Great NHL Players who we're not so good with the Habs?

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
When I saw that Trevor Linden parted ways with the Canucks it reminded me that he was once a Hab.

Linden kinda replaced Recchi, but Trevor never had an impact with the Habs although the team was so bad during his 2 years.

Some of you may suggest LeClair but to be honnest, LeClair was young and I don't think he ever scores 50 goals with the Habs.

I'm curious to see other names to that list.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Recently :

Daniel Brière, Donald Audette, Doug Gilmour, Alexander Semin, Scott Gomez

HM : Alex Tanguay and Ales Hemsky

Reactions: Gains

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Recently :

I'd disagree about Gilmour. Sure he didn't post 1993 Gilmour numbers with us but the guy was 37 years old. He was a key for us beating the Bruins in 2002. Him and Zednik absolutly lite up the Bruins in the first 3 games 1/2.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
I'd disagree about Gilmour. Sure he didn't post 1993 Gilmour numbers with us but the guy was 37 years old. He was a key for us beating the Bruins in 2002. Him and Zednik absolutly lite up the Bruins in the first 3 games 1/2.

He was washed up and definitely not the player he used to be.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
I always thought the Linden trade was fine. Remember this team could not pick any good first rounders. Linden was better than what we would of drafted.

Reactions: DAChampion

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He was washed up and definitely not the player he used to be.

He came in late after a tough season in Buffalo.

He started slow, but then he stood up for Theodore, kneed Varada in the face and went 37 in 48 to end the year, with Petrov and Zednik.

He was a beast for us in that second half. Almost went ppg in the playoffs too. A playmaking Gallagher at center.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Recently :

yeah, the saddest part about it is that outside of Kovalev (Koivu, maybe patches were close, but definitely a step below), we haven't had one player on the habs in the past 20 years who was as good/effective offensively as any of those guys listed were in their primes...

it's really incredibly that Kovalev, Koivu, Patches, Galch, Zednik is basically the creme-de-la-creme of offensive contributors the habs have had since the early 90's.

Reactions: Pickles

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Yeah, gilmour and koivu led the Habs in playoff points that year, I believe.

Not bad for an emergency signing.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
yeah, the saddest part about it is that outside of Kovalev (Koivu, maybe patches were close, but definitely a step below), we haven't had one player on the habs in the past 20 years who was as good/effective offensively as any of those guys listed were in their primes...

it's really incredibly that Kovalev, Koivu, Patches, Galch, Zednik is basically the creme-de-la-creme of offensive contributors the habs have had since the early 90's.

I loved Zednik and Galchenyuk too, but they don't belong on the list of greatest offensive contributors since the early 90's. Zednik topped out at 50 points and Galchenyuk at 56. Meanwhile, you're leaving out some great players from the list. What about Damphousse, Recchi, Muller, Bellows, Turgeon? Plekanec had multiple seasons better than anything Galchenyuk or Zednik ever did. Even Gomez and Desharnais had seasons where they produced more.

Reactions: voyageur

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
I had high hopes for Samsonov, but he was clearly done. I wouldn't say he was a great player but certainly not the player we saw. Semin was a question mark for me, he hadn't been a dominant force before he joined the Habs, I was thinking maybe a change of scenery but that wasnt the case.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I loved Zednik and Galchenyuk too, but they don't belong on the list of greatest offensive contributors since the early 90's. Zednik topped out at 50 points and Galchenyuk at 56. Meanwhile, you're leaving out some great players from the list. What about Damphousse, Recchi, Muller, Bellows, Turgeon? Plekanec had multiple seasons better than anything Galchenyuk or Zednik ever did. Even Gomez and Desharnais had seasons where they produced more.

I said 20 years...

Recchi, damphousse, Bellows, Turgeon were all prior to that (recchi/Vinnie's last season was exactly 20 years ago & were underwhelming offensively at the time).

Galch & Zednik had 30 goal seasons, which I consider more impactful offensively than what Gomez/DD did for us, but sure, add Gomez, DD and Ribeiro to the list.... Doesn't change the point I was making at all, if anything it only further supports it.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
He was at the end of his career, so it's less of a shocker, but Randy McKay was brought in with a lot of fanfare and... meh

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I always liked Sergei Gonchar and I was glad we got him even if he was done by the time we traded for him.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I always liked Sergei Gonchar and I was glad we got him even if he was done by the time we traded for him.
Considering we traded Moen for him, my expectations weren't high. Disappointing we didn't hire him as a D coach. He's done some good work for PIT and he helped Beaulieu here.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Recently :

I mean Tanguay had 42 points in 52 games. He was never an elite player just a solid scorer.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
I mean Tanguay had 42 points in 52 games. He was never an elite player just a solid scorer.

Yeah that's why I put him as an HM. Not because he actually sucked but because of the context, especially the playoffs and him being let go right away. You'd hope for more when you trade a first round pick. Very disappointing

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
He came in late after a tough season in Buffalo.

He started slow, but then he stood up for Theodore, kneed Varada in the face and went 37 in 48 to end the year, with Petrov and Zednik.

He was a beast for us in that second half. Almost went ppg in the playoffs too. A playmaking Gallagher at center.
So nothing like Gallagher, got it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->