Greetings from the newest Islanders fan

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Hi all,

I come to you as the newest fan of your team. I'm not coming as just someone who is willing to like the Islanders and casually follow along, I am coming as someone who has been that way in the past but is now making the decision to throw my full support behind this team. I am a very avid and knowledgeable hockey fan who just hasn't happened to have a "favorite" team over time. I live in Western Wisconsin and I find myself watching Islanders games more than any other team. I can't tell you exactly what drew me in, but here I am. Though I consider myself one that knows a lot about the NHL, the players in it and the stories in it, I will be educating myself more and more on the intricacies of this team that I might not already know. Usually fanhood happens organically, and I think that has happened to an extent with me but I am also going to water this fanhood to make sure it can grow. I know previous years haven't been the most kind to NYI, and I want to get fully on board now so I can enjoy the inevitable takeoff under solid leadership.

Any things about the Islanders that I should know from the get-go that someone who hasn't lived and died with the team for years would want me to know?

Can't wait to converse with you all.

Go Isles.

Welcome aboard :thumbu:.

You are joining at a really good time.
We finally have strong ownership + a quality GM+ a terrific head coach.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Well done!

Everytime I see a replay -- the chills come back -- and then the memory of standing on the seats cheering. Then the cheap shots by those *****es from Toronto as the clock hit zero. What a game that was.

In fact -- better memories in than that series than the one against Florida. Go figya.
I distinctly remember seeing Ty Domi's look of exasperation on the ice while waiting for the rain of bottles to stop before leaving the ice. My father doesn't remember much but he distinctly remembers that penalty shot as if it were yesterday.

The loudest arena I've ever been in.

Has to be the most intense first round playoff series in any sport.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I distinctly remember seeing Ty Domi's look of exasperation on the ice while waiting for the rain of bottles to stop before leaving the ice. My father doesn't remember much but he distinctly remembers that penalty shot as if it were yesterday.

The loudest arena I've ever been in.

Has to be the most intense first round playoff series in any sport.

Now youve done it.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I remember Deb Kaufman interviewing Bates -- he admitted after they called the PS, he almost threw up out of nerves.

LOL.. MY BOY!!!!!

Reactions: Keyserfrans

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
John Tonelli tying game 5 (in a best of 5 series) with 2 minutes left and then winning it in OT is another great one. Dynasty would have never happened. Bob Bourne's end to end rush against the Rangers a year later is another one.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Funny how a winning streak and some positive press (very little actually) will bring out the riff -raff!! Welcome!!!

As a tortured Isles fan my entire life, Ill have to admit this is some of the best hockey we've seen in close to 20 years. Enjoy!

For the full HF Isles experience, you should participate, or at least view at first, the GDTs. You'll see some colorful stuff.. just don't take any of it to heart -- we are passionate bunch while watching our team...
Been an Isles fan for two months and all I've known is an all-conquering Isles team. I don't know what you're on about!!!!! Ha ha

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Been an Isles fan for two months and all I've known is an all-conquering Isles team. I don't know what you're on about!!!!! Ha ha

You are what we call a fair weather fan. :laugh:

You and the new guy for choosing a powerhouse to support from game 1. All of the fun, none of the pain. Tsk, tsk. Haha.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
You are what we call a fair weather fan. :laugh:

You and the new guy for choosing a powerhouse to support from game 1. All of the fun, none of the pain. Tsk, tsk. Haha.
Common, PW....you know its just a matter of time before something will go south. Its a mathematical and cosmic certainty.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Welcome to the wagon, it's a mediocre one but hoping to improve it at some time. Not much I can tell you if you've been following along. Strange time to become a fan, but happy to have you aboard!

This is the worst welcome response I've ever seen. You're fired.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I just can’t imagine what we would have had they traded or signed JT. I cannot let go

You must

upload_2019-1-8_18-43-49.jpeg

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Why? Just, why? Enjoy the Badgers and call it a game.

I kid. Excellent choice, of course. Particularly if you want a nice character-building (since 1994) exercise. Spot on, in fact.

This is a team for people who like being beaten about the head and neck with a wet sock filled with leaden foolishness. We’ve sat and rooted for a donkey to win the derby for 9 years, only to watch that jackass depart to bluer pastures.

We are, however, in the first year of having a coach in - oh - almost 20 years. Most of us are just happy that part of the equation has been rectified. Others want more.

Maybe you were the missing piece.

Regardless, I feel like a bad guardian angel here - being around since the pen and paper days - but you’ll fit in with the rest of the group if you debate mercilessly, hate the Rags, now hate the Laffs, and love the idea of one for the thumb.

DOCHockeyGuy

Jan 8, 2019
Wisconsin
Why? Just, why? Enjoy the Badgers and call it a game.

I kid. Excellent choice, of course. Particularly if you want a nice character-building (since 1994) exercise. Spot on, in fact.

This is a team for people who like being beaten about the head and neck with a wet sock filled with leaden foolishness. We’ve sat and rooted for a donkey to win the derby for 9 years, only to watch that jackass depart to bluer pastures.

We are, however, in the first year of having a coach in - oh - almost 20 years. Most of us are just happy that part of the equation has been rectified. Others want more.

Maybe you were the missing piece.

Regardless, I feel like a bad guardian angel here - being around since the pen and paper days - but you’ll fit in with the rest of the group if you debate mercilessly, hate the Rags, now hate the Laffs, and love the idea of one for the thumb.
I make this choice knowing full well that I could be headed for a long life of disappointment, but the Milwaukee Brewers already have me semi conditioned for that so I’m ready.

I’m kidding - sort of

Reactions: beach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad