Great NHL Players who we're not so good with the Habs?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Well in the same trade, you could say that while he was good with us, Éric Desjardins became MUCH better with the Flyers. And while some of them were no stars, guys that flourished more elsewhere than here, you rather have to go back in time....Langway was good for us...but became more complete and will always be remembered as a Caps. Andrew Cassels exploded in Hartford. Tomas Vokoun became a #1 goalie, Francois Beauchemin became a real solid d-man, Ribeiro became more consistent elsewhere, Grabovski had much better seasons in Toronto and that's about it.

Well both Desjardins and Schneider were still young when we traded them. Desjardins and Schneider were 25 when we traded them. I mean that's Reilly's and Peca's age and people hope Reilly and Peca will blossom into dominant players despite their lackluster NHL presence so far. Both Desjardins and Schnerider were miles better than them at the same age. It's not rare for a dman to still not be in his prime in the middle of his 20ies. Considering how there were both already very good it's not a big surprise to see the career they both had.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Karl was always that guy that the caps waited on to become great but unfortunately never materialised, Bergevin was obsessed with Youtube videos of team Canada and the rest is history.

I really don't know what games people watch sometime. I watched pretty much 100% of caps games in playoffs since Ovy is there and Alzner was definitely (along with Laich and others i probably forgot) one of their weakest links in the top 6/top 4. The guy never was a strong top 4 in my book. In his prime he could play there but it definitely in my book was a hole in the lineup. I never saw what some people see in Alzner. He's slow. His shot is weak. He's not using his body much. Give me the choice between prime Emelin at 4.1 millions (the one who hit everything) and prime Alzner at 4.7 millions and i wont hesitate to take Emelin.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I really don't know what games people watch sometime. I watched pretty much 100% of caps games in playoffs since Ovy is there and Alzner was definitely (along with Laich and others i probably forgot) one of their weakest links in the top 6/top 4. The guy never was a strong top 4 in my book. In his prime he could play there but it definitely in my book was a hole in the lineup. I never saw what some people see in Alzner. He's slow. His shot is weak. He's not using his body much. Give me the choice between prime Emelin at 4.1 millions (the one who hit everything) and prime Alzner at 4.7 millions and i wont hesitate to take Emelin.
Alzner was never good with the puck, he always was seen as potentially great defensively but was just not able to put it all together.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
When I saw that Trevor Linden parted ways with the Canucks it reminded me that he was once a Hab.

Linden kinda replaced Recchi, but Trevor never had an impact with the Habs although the team was so bad during his 2 years.

Some of you may suggest LeClair but to be honnest, LeClair was young and I don't think he ever scores 50 goals with the Habs.

I'm curious to see other names to that list.
Craig Conroy, Sean Hill, Ron Hainsey are young players that come to mind that were traded too early.

Sergachev and Galchenyuk should be next.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

My grandmother could be a better pro scout than the fools who suggest the likes of hemsky alzner or streit lmao

N8r

Jul 29, 2018
Daniel Briere but i guess he did help the habs beat the bears in the playoffs

Lars Eller was never really great but he did just score the gwg to clinch the Cup for the Caps

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
Why did I click on this thread? Reading about Schneider and Desjardins and now I'm thinking back on how badly this team was gutted from late 95 thru the end of 96. Off the top of my head the following players were shipped out over this time period Roy, Desjardins, Schneider, Odelein, Leclair, Muller, and Keane

The only quality I can think of coming in is Malakhov, Recchi and Turgeon (who was also trading away in the same time frame)

Of note the only players listed above that had their best years in Montreal would be Keane and Odelein who are also the two worst players. Debatable with regards to Muller and Malakhov. Roy was generally great his whole career. Desjardins, Schneider, Leclair, Recchi and Turgeon all performed better elsewhere.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Radek Bonk used to kill us a sens , was pretty average as a habs

cujo1117

Mar 30, 2018
i was so thrilled when we got samsonov as a UFA.... all the dangles that didnt amount to anything....damm did he suck bad with us

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
It really does feel like the Habs have had far more than their fair share of disappointments and I struggle to think of any jewels once they got here other than role players that we pick up for scraps and turn into decent 3rd/4th liners or lower pair d-men.

It's felt that way ever since the last cup.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Surprised no one mentioned Vanek. NYI paid a steep price for his services only to flip him to us for a forgettable prospect at trade deadline. Had a good end of regular season but ended up in the doghouse during playoffs.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Vladimir Malahkov? He was terrible as a Hab. Can't remember how much better he was before he was acquired.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Vladimir Malahkov? He was terrible as a Hab. Can't remember how much better he was before he was acquired.
Terrible ???? He was not that bad . I think he was the best player on the ice when he wanted to play . Problem is that he didn't want every games

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Terrible ???? He was not that bad . I think he was the best player on the ice when he wanted to play . Problem is that he didn't want every games

He showed flashes but he appeared too lazy most of the time and it was frustrating to watch a player with so much in the way of tools, squander them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad