Great photos in hockey history you've just seen for the first time (Part III)

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Rangers score!View attachment 435794The Rangers we see are Walt Tkaczuk and Steve Vickers (8). The Bruins are Bobby Orr (4), Don Awrey (flopped), Phil Esposito and Jacques Plante.
That is truly a photo I've never seen before. I've never seen Orr, Espo and Plante as Bruins at the same time. Especially an in-game action shot. Spectacular.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Terry RuskowskiView attachment 432393Terrific playmaking center/centre who - despite being not very big (5' 10" 176 pounds) - usually came away from board meetings and scrums in front of the net with the puck. Only once missed the 100-PM mark in a full season - twice hit the 200-PM mark.
Should have been a protected Jet when Winnipeg entered the NHL.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The Seals logo isn't from the 70s, of course, being from 1967.
The two trends I identify with the late 60s and 70s are:
1. Extreme minimalism, as in the Canucks, Flyers or Flames. (See also, the Sharks, Nationals, Stags and Blades in the WHA, and to a different extent the North Stars and Nordiques). The Flyers obviously did that best as far as coming up with an identifiable mark that was suitable for the various things a sports logo is used for, but I don't think the Canucks did it too badly. I wouldn't miss it if it was gone, and I think the biggest thing it has going for it is that the team never did manage to stick the landing on anything better. Great logo approach if you can nail it, it's not always easy.
2. Stuff in a circle. Hate it. I don't understand why anyone likes the logos originally used by the Islanders, Scouts or Jets, and the Sabres logo is just OK (at least there's some design harmony in the way the animal is placed between the crossed swords. The Penguins logo is much better without the circle, and the Sabres could probably look better without it too (a company called Celsius did a concept in the mid aughts with a front-facing bison head above crossed swords and no circle - the illustration was typical overworked 90s stuff, but the concept was on point.) There's nothing quite like the very first Jets logo, which is apparently a defenseman getting turnstiled by a plane, Mario/Bourque-style.

The original Seals logo is an absolute car crash that manages to combine the worst aspects of minimalism (it barely looks like a seal at all) and stuff-in-a-circle (the elements have no harmony whatsoever, and if you just glanced at the logo at a distance it'd look like nothing other than a dull green circle with some white bits on it)
...and yet, they all have their charm.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I agree....wonderful picture. I'm thinking it could be from the '73 playoffs.
Jacques played two games with Boston in the '73 playoffs (losing them both), although he went 7-1 in eight regular season games that year. The Rangers kicked the Bruins 4-1 in the quarter finals.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Remember the NHL's first expansion? After the 1967-68 season, the two divisions had their own all star teams. Here we see the West Division's representatives in 1970. Any familiar faces?
4356344513_17458a95dc_b.jpg
My hat's off to anyone who can correctly name everyone seen in this photo.

Reactions: SealsFan

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Remember the NHL's first expansion? After the 1967-68 season, the two divisions had their own all star teams. Here we see the West Division's representatives in 1970. Any familiar faces? My hat's off to anyone who can correctly name everyone seen in this photo.
Here are the names I think I recognize: top row (L - R): Gary Sabourin, Bobby Clarke, Danny O'Shea(?), Claude Larose, Bill White and Dean Prentice
middle row: Danny Grant, Carol Vadnais, Harry Howell, Jim Roberts, J.P. Parise, ? and ?
bottom row: Bill Goldsworthy, Bob Woytowich, Jacques Plante, Scotty Bowman, Bernard Parent, Barclay Plager and Red Berenson

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
December 5, 1980. Inside the Westbury Hotel in Toronto.View attachment 435846The day before the game December 6 at Maple Leaf Gardens, the Nordiques arrive. Here we see Jamie Hislop, Peter Stastny and his brother Anton - a trio often seen together on the ice.

Looks as if some editor marked this with a grease pencil, suggesting that the layout guy crop the head and shoulders of the middle man for a mug shot.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Marty Pavelich
0667dd121ffb5e3628aa47f0b7d8f124.jpg
Played ten seasons in the NHL - all of that time with the Detroit Red Wings (1947-48 to 1956-57). During that period, the Wings finished first in the regular season seven straight seasons, reached the Stanley Cup Final seven times, and hoisted the Cup four times.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Bill Quackenbush (older brother of Max)
unnamed (21).png
Played 14 seasons in the NHL - 7 with Detroit, 7 with Boston. Bill was an All Star defenseman who was noted for the clean game he played (winning the Lady Byng Trophy once, and being in contention for it other seasons). Four times he made it to the Stanley Cup Final (three times with the Wings) but was never able to hoist the Cup.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Happy to be in Cleveland?
Jeff.Allan_.Cleveland.Barons.jpg
Jeff Allan spent his entire NHL career (4 games) with the Barons. In 1977-78, Cleveland was just one of the five stops Allan made. Besides his four games with the Barons, he spent two games with the Cincinnati Stingers of the WHA, six games with the Phoenix Roadrunners of the CHL, eight games with the Hampton Gulls of the AHL, and 42 games with the Toledo Goaldiggers of the IHL. Jeff also appeared in 17 playoff games with the Goaldiggers, and hoisted the Turner Cup as a member of the IHL's champions.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
84895.jpg
Following the 1970-71 season, the Seals traded Dennis Hextall - who had led the team in points and penalty minutes - to the Minnesota North Stars for Joey Johnston and Walt McKechnie. Johnston had 15 goals and 32 points in 1971-72, and McKechnie had 11 goals and 31 points. The loss of forwards like Gerry Pinder, Bobby Sheehan and Wayne Carlton to the WHA meant lots of top-six minutes for Joey and Walt in 1972-73, resulting in Johnston leading the Seals with 28 goals and McKechnie leading the team with 54 points. In 1973-74 - as we see above - Johnston led the Seals in goals, assists and points. McKechnie had 23 goals and 52 points (third on the team).

Reactions: SealsFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad