Greatest Goal in Caps history

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
1. Kuzy knocking out the clovers- Just never thought it would happen after all the years of pain. I was actually in shock and thought it was going to be called back for some reason. No way we could win? What? No.... WHAT?! YES!
2. Eller clincher. Ill love that man forever for that. Dont ever say hes not worth that contract. Ever.
3. Ovechkin game 7 vs Tampa. Im pretty sure he roared after that. It was a 'no f***ing way Tampa' goal. We were going to the finals and we were gonna win.
4. 'The Goal' vs Arizona.
5. Ovechkin game 3 cup finals first goal.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My top 5:
1. This will surprise you, but OV's playoff goal against the Rangers in 2009. Deked 2 defenders, scored from his knees -- even more beautiful than the Arizona goal IMO.
2. DSP's game tying goal vs Vegas GM5
3. OV's legendary goal vs Arizona
4. Lars Eller GWG vs Vegas GM5
5. Dale Hunter GWG vs Flyers in 1988 playoffs. I was in attendance at that game -- a 16 year old kid with a pretty embarassing mullet :P

This thread has poked the memory. I will play the 5 game.

1. Ov flying goal mentioned above.
2. Ov ppg on the Backstrom super saucer pass
3. Hunter OTG v Flyers. I was there.
4. Fedorov v Rangers. I mean....come on. Feds was a Capital. Hall of Fame moment.
5. Rod Langway OTG v Rangers playoffs. If only because he nearly shoves Jeff Rimer into the stands after.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
1. Kuznetsov's OT goal - really easy choice for me
2. Ovechkin's G7 goal vs. Tampa - they'd never gotten a goal that early in such an important game, made me feel like this time was different
3. Eller's GWG - would be higher but I felt like they were winning the series anyway by that point
4. Ovechkin's hat trick goal in G2 vs Pittsburgh - made me think that this guy was going to singlehandedly carry the team to a Cup
5. Kuznetsov's GWG vs the Islanders - surprised this hasn't gotten a mention

Thought it would be boring to only list goals from this past Spring.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Kuzy's GWG against the Penguins has to be the most important goal in franchise history.

If the Capitals lose Game 6 how confident are we that they would end up beating Pittsburgh in Game 7 at home, especially with Backstrom still injured? Because the dread in the building would have been tangible even before the puck dropped.

Cornpuckers

Jan 12, 2019
1. Eller’s goal that brought home the Cup
2. Kuzy vs the Pens
3. Ovi’s G7 goal vs TB
4. Bura’s first goal in G7 vs TB...killed all hope the home team
5. Eller G3 OT winner vs Columbus
6. Juneau vs Buffalo
7. Hunter vs Philly

Last edited:

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
1. Eller's Game 5 winner vs Vegas (this is in retrospect; obviously I was thrilled in the moment but Caps still had a long way to go)
2. Kuznetsov's OT winner vs Pittsburgh
3. Juneau's OT winner vs Buffalo
4. Ward's OT winner vs Boston (whole series was a nail biter)
5. Ovechkin's game winner vs Pittsburgh (Game 3 2018)
Honorable mention:
-Kuznetsov's series winner vs Islanders

Reactions: RandyHolt

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
1. Eller's Game 5 winner vs Vegas (this is in retrospect; obviously I was thrilled in the moment but Caps still had a long way to go)
2. Kuznetsov's OT winner vs Pittsburgh
3. Juneau's OT winner vs Buffalo
4. Ward's OT winner vs Boston (whole series was a nail biter)
5. Ovechkin's game winner vs Pittsburgh (Game 3 2018)
Honorable mention:
-Kuznetsov's series winner vs Islanders
Your parenthetical on #1 makes no sense.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Your parenthetical on #1 makes no sense.

What about it doesn't make sense? In the moment that it happened it was not yet known that it would be the Stanley Cup-winning goal. So I'm ranking it #1 based on its importance, not by how excited I was in that moment (which is what makes the other ones on the list memorable for me).

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
What about it doesn't make sense? In the moment that it happened it was not yet known that it would be the Stanley Cup-winning goal. So I'm ranking it #1 based on its importance, not by how excited I was in that moment (which is what makes the other ones on the list memorable for me).
Oh I see. Didn't think of 7 minutes as a lot of work.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Well I was pretty f***ing excited at the time, in that moment:)

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
BTW @txpd

Those were GREAT goals no doubt, but exciting goals in series we ended up losing don't stick in the brain like series winners, or Cup winners do. But you knew that ;)

I mean, Eller's goal wasn't even that pretty. It was basically a double vomit by Sbisa, a nice pass (Burky) and a meh shot (Conno), then a tap in by Eller. But will be forever ingrained into Caps lore because of the greater significance.

Reactions: calicapsfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
BTW @txpd

Those were GREAT goals no doubt, but exciting goals in series we ended up losing don't stick in the brain like series winners, or Cup winners do. But you knew that ;)

I mean, Eller's goal wasn't even that pretty. It was basically a double vomit by Sbisa, a nice pass (Burky) and a meh shot (Conno), then a tap in by Eller. But will be forever ingrained into Caps lore because of the greater significance.

Greatest goals is the question. Most important goals is easy. Cup winning goal. Series winning goals. Its not really even a question then. Why bother.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Well I was pretty ****ing excited at the time, in that moment:)

Me too, believe me. Same with the DSP goal. It was more of a nervous excitement than pure elation though. I didn’t really go nuts until the clock ran out.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Not counting this years playoff run...

Ovies "the goal" vs Phoenix his rookie season. I remember Grezkty was their coach at the time and his Jaw was on the floor.

The 1st Cup run in 99 when Hasek got so mad he threw his blocker at Bondra

Federovs Winner vs the Rangers in the young gun era

Kuzys game 7 winner vs the islanders

Wards game 7 winner vs the Bruins as a 8 seed

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The 1st Cup run in 99 when Hasek got so mad he threw his blocker at Bondra

I remember that. I believe Hasek also gave up a long range goal to Craig Berube, and the following day he had a sign on his back at practice, over his name plate, that said "Swiss Cheese". LMAO! I think I was at that game, Game 4 I think, in Buffalo.... drove with my GF to Rochester to meet her folks and catch a Caps road playoff game in Buffalo at HSBC. Good times.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
BTW, Bondra was so sick that series, but one play in game 6 (the clincher) stands out in my memory but no one will find it on youtube because it wasn't a goal...

Some D, I think Calle Jo, takes a slapper from the middle blue line, on goal. Bondra is moving left to right, times a jump perfectly, and deflects the shot between his legs. Crazy thing is, he deflected a knee high slapper between his legs and the deflection goes upwards, and rings off the crossbar. The timing, courage and eye-hand coordination all together were the most insane thing I've ever seen any hockey player ever do. One fraction of an inch different and he deflects that slap shot into his own nuts. No goal though, so no highlight real footage. I'd LOVE to see that again, it may be found on an entire series or game recap.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
BTW, Bondra was so sick that series, but one play in game 6 (the clincher) stands out in my memory but no one will find it on youtube because it wasn't a goal...

Some D, I think Calle Jo, takes a slapper from the middle blue line, on goal. Bondra is moving left to right, times a jump perfectly, and deflects the shot between his legs. Crazy thing is, he deflected a knee high slapper between his legs and the deflection goes upwards, and rings off the crossbar. The timing, courage and eye-hand coordination all together were the most insane thing I've ever seen any hockey player ever do. One fraction of an inch different and he deflects that slap shot into his own nuts. No goal though, so no highlight real footage. I'd LOVE to see that again, it may be found on an entire series or game recap.
I spent like a day last summer trying to find it and couldn't

Reactions: kicksavedave

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
BTW @txpd

I call it the "pickpocket goal", because that's what it was, Eller just pounced on a mistake by Fleury. Eller's celebration, the Caps bench going crazy, and that one Caps fan in the stands coming down and banging on the glass are what make it memorable.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
''The Goal''

In terms of importance, propably Kuznetsov against the Penguins. Closely followed by Ovechkin in Game 7 against Tampa Bay. That goal was such a back-breaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad