Great NHL Players who we're not so good with the Habs?

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I’m not sure Savard was really injured in the final so much as displaced.

While not a great player, I can’t think of many decent players who were as thoroughly and immediately disappointing as Perry Turnbull. He was brought in to score goals and didn’t. He wasn’t old, and at least he was dispatched quickly.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Samsonov was a big one for me. He was a really good, solid player and I was so glad we stole him from the Bruins. The rivalry was so good back then and Bruins fans were so pissed we got him.

He was a total dud. I hadn't been that disappointed in a long time.

Reactions: Pickles and the

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I’m not sure Savard was really injured in the final so much as displaced.

While not a great player, I can’t think of many decent players who were as thoroughly and immediately disappointing as Perry Turnbull. He was brought in to score goals and didn’t. He wasn’t old, and at least he was dispatched quickly.
Savard took a puck off his skate in the third round and broke a bone. After playing on it in the first game of the finals his foot swelled up and he couldn't put his skate on. He had to sit out the next 3 games waiting for the swelling to abate and while he could have played in the 5th game he knew that the team was going to win and let Donald Dufresne take his spot instead so that Dufresne could get his name on the Cup.

Reactions: Pickles

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Savard took a puck off his skate in the third round and broke a bone. After playing on it in the first game of the finals his foot swelled up and he couldn't put his skate on. He had to sit out the next 3 games waiting for the swelling to abate and while he could have played in the 5th game he knew that the team was going to win and let Donald Dufresne take his spot instead so that Dufresne could get his name on the Cup.

Dufresne took Haller’s spot, that was Demers’ decision.

Flockhart was another terrible one. That was a dark era, hoping players clicked. Then the 1986 team was full of young homegrown depth guys.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Pretty much everyone in here named has either retired after playing here, or continued to not be the best.

Tanguay was pretty good here. 41 pts in 50 games then 37 in 8p with Tampa before shooting back up in Calgary

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Samsonov was a big one for me. He was a really good, solid player and I was so glad we stole him from the Bruins. The rivalry was so good back then and Bruins fans were so pissed we got him.

He was a total dud. I hadn't been that disappointed in a long time.
Yeah, he tied a game against Nashville I think we came back in and won in the SO. Other than that I don't remember a single thing he did other than look like a leprechaun in disguise.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Yeah, he tied a game against Nashville I think we came back in and won in the SO. Other than that I don't remember a single thing he did other than look like a leprechaun in disguise.

Yes I think I remember that game, he had 2 goals or something. That was the best he played while he was here.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
The worst two guys I can think of if we compare to what they brought to their teams before coming here and what they ended up playing like with the Habs are Scott Gomez and Thomas Kaberle

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Dufresne took Haller’s spot, that was Demers’ decision.

Flockhart was another terrible one. That was a dark era, hoping players clicked. Then the 1986 team was full of young homegrown depth guys.
Of course technically Dufresne took Haller's spot because they are both defensemen. But Savard wanted to ensure that Dufresne was able to meet the criteria to get his name on the Cup and was willing to be scratched in order to make room for him and he approached Demers about it prior to Game 5.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
The "Version 2.0" players who played for the Habs in two separate stints usually sucked the second time around.

Corson 2.0
Richer 2.0
Quintal 2.0
Brisebois (both versions sucked but his #71 days were even worse than his #43 days if you can believe it)
Schneider 2.0
Streit 2.0

Or for that matter...

Therrien 2.0
Julien 2.0

Reactions: Pickles

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
I always thought the Linden trade was fine. Remember this team could not pick any good first rounders. Linden was better than what we would of drafted.

Given the context of the time it was a terrible trade. Houle had refused to meet Damphousse's contract demands, which if I'm remembering correct were 3 yrs. for $10m, So Vinnie was moved to SJ for draft picks. Then in the offseason Houle traded for Linden and signed him to a contract @ 3m/yr., basically the same price that Damphousse had been asking. It made zero sense.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Given the context of the time it was a terrible trade. Houle had refused to meet Damphousse's contract demands, which if I'm remembering correct were 3 yrs. for $10m, So Vinnie was moved to SJ for draft picks. Then in the offseason Houle traded for Linden and signed him to a contract @ 3m/yr., basically the same price that Damphousse had been asking. It made zero sense.
I think Linden was getting paid in Canadian dollars. At least he was when he was on the Canucks the first time. And there was also something about the fact that Linden was the head of the NHLPA at the time of the trade. I think he was sent there as a favor to the Habs so that they could appear to be able to acquire decent players.

Reactions: cphabs

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Of course technically Dufresne took Haller's spot because they are both defensemen. But Savard wanted to ensure that Dufresne was able to meet the criteria to get his name on the Cup and was willing to be scratched in order to make room for him and he approached Demers about it prior to Game 5.

So you are saying Savard would have taken Haller’s spot and the team played with 5 D? I find that highly unlikely. I don’t see how Savard figures into a Haller/Dufresne swap.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not great players by any means but goons seems to find their way to finish their career lacklusterly in Montreal.

Gino Odjick
Mick Vukota
Darren Langdon
Georges Laraque
George Parros

I was in Anaheim the game Parros made his return against his former team and was amazed at how much their fanbase loved him. You’d think he scored over 1000 points with the tribute he got. Last of the enforcers.

Basszor

Sep 29, 2008
Montreal
Yes I think I remember that game, he had 2 goals or something. That was the best he played while he was here.
He was also like 27/28 and had a pretty good playoffs run with the oilers. I was thrilled since i thought he was young enough to be good for a while with us and the dream of having him with kovalev.... but oh well

now this is all can remember about him..

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Turgeon was pretty good for us, but he wasn't the version I wanted.

Frankc

Jan 9, 2005
Montreal
The "Version 2.0" players who played for the Habs in two separate stints usually sucked the second time around.

Corson 2.0
Richer 2.0
Quintal 2.0
Brisebois (both versions sucked but his #71 days were even worse than his #43 days if you can believe it)
Schneider 2.0
Streit 2.0

Or for that matter...

Therrien 2.0
Julien 2.0

I agree with most of your list except Schneider. He did good for the short time he was with us, his first pass was good and he helped a lot the PP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Ultimately the trade was (3 teams trade)

Damphousse + 10th overall pick
For
Linden + 16th overall + 53rd overall + 145th overall

Linden signed 15 millions for 4 years with Montreal (3.75 millions a year). Can't find the exact contract Damphousse signed with SJ but his salary the following seasons according to cap friendly was 3, 4, 5.75, 5,75 and 4 for an average of 4.5 so not much more than Linden.

That was a pretty awful string of moves. Not only was Damphousse better than Linden we also gave a better 1st round pick in the process. The point of trading Damphousse was to get picks and rebuild not to trade a better pick for an inferior player right after.

Kind of the same as Shaw versus Eller. We gave better picks and did not improve at all. Considering centers are supposed to be more valuable (they are) we arguably already lost in value by just swapping Eller for Shaw and then we lost again by giving better picks in the process.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Frankc

Jan 9, 2005
Montreal
I'm surprised no one mentionned Radek Bonk yet! The guy was producing well with Ottawa before playing with the Habs after the lockout. I Guess the new NHL post lockout did bad on his career

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

Corson 2.0
Richer 2.0
Quintal 2.0
Schneider 2.0
Streit 2.0

Or for that matter...

Therrien 2.0
Julien 2.0

Nilan got a victory lap as well.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
He was also like 27/28 and had a pretty good playoffs run with the oilers. I was thrilled since i thought he was young enough to be good for a while with us and the dream of having him with kovalev.... but oh well

now this is all can remember about him..

Watch that first goal in the video you posted.

It was a nice play, no?

Problem with the Habs is that I wouldn't be surprised if he got screamed at and benched after that goal. The Habs organization hates it when players make plays like this. They scornfully call it "de la dentelle." Offensive creativity must be killed.

Reactions: Basszor

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2