Rumor: Granlund to CBJ

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Not sure I like this fit.

I don't see him thriving under Tortorella.

Also Granlund's best hockey came as a RW and I don't see him bumping Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, or Jenner out of a spot. I wouldn't employ Granlund to play him in my bottom 6 if I was a GM. I think his best opportunity to thrive would be as a 2nd line RW.
Jenner can't play LW?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Jenner can't play LW?

I know he can, but again with Texier, Nyquist, Foligno as the top 3 LW I think they all fit properly in their spots

Granlund creates overcrowding IMO, and again I don't see him thriving on a 3rd line with one of Koivu or Grigorenko as his C under Tortorella

I could be wrong but to me that just isn't a good scenario for player or team

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Not sure I like this fit.

I don't see him thriving under Tortorella.

Also Granlund's best hockey came as a RW and I don't see him bumping Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, or Jenner out of a spot. I wouldn't employ Granlund to play him in my bottom 6 if I was a GM. I think his best opportunity to thrive would be as a 2nd line RW.

Granlund can absolutely bump Jenner down. Jenner had 24p last year and maxed 49p in his career. He has an avg of <35p. Granlund in his worst yearlast year is 30p in 63gp. He is 28 and average points are 50+. He is hands down a better player than Jenner

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Granlund can absolutely bump Jenner down. Jenner had 24p last year and maxed 49p in his career. He has an avg of <35p. Granlund in his worst yearlast year is 30p in 63gp. He is 28 and average points are 50+. He is hands down a better player than Jenner
I'm not arguing if Granlund in a vacuum is better than Jenner (or another depth CBJ winger) in a vacuum, what I'm saying is: on a John Tortorella coached team, with one of Koivu/ Grigorenko as his C, and likely Foligno(?) as his other W, I don't see Granlund succeeding in that role.

It isn't personal to CBJ or their coach/ players, I don't see Granlund succeeding on any team's bottom 6. He brings a specific skillset that is more suited to playing with higher end offensive players. He is actually pretty elite at distributing the puck based on his best seasons in Minnesota, but again he played under Gabby there and was with Staal and Parise on their 1st line.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I know he can, but again with Texier, Nyquist, Foligno as the top 3 LW I think they all fit properly in their spots

Granlund creates overcrowding IMO, and again I don't see him thriving on a 3rd line with one of Koivu or Grigorenko as his C under Tortorella

I could be wrong but to me that just isn't a good scenario for player or team
I don't know how Torts uses his lines, but the age of 4th liners playing 7 minutes per game are definitely over.

Nyquist-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Texier-Domi-Atkinson
Haula-Koivu-Granlund (Zucker-Koivu-Granlund was a top5 line in the league. I think this line was used when Zucker went down with injury.)
Jenner-Grigorenko-Nash

How's that?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I'm not arguing if Granlund in a vacuum is better than Jenner (or another depth CBJ winger) in a vacuum, what I'm saying is: on a John Tortorella coached team, with one of Koivu/ Grigorenko as his C, and likely Foligno(?) as his other W, I don't see Granlund succeeding in that role.

It isn't personal to CBJ or their coach/ players, I don't see Granlund succeeding on any team's bottom 6. He brings a specific skillset that is more suited to playing with higher end offensive players. He is actually pretty elite at distributing the puck based on his best seasons in Minnesota, but again he played under Gabby there and was with Staal and Parise on their 1st line.

Whoever-Koivu-Granlund would be a fantastic 3rd line on any team. Koivu-Granlund pairing was the best on Minnesota

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I don't know how Torts uses his lines, but the age of 4th liners playing 7 minutes per game are definitely over.

Nyquist-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Texier-Domi-Atkinson
Haula-Koivu-Granlund (Zucker-Koivu-Granlund was a top5 line in the league. I think this line was used when Zucker went down with injury.)
Jenner-Grigorenko-Nash

How's that?
Well considering you still have Granlund being centered by Koivu on the 3rd line....

I guess I will say agree to disagree and we can wait and see if he does sign in Columbus and how it all shakes out

Also where did the captain go?

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Well considering you still have Granlund being centered by Koivu on the 3rd line....

I guess I will say agree to disagree and we can wait and see if he does sign in Columbus and how it all shakes out

Also where did the captain go?
Damn. Sorry. Forgot CBJ has such wide material on their offense.

Getting Haula would be overkill then. Quality is definitely what they need over quantity.

Reactions: thebus88

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Is Grigorenko and Nash going to be on their top12 next season? And is Texier definitely playing in the NHL next season?

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
He was very good with the Wild, a true 1st line winger (69 points in 81, 67 points in 77 and 49 points in 63).
Then he was traded to Nashville while his fiancee was in labour and they lost their baby through misscarriage.
He wasn't the same player that he was in Minnesota and I really think he is going to bounce back and thus could be a steal if the Jackets sign him for under 5 million.
If he is back to his old self, he is a better, more productive player than Bjorkstrand, Aktinson or Jenner (lol).

Add: I've watched probably close to 300 Wild games when he was still there.

Reactions: Mestaruus

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Some misinformation here. Granlund started to slump a good month or more before he was traded to NSH. He and his wife had a healthy baby the day he was traded, more or less. He then went to NSH and wasn't very good. The miscarriage happened near the end of his time in NSH. To blame that for his lack of production is simply not correct.

MiG was a true first line player for two years, when he had 60+ points. Before that he was often playing top six minutes and lots of PP TOI but had mediocre point totals.

Until he proves otherwise, he is a middle six tweener.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
In Predators forwards need to defend that defenders can attack, it is hard to offensive forwards to play their game on a such system. Good luck for MG with CBJ.

Reactions: Morrison

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Unlike those crazy offensive powerhouse teams up in Minnesota ?

I think that Granlund might be a bad match hockey wise for CBJ, though he will be comfortable with Mikko and Jarmo. He should be going to a team that needs forward depth like EDM...maybe ARI. The longer this goes on, the smaller his contract becomes.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I don’t expect that Granlund would be brought to Columbus to play center. But there are lots of strange pieces of info in this thread about what position some of these CBJ forwards play.

So far for center movement this offseason, CBJ have lost Wennberg and added Domi and Koivu. Expectation is that this will allow Jenner to shift back to LW.

Grigorenko was also acquired but there has been little public conversation about him playing C here.

Reactions: cslebn

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I don’t expect that Granlund would be brought to Columbus to play center. But there are lots of strange pieces of info in this thread about what position some of these CBJ forwards play.

So far for center movement this offseason, CBJ have lost Wennberg and added Domi and Koivu. Expectation is that this will allow Jenner to shift back to LW.

Grigorenko was also acquired but there has been little public conversation about him playing C here.
Grigorenko is a right wing

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
If Columbus wants a guy that brings minimal effort on a nightly basis, is scared to go into the corners and will net ya 30 points all season than mg is your guy.
Never been more unimpressed with a forward in my life as a Preds fan than this bum.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
He most definitely can.

But not well.

Depends on what you want. Granlund's offensive play is best in display when he is used as a winger. He can play C and does it defensively well, but it harms his offense. He plays "too responsibly" when used as a center and doesn't use his creativity & take risks in the O-zone.

So you can choose which Granlund you want. A 2nd line winger who sets up shooters on a regular basis and drives PP well, or a 3rd line defensively responsible C.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I never thought of Granlund as a guy who doesn't give effort. He had some legendary shifts in MN where he threw himself in front of shots multiple times. For a smaller guy, he is surprisingly good at board battles, or was in MN. Having said all that, he is a skill player. You get him on your team for his passing. IQ, and puck handling abilities, not for ability to bang around with power forwards and Dmen that outweigh him by 30-40 lbs.

I have no clue what is going on in NSH. For some reason forwards seem to go there and underachieve. You can't blame their defensive system . MN's and STL's are just as suffocating, nvm NYI's and CBJ's.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He was very good with the Wild, a true 1st line winger (69 points in 81, 67 points in 77 and 49 points in 63).
Then he was traded to Nashville while his fiancee was in labour and they lost their baby through misscarriage.
He wasn't the same player that he was in Minnesota and I really think he is going to bounce back and thus could be a steal if the Jackets sign him for under 5 million.
If he is back to his old self, he is a better, more productive player than Bjorkstrand, Aktinson or Jenner (lol).

Add: I've watched probably close to 300 Wild games when he was still there.

The Jackets have two unambiguous topliners - Dubois and Bjorkstrand. Bjorkstrand was injured but his goal scoring pace over the last year and a half is elite. Just pace, I know, but he isn't going to be bumped down.

Can Granlund be a topline winger at LW?

Even at LW he'd have to push down Texier who is stepping up well, and Foligno who clicks with Dubois. Nyquist also might have more to give there. If Granlund can play his style of game at LW then I'd be more on board with it. If it's just as a RW then he won't be getting the plum minutes.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
The Jackets have two unambiguous topliners - Dubois and Bjorkstrand. Bjorkstrand was injured but his goal scoring pace over the last year and a half is elite. Just pace, I know, but he isn't going to be bumped down.

Can Granlund be a topline winger at LW?

Even at LW he'd have to push down Texier who is stepping up well, and Foligno who clicks with Dubois. Nyquist also might have more to give there. If Granlund can play his style of game at LW then I'd be more on board with it. If it's just as a RW then he won't be getting the plum minutes.
Why not? He could easily be switched with Atkinson between 2nd and 3rd lines.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad