Greetings from the newest Islanders fan

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
This was my first game as an islander fan that I realized afterwards was a historic moment

(Warning: Salty pens announcers)

Islanders announcers

entire game

An interesting time in islander history

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
This was my first game as an islander fan that I realized afterwards was a historic moment

Islanders announcers

entire game

Those Pittsburgh announcers are the worst. More Pittsburgh players were ejected from that game, but the islanders were the ones that were being “an embarrassment to hockey”.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Those Pittsburgh announcers are the worst. More Pittsburgh players were ejected from that game, but the islanders were the ones that were being “an embarrassment to hockey”.
Gillies was sort of an embarrassment, but yeah, the penguins announcers are obnoxious homers

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Gillies was sort of an embarrassment, but yeah, the penguins announcers are obnoxious homers

What! No way man..

It was awesome having a half-crazy guy on our squad that every opposing team was concerned about because they had NO CLUE what he might do in any given moment.. I mean the other teams had no solution..

They legitimately did not know what to do... I mean they literally had no answer for how to deal with Gillies...

It was great! lol..

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Islanders announcers

entire game

Wang was against fighting, so this game happened when our players got sick and tired of being gooned.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Friendly visitor with a most likely dumb question but here goes: why can't I find your GDTs?

(Not merely a visitor. For some reason I haven't quite figured out yet, I've always loved NY Islanders. This goes way before Rags got a Swedish king, let alone Flip & Leonidas doing good for a change. Maybe it's some kind of a Long Island thing from some old movie or book but still a mystery. Anyways, who wouldn't love what you're doing now. The Ducks game with Clutterbuck 2G and Kommie 1G, that was a working man's win! Blue collar not blue chip. Reminds one of the old games when it was all hustle and blood sweat tears.)

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I’m not gonna argue about Gillies, but those announcers were over the top homer.
Did someone say Gillies?!

Gillies.gif

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Hi all,

I come to you as the newest fan of your team. I'm not coming as just someone who is willing to like the Islanders and casually follow along, I am coming as someone who has been that way in the past but is now making the decision to throw my full support behind this team. I am a very avid and knowledgeable hockey fan who just hasn't happened to have a "favorite" team over time. I live in Western Wisconsin and I find myself watching Islanders games more than any other team. I can't tell you exactly what drew me in, but here I am. Though I consider myself one that knows a lot about the NHL, the players in it and the stories in it, I will be educating myself more and more on the intricacies of this team that I might not already know. Usually fanhood happens organically, and I think that has happened to an extent with me but I am also going to water this fanhood to make sure it can grow. I know previous years haven't been the most kind to NYI, and I want to get fully on board now so I can enjoy the inevitable takeoff under solid leadership.

Any things about the Islanders that I should know from the get-go that someone who hasn't lived and died with the team for years would want me to know?

Can't wait to converse with you all.

Go Isles.
I would highly recommend you making your way to Long Island and catching a game at the barn. It's the last of the old time arenas and hockey will never be the same once the Islanders leave it for good. If you want to really be hooked on the team make the trip and get to know what it is to be an Islander in this last vestige of old time hockey.

Reactions: DOCHockeyGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad