Greatest Goal in Caps history

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
By far the cup winning goal, but that series changer against the Jackets is right up there for me. Off topic, but they should make an action figure of Holtby and that save in the Finals.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I have to draw a distinction between most excited and most amazed.

Most excited has to be the Eller cup clincher. As a 40 year fan who has had his heart ripped out time after time, I felt it was finally our time and all the anguish was about to be washed away.

Most amazed is OV "The goal". Who even thinks to try that in a game scenario. The goal itself was meaningless. 6th goal in a 6-1 win. However it was just some weird combination of "what made him think of trying that" and "how the f*** did he do that?"

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
One of my favorite goals remains R3G7 first goal vs Tampa. Willy helicopters Kunitz drop pass to Kuz to Ovi one timer goal early in first... that proved to be the game and series winning goal a minute in. So it didn't have the high drama as an OT, on the road etc but man oh man it KILLED that Tampa crowd.

Tampa was pretty much every bit the caps killer that Pitt was, especially factoring we had just beaten Pitt. We also all hate Pitt more so the losses stung worse. What other series clinching goals does Ovi have? Being Ovi adds bonus points, as does Kunitz getting nailed.

Bura had a pair of breakaways to ice it.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I will always be able to hear Doc Emrick saying Its Eller and the Capitals lead 4 to 3. But the greatest goal?
image.jpg

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
For me it has to be Juneau against Buffalo to go to the Capitals first stanley cup. Though I have to caveat my emotional hockey watching state pre and post that Montreal series. For Juneau it's seared into my brain jumping up and down in my parents TV room in the mean streets of Vienna, VA. SC winner would be second though it felt more like relief I would not die before the Capitals won the SC (apologies for the Saturday morbidz).

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
One of my favorite goals remains R3G7 first goal vs Tampa. Willy helicopters Kunitz drop pass to Kuz to Ovi one timer goal early in first... that proved to be the game winning goal a minute in. So it didn't have the high drama as an OT, on the road etc but man oh man it KILLED that Tampa crowd.

Tampa was pretty much every bit the caps killer that Pitt was, especially factoring we had just beaten Pitt. We also all hate Pitt more so the losses stung worse. What other series clinching goals does Ovi have? Being Ovi adds bonus points, as does Kunitz getting nailed.

Bura had a pair of breakaways to ice it.

It was such a contrast to when he didn’t convert the breakaway his 1st game 7 vs the Pens that it proved 2018 was different, those 2 games vs Tampa were the only time they faced elimination, every goal affected their odds so greatly and that probably had the greatest leverage.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2017
It was such a contrast to when he didn’t convert the breakaway his 1st game 7 vs the Pens that it proved 2018 was different
I love that wilson->kuznetsov->ovechkin goal because wilson could have absolutely put the tampa player into the afterlife, but being game 7 and tied he makes a more conservstive hit, turns the puck up the ice, makes a nice pass, and it’s in the net.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Kuzy's series clincher vs Pens was huge but after all these years when the Caps had lost so many playoff series while leading in them 3-1, 2-0 or 3-2, don't tell me that you knew for sure they gonna beat Vegas anyways with a 3-1 lead. Eller's goal is the greatest one without a doubt.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I have to draw a distinction between most excited and most amazed.

Most excited has to be the Eller cup clincher. As a 40 year fan who has had his heart ripped out time after time, I felt it was finally our time and all the anguish was about to be washed away.

Most amazed is OV "The goal". Who even thinks to try that in a game scenario. The goal itself was meaningless. 6th goal in a 6-1 win. However it was just some weird combination of "what made him think of trying that" and "how the f*** did he do that?"

Cadet Kirk, you’re not allowed to change the parameters of the Kobayashi Maru simulation.

“Greatest” goal in history please! ;)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kuzy's series clincher vs Pens was huge but after all these years when the Caps had lost so many playoff series while leading in them 3-1, 2-0 or 3-2, don't tell me that you knew for sure they gonna beat Vegas anyways with a 3-1 lead. Eller's goal is the greatest one without a doubt.

I left game 4 saying to my buddy, “we just saw the last home game of the year”. I felt good after that easy win honestly. You could see the “team of destiny” buff enabled for them.

For sure I was NOT sure we would win after Lars’ goal. Thought they would have something left in them to challenge us once more.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
For me it has to be Juneau against Buffalo to go to the Capitals first stanley cup. Though I have to caveat my emotional hockey watching state pre and post that Montreal series. For Juneau it's seared into my brain jumping up and down in my parents TV room in the mean streets of Vienna, VA. SC winner would be second though it felt more like relief I would not die before the Capitals won the SC (apologies for the Saturday morbidz).

So that 97-98 team had 4 future head coaches on it: Berube, Housley, Hunter, and Oates. Some more successful than others, perhaps, but pretty indicative of the team's overall hockey IQ

Reactions: calicapsfan

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
My top 5:
1. This will surprise you, but OV's playoff goal against the Rangers in 2009. Deked 2 defenders, scored from his knees -- even more beautiful than the Arizona goal IMO.
2. DSP's game tying goal vs Vegas GM5
3. OV's legendary goal vs Arizona
4. Lars Eller GWG vs Vegas GM5
5. Dale Hunter GWG vs Flyers in 1988 playoffs. I was in attendance at that game -- a 16 year old kid with a pretty embarassing mullet :P

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
For me, the Hunter goal for a franchise trying to break through, will always be legendary, but so many from last year have to be on the list. The other one I would at least give mention to for a top 25 list is Federov. I don't think I need to describe it to most who are reading this.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
For me, the Hunter goal for a franchise trying to break through, will always be legendary, but so many from last year have to be on the list. The other one I would at least give mention to for a top 25 list is Federov. I don't think I need to describe it to most who are reading this.

I scared my dog so much he ran into the bedroom and hid under the bed I was so happy and yelling so loudly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad