#4 ranked Buffalo OL Tomas Jack-Kurdyla, #5 ranked Virginia WR Dejon Brissett, and #7 ranked Ohio State QB Nathan Rourke also could get NFL looks among others.

Basically the top has been pulled off this draft. Others I'm sure are going to get looks in a rookie camps if they actually happen.

All in all, it sounds like a good year to not have a first round pick, picking last every round, and to not have very many picks. Looks like Walters played it right again.

Obviously a bunch of guys that head down south will be back as soon as this fall, but you just never know with guys that go down south, which is why they slide in CFL draft. Hell Bombers might be able to scoop up a few of these elite talents later on in the draft and hope that eventually they come north.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Ok so I don't follow college football, I know very little about NFL or CFL draft prospects. That's my disclaimer.

However, what I am hearing is that this CFL draft class was VERY top heavy (a few elite prospects, but little depth). It looks like the top end is getting gobbled pretty hard though. The top 2 were obviously not going to be CFLers for a long time with having #1 ranked DT Neville Gallimore and #2 ranked WR Chase Claypool go on Day 2 in NFL draft, they will be down south for likely 3-4 years minimum. However most had projected #3 ranked U of Alberta OL Carter O'Donnell going #1 overall to Calgary, however he signed a UDFA deal with the Colts with a fairly big signing bonus (would have been 3rd highest in all of 2019). He will get a great shot in Indy to make that team and if they like him that much he will likely at very least get practice roster looks. #6 ranked Brown DT Michael Hoecht and #9 ranked Montreal DB Marc-Antoine Dequoy have both also signed in NFL immediately following the draft. #18 ranked Simon Fraser WR Rysen John has also signed.

#4 ranked Buffalo OL Tomas Jack-Kurdyla, #5 ranked Virginia WR Dejon Brissett, and #7 ranked Ohio State QB Nathan Rourke also could get NFL looks among others.

Basically the top has been pulled off this draft. Others I'm sure are going to get looks in a rookie camps if they actually happen.

All in all, it sounds like a good year to not have a first round pick, picking last every round, and to not have very many picks. Looks like Walters played it right again.

Obviously a bunch of guys that head down south will be back as soon as this fall, but you just never know with guys that go down south, which is why they slide in CFL draft. Hell Bombers might be able to scoop up a few of these elite talents later on in the draft and hope that eventually they come north.

Actually I've heard some experts say that this years CFL draft is just as deep as last years. The real difference between this years class and last years is the linebackers. Their was more defensive end type prospects taken last year, due to very little linebacking depth.

I think the Bombers are set at Oline and will try to go after a DT to play behind Thomas and Griffiths. You guys also lost Kongbo to the NFL and will probably also add a DE. The Bombers have a couple Canadians who can play WLB, but could draft one of the MLB prospects.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Actually I've heard some experts say that this years CFL draft is just as deep as last years. The real difference between this years class and last years is the linebackers. Their was more defensive end type prospects taken last year, due to very little linebacking depth.

I think the Bombers are set at Oline and will try to go after a DT to play behind Thomas and Griffiths. You guys also lost Kongbo to the NFL and will probably also add a DE. The Bombers have a couple Canadians who can play WLB, but could draft one of the MLB prospects.

Bombers have a ratio changer at DE in global Thiadric Hansen. With no first to get a guy like Bennett doubt they look at DE. Kongbo was a special case where hed have been in NFL last year if he wasnt injured in his last year of college. Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Hansen, Antigua, and McAllister have the DE spot real full already going to be hard to break in there even for a national if he cant play the teams.

DT would certainly be nice. That's 100% the #1 need with Thomas getting up there. However your not getting a day 1 player in 3-8 rounds.

WR is another place they could use some depth. They ran real thin last year with 2 starters and only 3 on roster. Luckily Demski and Wolitarsky stayed healthy but that might not be true again.

No idea who you think can play Will on Bombers D for nationals? Guys like Miles or Gauthier are not an option on D. Briggs is ok in an emergency but hed be a disaster as a starter. A ratio changer at LB would be nice but they are pretty rare. A developmental LB would be nice though.

Bombers dont have many picks and no high picks. They'll be looking at NFL guys who might not be back for a while, true projects and ST guys, IMO.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Bombers have a ratio changer at DE in global Thiadric Hansen. With no first to get a guy like Bennett doubt they look at DE. Kongbo was a special case where hed have been in NFL last year if he wasnt injured in his last year of college. Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Hansen, Antigua, and McAllister have the DE spot real full already going to be hard to break in there even for a national if he cant play the teams.

DT would certainly be nice. That's 100% the #1 need with Thomas getting up there. However your not getting a day 1 player in 3-8 rounds.

WR is another place they could use some depth. They ran real thin last year with 2 starters and only 3 on roster. Luckily Demski and Wolitarsky stayed healthy but that might not be true again.

No idea who you think can play Will on Bombers D for nationals? Guys like Miles or Gauthier are not an option on D. Briggs is ok in an emergency but hed be a disaster as a starter. A ratio changer at LB would be nice but they are pretty rare. A developmental LB would be nice though.

Bombers dont have many picks and no high picks. They'll be looking at NFL guys who might not be back for a while, true projects and ST guys, IMO.

Briggs played well when asked to play, but you guys have no National backup behind Bighill. Rossi or Felmate could be the Bombers pick in the third round.

Hansen isn't a National and this year has some good DEs, who might be there in rounds 2-4. Dheilly, Aedeymi-Berglund, Acheampong and Winnipeg boy Gowanlock. No one is expecting them to start, but you do need Dlinemen to rotate and play special teams.

No one is expecting a third round DT to beat out Thomas or Griffths, they are expecting depth at the position.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Briggs played well when asked to play, but you guys have no National backup behind Bighill. Rossi or Felmate could be the Bombers pick in the third round.

Hansen isn't a National and this year has some good DEs, who might be there in rounds 2-4. Dheilly, Aedeymi-Berglund, Acheampong and Winnipeg boy Gowanlock. No one is expecting them to start, but you do need Dlinemen to rotate and play special teams.

No one is expecting a third round DT to beat out Thomas or Griffths, they are expecting depth at the position.

Says in my post that Hansen is a global. I know he's not national. But it's a ratio breaker because he's a quality rotational guy off the edge that doesn't use one of the very few backup international spots. Alot of DE's don't play ST, Kongbo played on barely any for example. They have 3 proven international DE and 1 global. With another international who showed great in his 3 games last year when injuries hit who's back for another try to make the roster. Bombers traded Chris Casher last year for a random neg list player. With 46 man rosters its very hard to carry a 5th DE even a national since alot of DE don't play ST. I'm most certainly not opposed to the idea, but considering it's very unlikely a 3rd-5th round DE would be able to step in even as a rotational guy immediately. It's just far from a big need for the Bombers.

You seem really high on Griffiths. If the Bombers get a quality national DT in the draft I'm not convinced Griffiths makes the team. Spent last year on PR, seemed kinda pedestrian in pre-season IIRC. As I say DT is most certainly the #1 need for the Bombers going into the draft as that's the one spot they start a national on the defense, and Thomas desperately needs to have a rotational guy with him, preferably national. That Ekaktie bust is one of the few REALLY bad missteps the organization has made lately it's obvious what hole he should be in if he had worked out. A run stopping DT national DT is the exact need for the Bombers.

Bombers have consistently used one of the backup international spots on a backup LB that can play WLB or MLB. With Bighill, Wilson, and Awe on the roster I just don't see that changing. Briggs as the emergency guy. Again I would certainly no be opposed to bringing in a National if he can play, but it's far from a need, IMO.

My original post wasn't really about Bombers needs. In your post you mentioned Bombers should be targeting a DT. I agree there for sure. And if the LB and DE class are as deep as you say, and you seem to know what you are talking about, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to adding the best talent even it's not strictly a positional fit.

Bombers for once actually have good nationals basically across the board. Big reason this organization has turned it around.

My order for positional need are DT, REC, ST (always need more ST guys), LB, DE. With DT being the biggest need by far. What DT's could the Bombers target with pick 18 you think?

Bombers hold picks 18, 37, 39, 46, 55, 64, and 73. Here's hoping your right and the Bombers can find some steals. They've done a great job drafting lately, I mean a guy like Exume in the 8th round last year was unreal. I'm actually excited to see if he could one day be a starting S, he was amazing on ST in his rookie year.

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I really can't see how the CFL can play this year. Arenas and stadiums simply can't be safely re-opened to fans within the foreseeable future, and the CFL can't operate without gate revenue. OK, well technically, the Argos and Als could, they've been doing it for years. :sarcasm:

I suppose in the interests of preserving a "national institution" our federal government could bail them out and provide operating costs from taxpayer dollars but that would be a "grab the torches and pitchforks" moment for me. :mad:

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Says in my post that Hansen is a global. I know he's not national. But it's a ratio breaker because he's a quality rotational guy off the edge that doesn't use one of the very few backup international spots. Alot of DE's don't play ST, Kongbo played on barely any for example. They have 3 proven international DE and 1 global. With another international who showed great in his 3 games last year when injuries hit who's back for another try to make the roster. Bombers traded Chris Casher last year for a random neg list player. With 46 man rosters its very hard to carry a 5th DE even a national since alot of DE don't play ST. I'm most certainly not opposed to the idea, but considering it's very unlikely a 3rd-5th round DE would be able to step in even as a rotational guy immediately. It's just far from a big need for the Bombers.

You seem really high on Griffiths. If the Bombers get a quality national DT in the draft I'm not convinced Griffiths makes the team. Spent last year on PR, seemed kinda pedestrian in pre-season IIRC. As I say DT is most certainly the #1 need for the Bombers going into the draft as that's the one spot they start a national on the defense, and Thomas desperately needs to have a rotational guy with him, preferably national. That Ekaktie bust is one of the few REALLY bad missteps the organization has made lately it's obvious what hole he should be in if he had worked out. A run stopping DT national DT is the exact need for the Bombers.

Bombers have consistently used one of the backup international spots on a backup LB that can play WLB or MLB. With Bighill, Wilson, and Awe on the roster I just don't see that changing. Briggs as the emergency guy. Again I would certainly no be opposed to bringing in a National if he can play, but it's far from a need, IMO.

My original post wasn't really about Bombers needs. In your post you mentioned Bombers should be targeting a DT. I agree there for sure. And if the LB and DE class are as deep as you say, and you seem to know what you are talking about, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to adding the best talent even it's not strictly a positional fit.

Bombers for once actually have good nationals basically across the board. Big reason this organization has turned it around.

My order for positional need are DT, REC, ST (always need more ST guys), LB, DE. With DT being the biggest need by far. What DT's could the Bombers target with pick 18 you think?

Bombers hold picks 18, 37, 39, 46, 55, 64, and 73. Here's hoping your right and the Bombers can find some steals. They've done a great job drafting lately, I mean a guy like Exume in the 8th round last year was unreal. I'm actually excited to see if he could one day be a starting S, he was amazing on ST in his rookie year.

A ratio breaker is National who can start at a position, that a International usually plays. In no way does a Global affect the seven National starters or even a backup.

DEs play on special teams all the time. Current Stampeder McGough had 11 special teams tackles, just because the Bombers don't use DEs as gunners doesn't mean other teams don't. Plus I could have sworn see Kongbo on the field goal unit and kick return.

Briggs is the emergency LB, but when given the chance he played well and sometimes all a player needs is a chance. Look at Shorthill last year, dominated both games he started and will be competing with Ackie and Lokombo for the Argos starting WLB spot. Lalama could be the starting WLB for the Al's. Injuries happen you could lose both Awe and Wilson, but the Bombers have some good depth at National WLB.

I'm high on Griffiths due to his strength and technique. The reason why he didn't get on the field was due to small CFL rosters. You had Thomas who was a starter at DT and when he went off Kongbo would come in for a International DE.

Last edited:

MarketSquare

Apr 26, 2020
I really can't see how the CFL can play this year. Arenas and stadiums simply can't be safely re-opened to fans within the foreseeable future, and the CFL can't operate without gate revenue. OK, well technically, the Argos and Als could, they've been doing it for years. :sarcasm:

I suppose in the interests of preserving a "national institution" our federal government could bail them out and provide operating costs from taxpayer dollars but that would be a "grab the torches and pitchforks" moment for me. :mad:

CFL will play a season no doubt.

The pandemic will be over in month

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
A ratio breaker is National who can start at a position, that a International usually plays. In no way does a Global affect the seven National starters or even a backup.

DEs play on special teams all the time. Current Stampeder McGough had 11 special teams tackles, just because the Bombers don't use DEs as gunners doesn't mean other teams don't. Plus I could have sworn see Kongbo on the field goal unit and kick return.

Briggs is the emergency LB, but when given the chance he played well and sometimes all a player needs is a chance. Look at Shorthill last year, dominated both games he started and will be competing with Ackie and Lokombo for the Argos starting WLB spot. Lalama could be the starting WLB for the Al's. Injuries happen you could lose both Awe and Wilson, but the Bombers have some good depth at National WLB.

I'm high on Griffiths due to his strength and technique. The reason why he didn't get on the field was due to small CFL rosters. You had Thomas who was a starter at DT and when he went off Kongbo would come in for a International DE.

Well I completely disagree. Hansen as a global is a solid roatational DE, that's huge. Hell this is a guy as a global who was so trusted that he was on the field on the last play of the west final. He is a solid DE that doesn't count towards the "international" count (ie american count). That huge. Unlike what you are saying, that makes a MASSIVE difference in roster building. Having a solid DE that can collapse that pocket that doesn't count towards your international max whether national (canadian) or global (international) is a huge deal with dealing with the ratio. Now you you no longer need to keep an extra international/american along the DL, which frees up a key backup international spot. Almost every other team carried a global that couldn't be trusted to even take a snap, but here are the Bombers having a global that takes hugely meaningful snaps on defense that lessens that amount of weight they need to put on internationals to set the edge. It makes a huge difference in team building, which is why I say he's a ratio breaker. Not a traditional ratio breaker like having a national DE, MLB, CB, OT, RB as a starter, but having a quality global on DE that can play in key situations makes a huge difference.

Yes having a global who can play a key role doesn't affect the 7 nationals you need to start. But it can make a big effect on the roster building. Having a guy you can trust at DE in even the most key situations (see above last play of West Final) that doesn't count towards international total is huge in roster building so I consider that a ratio breaker. Your definition might be more reserved, but it's CFL 2.0 as Ambrosie says so embrace the new even if most teams won't.

I don't recall seeing Kongbo on hardly any special teams. Perhaps he was. But DE isn't really a position that transitions well to ST for the most part. Not bulky enough to play on FG, not quite fast/nimble enough to play on punt cover or the kick return/kick cover teams. In general. Some are great enough athletes to pull it off as you say with McGough. But's if fairly rare.

Lalama as a starter would be great...for every team they play. He signed back home with the Bombers last year. We saw what he had. He is a great ST player. No where near a starter on D. Argos started f***ing Wild last year. He was like the 9th best LB on the Bombers two years ago behind like 5 career backup nationals, the Argos terrible D is nothing to go on. A national LB would be great, but how many beyond #1 overall Bomber pick Henoc Muamba,#6 overall American who a parent made him a Canadian Alex Singleton, and #2 overall Cam Judge how many Canadians actually can play D at LB? Seriously if the class is as deep as you seem to think I f***ing LOVE to get a LB that can play D at some point, but Canadian LB whether MLB or WLB is a true ratio breaker as you define it. Yes I know Sam Hurl started on D for the Bombers and Sask at times but he was brutal there.

I'm not sure how much you follow the Bombers, but last year they had 1 "starter" as a national on D. Most of time it was Thomas at DT. They rotated in Kongbo, Briggs, Jeff Hecht, and Derek Jones (since signed in BC) when he came off. It was very fluid. I really hope you are right about Griffiths. The Bombers desperately need a national DT to spell Thomas. Or as you say they need another national that can rotate in with Kongbo and Jones gone, Hecht even older and slower and Briggs still just backup. They need another national D player desperately.

As I've said repeatedly their #1 need is DT. They really need a guy who can rotate in on the DL and they are MUCH shallower at DT than DE. A REC would be a nice grab as well since they start 2 and only have 1 backup. If they can get a developmental DE, LB or DB that could one day be a starter that would be unreal. As I've said though I think they already have their developmental DB in Exume or maybe Nick Hallett.

Bombers are in a very unique postion for them where they have very few needs for nationals. DT is huge, but outside that they have basically no weaknesses. At OL they have 3 starters in Desjarlais, Couture, Neufeld with 3 pushing hard for playing time in Speller, Gray and Eli. 2 great starters at REC with Demski and Wolitarsky with another pushing hard in Petermann. A hall of famer at RB in Harris with a guy who can start anywhere else in CFL in Augustine and a potential star in Oliveira. Solid veteran at DT in Thomas with prospect in Griffiths behind him. ST aces in Exume and Hallett that have potential as DB's on D. Solid ST depth with Briggs, Exume, Gauthier, Rush, Miles, Miller. They can afford to swing for the fences in the draft since they have just one need.

Reactions: John Agar

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Rewatch the Grey Cup yet again. Andrew Harris is f***ing amazing. He is for the sure the best Canadian RB of all-time. Hell I'd argue he's the best RB in CFL history. What a beauty.

I'm still disgusted with certain members of the media and what they did to him, what he did last year during the season and postseason was something to see

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Rewatch the Grey Cup yet again. Andrew Harris is f***ing amazing. He is for the sure the best Canadian RB of all-time. Hell I'd argue he's the best RB in CFL history. What a beauty.
I still have the game on PVR , i love how the Bombers just keep winning . :laugh: Our defense had a very good game too . :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad