Graph: Matthews PPG as the season goes on & he plays consecutive games

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Nobody has ever stated that Nylander didn’t get a boost by playing alongside Matthews: skilled players improve each other’s game.

In other news: water is wet and grass is green.

And when you look at the bigger picture, it's actually the increased ice-time and usage that helped Nylander's production. Which he'll get by virtue of being in the top-6 on Matthews' line. You know, kinda the usage that Nylander-level talents typically receive.

Once again: water is wet, grass is green.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not making any numbers up, I just took his average for his longer streak, and added a little to it.

As you can see from the graph (+ the other average stats I have posted in this thread), Matthews significantly cools down when he plays consecutive games without long rests.

That is why his PPG this season would NOT be his current PPG average for the season, if he would've played the entire season. He has a higher PPG average due to having extra rest in the middle of the season, and thus having 2 hot, rested game streak starts instead of just 1.

In approximating his "whole season points" there is absolutely zero reason to assume that he would have deviated from his usual pattern of having much lower PPG averages after the 1st 5-10 games.
Again had he played all games he likely isn't playing hurt. He has shoulder issues though so I'm guessing he is also playing through pain sonwithout that his PPG is higher. It works both ways. But keep spinning stats.

He's also an elite goal scorer. But funny at the lengths people go to try to bring AM down :laugh: This is a new low though. Let's just enjoy our elite goal scorer.

Last edited:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
This is the year if they want to win the Cup. Next year the cap hell will propbably be too much with 3 contracts over 10 million. If they want to win it all, they should rest him for 2 weeks just before Cup Finals ":D"

Maybe they will come up with some "injury" for him? Like they did with Lupul etc? Like Detroit just did with Green+Larkin for their tank mode?
With Lupul? He was always hurt. They also won't be losing anyone and are not in cap hell. They will be losing Marleau after next season and who are they losing that make them substantially worse?

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
This is interesting, but in no way enough to draw conclusions from. Numbers always normalize with a growing sample size. No statistician would treat data like you do here.

If we want Matthews to produce like one of the best players in the league, we need to give him the PP time to match them. So far this season, most of the top players have played 250+ PP minutes. Matthews has 130. It's over a full minute more on the PP per game, which in Matthews' case would be about 7-8 points more, for a 1.28 ppg and a 105 point pace. Which would be top 10, even when not taking anything else into account. And that's while looking at the stats in the middle of his slump.

Check out the other stats I posted today.

It is not about his stats "normalizing" or his ppg-average regressing to some mean, his production just clearly goes down after a few consecutive games.

Matthews isn't getting more powerplay time, because he isn't as good on the powerplay as he is 5v5.

Toronto GAR stats.png

He is 2nd in the league in Even Strength Goals in his career, but 33th in PowerPlayGoals during the same time. He has less than half the ppg:s of Ovechkin in that time, and even Laine has ~80% more.

The reason for that is quite obvious. He takes so few slap shots & one-timers, that is has become a meme that he never takes a slapshot. For the shorthanded team, it is quite easy to prepare for his shot if you know what is coming.

The Leafs powerplay has also been thoroughly scouted by the opposition, a blind cat can see what's coming in their pp-systems. They are 3rd in goals overall, but 14th in powerplaygoals, and 8th in pp% for the whole season. But that doesn't draw the whole picture, as the powerplay was ok in the beginning of the season (because the system wasn't completely obvious to everyone at first), but after Dec 22 they are 14th in pp%, at 19,5%, pretty much even with the Senators.

One of the reasons for the Leafs powerplay being sniffed out by the entire league is the fact that they don't have a shooter who shoots onetimers all the time like Ovechkin / Laine / Stamkos etc. Their system is not diverse / versatile enough, they try to take too many slow-release wristers, and it's wayyy too easy to defend that.

If Matthews would be better at onetimers / slappers, he would get more pp-time, and the Leafs powerplay would be better.

Btw, the problem isn't that Matthews "isn't getting enough PP time", he leads the Leafs in powerplay time since coming back from the injury:

toronto pp toi.png

The real problem is that Matthews is not very productive after the fatigue sets in, the Leafs pp stats since Dec 22:
tor pp stats since dec 22.png

Matthews' PP-points per minute of powerplay is 0,0634 since Dec 22.

With that rate, he is nowhere close to the top of the league. Kucherov has 0,1683 ppp/min and McDavid 0,1148 ppp/min for the whole year.

Matthews' powerplay points per minute of power play is pretty much dead even with Elias Lindholm for the whole season, and it's going down with the rest of his stats as he gets tired.

Last edited:

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Tonight he went pointless and was a -1, just as you might predict from the graph / stats. He was also tied for the Leafs lead in PP TOI in this game, so it wasn't even about getting enough time on the man advantage.

Now the updated stats / graph for Matthews' career are:

PPG average
1st 5 games of each game streak (35games)1,5143
Games #6 - #88 of each streak (176 games)0,8295
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Auston Matthews PPG graph in every game streak.png

His ppg-average in his current game streak is now 1,023

Within his current game streak since Nov 28th:

1st 10 games17 points 1.7 ppg +12
The next 33 games 27 points 0.8181 ppg-12
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Matthews isn't getting more powerplay time, because he isn't as good on the powerplay as he is 5v5.
Matthews is one of the top 10 PP players in the league. The very reason he's not at the top in the raw stat is because the players you compare him to get twice as much ice time on the PP as he has. By any metric that takes that into account, he's a top end PP player. Unless you purposefully ignore most of the last three years to get a small enough sample to "prove" your point, I guess.

Why are you showing a GAR table for the Colorado Avalanche while arguing about Matthews?

And yes, if you remove the good parts of a sample size, the rest tend to not look as good. If you presented this case in a statistics class, they'd throw out the paper and tell you to go home and educate yourself.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Matthews' season will be judged how he does in the playoffs.

His lackluster effort this year is to learn to play with less intensity during the regular season but hopefully he brings his full effort during the playoffs.

Not sure how this plays out.

Babcock: put Nylander with Matthews.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Matthews' season will be judged how he does in the playoffs.

I'm concerned his lackluster effort this year is to learn to play with less intensity during the regular season but he brings his full effort during the playoffs.

Not sure how this plays out.

Babcock: put Nylander with Matthews.

That’s dangerous for Babcock.
Although, If hes going to do it, he’d better do it now. Literally no chance they miss the playoffs so it’d be a good time to let them play together for a minimun of 5 games to judge their desire to defend.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Well, i think Tavares can handle Boston's top line so the series depends on Matthew's plus minus in the playoffs.

which is struggling.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Well, Kapanen did go from a 10 point NHLer to a 50ish point guy by getting icetime alongside Matthews...

You sure that isn't just because his ATOI went up and the quality of his linemates improved from what? Boyle and Martin for the 1st stint and then what was it last year in the playoffs? Probably bad. Seems like a dude that just needed an opportunity and wasn't getting it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You sure that isn't just because his ATOI went up and the quality of his linemates improved from what? Boyle and Martin for the 1st stint and then what was it last year in the playoffs? Probably bad. Seems like a dude that just needed an opportunity and wasn't getting it.

Those things definitely matter, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his breakout happened beside Matthews

When Nylander and Marner were on the 4th line at various times the last two seasons they produced at much better rates than Kapanen did when he was down there

LEBOOM

Mar 10, 2019
Really speaks to how talented Matthews is when the Leafs 2nd and 3rd best players play together all season long and yet have a lower ppg than Matthews who has played with Marleau (LOL), Brown (LOL), Johnsson and Kappy. Latter 2 are decent but lets not get it twisted, they are decent complementary players getting the luxury of playing with Matthews, and are nowhere near Marner or Nylander in terms of skill or potential.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Its a fair point. He always seems to start the year on fire, cool off, get injured, and then return on fire. I think instead of all this back and forth about rest and density of schedule he just has to figure out how to maintain peak performance over an 82 game schedule. Or is that an unreasonable ask for a professional athlete making 11+ million/year? :help:

LEBOOM

Mar 10, 2019
Opportunity and getting to play with a franchise center are 2 very different things.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Also agree with some that he should be playing with Nylander. Kappy and Jonny are great but he could use an elite playmaker. Move kapanen back with Kadri and Marleau, put Nylander with Matthews and Johnsson. That's the obvious fit but Babcock's gonna Babcock so he'll probably wait till the team is slumping before trying anything creative

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Those things definitely matter, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his breakout happened beside Matthews

When Nylander and Marner were on the 4th line at various times the last two seasons they produced at much better rates than Kapanen did when he was down there

I think Marner is significantly better then Kappy though. Nylander has a lot more natural talent but probably less grit and 2-way game.

LEBOOM

Mar 10, 2019
I think Marner is significantly better then Kappy though. Nylander has a lot more natural talent but probably less grit and 2-way game.
Nylander is a far better two-way player than Kappy lmao. Leaf fans fall in love with complementary players and trash the actual star potential ones.

Reactions: Mats13

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
PP/TOI per game: MacKinnon and Rantanen are 2nd and 3rd in the league.

Matthews? 150th.

Please don't post garbage comparing players who play nearly twice as much on the PP.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Matthews is one of the top 10 PP players in the league. The very reason he's not at the top in the raw stat is because the players you compare him to get twice as much ice time on the PP as he has. By any metric that takes that into account, he's a top end PP player. Unless you purposefully ignore most of the last three years to get a small enough sample to "prove" your point, I guess.

Where on earth do you get this idea of Matthews as a top10 PP player in the league?

2016-2019, he is 59th in the league in PP GF/60 (min 300 minutes)
Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

His better season by far was 2017-18. Among top 200 PP -scorers, Matthews was 61 th in points / 60 minutes of powerplay in 2017-18. Just ahead of Teravainen. (Matthews himself was 142nd in PP points that season, that's why the cutoff of 200)

I don't know what your definition of "elite" or "top 10" is, but I really can't see more than 60 "elite" powerplay-players in the league. And I really can't see Teravainen as an elite power play player.

I have tried to search, and I have been completely unable to find Matthews in ANY top10 of ANY powerplay scoring stat per minute of powerplay, in any season, or in any combination of seasons. Can you please show us a stat that shows Matthews among Top 10 PP point scorers per minute?

Matthews is 3th in the league in Even Strength goals 2016-19. So he is clearly "top 10" in that. But he is as clearly not an elite player on the powerplay.

The same goes for McDavid: he is the best player in the league 5v5 (almost every stat backs it up), but not the best in the league in powerplay.

Why are you showing a GAR table for the Colorado Avalanche while arguing about Matthews?

It was obviously just a mistake. I edited it, it'r correct now. Here's the graph:

Toronto GAR stats.png

As you can see, Matthews is not as good on the powerplay as he is 5v5. The same goes for every season: Matthews is not even the best leaf on the PP in any of his seasons. He does not lead the Leafs in PP points or in PP GAR in any season.

And yes, if you remove the good parts of a sample size, the rest tend to not look as good. If you presented this case in a statistics class, they'd throw out the paper and tell you to go home and educate yourself.

I haven't removed "the good parts", and I haven't done any cherrypicking. I have just noticed a clear trend and proved it quite thoroughly.

Can you please tell me what is the specific reason (with links to statistics pages etc) why this would not fly in a stats class? What exactly is the error that you claim that I am making?

I'm getting the feeling you have exactly zero knowledge in the field, and you are just cooking up these allegations because you have zero stats that back up your fantasy of Matthews as an elite player worth his salary.

Reactions: socko and 666
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad