Rumor: Granlund to CBJ

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
For what it's worth MG was my favorite player for the Wild for a long time.

He has to be a "fit" but if he is a "fit" he is a first line, or second line winger.

If there wasn't an expansion draft and a glutton on young forwards on this Wild team I would have loved to see him back.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why not? He could easily be switched with Atkinson between 2nd and 3rd lines.

The issue there is that the two best shooters are Bjorkstrand and Atkinson (a Zucker type guy), both RW, and you're not really getting the same synergy by playing Granlund opposite Texier, Nyquist, Foligno, Jenner, etc...

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
The issue there is that the two best shooters are Bjorkstrand and Atkinson (a Zucker type guy), both RW, and you're not really getting the same synergy by playing Granlund opposite Texier, Nyquist, Foligno, Jenner, etc...
I think the issue is you think the old fashioned way in terms of top6 and bottom6. That hasn’t been the successful way in the NHL for a while anymore.

Atkinson can still be productive on the 3rd line for example. It can actually be better for him as he gets easier matchups most likely. Add PP to that.

Granlund being the more complete player can play anywhere in the lineup. But if he’s better than Atkinson, then of course he deserves more ice time.

These are just some examples.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the issue is you think the old fashioned way in terms of top6 and bottom6. That hasn’t been the successful way in the NHL for a while anymore.

Atkinson can still be productive on the 3rd line for example. It can actually be better for him as he gets easier matchups most likely. Add PP to that.

Granlund being the more complete player can play anywhere in the lineup. But if he’s better than Atkinson, then of course he deserves more ice time.

These are just some examples.

I don't think I've ever been accused of that before. I love a good 4 line team. And I think you may have misread me. I was saying Granlund would be most valuable if he's playing opposite wing from one of the best shooters - Bjorkstrand or Atkinson. Those are both RWs, so can Granlund play his best at LW? If he isn't in that great of a position, it's not that he would be useless, but the team already has 15 NHL forwards, and it would be a tiny marginal improvement.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I don't think I've ever been accused of that before. I love a good 4 line team. And I think you may have misread me. I was saying Granlund would be most valuable if he's playing opposite wing from one of the best shooters - Bjorkstrand or Atkinson. Those are both RWs, so can Granlund play his best at LW? If he isn't in that great of a position, it's not that he would be useless, but the team already has 15 NHL forwards, and it would be a tiny marginal improvement.
Ok. Understood your point better now and it’s a fair one.

Reactions: Cowumbus

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Some misinformation here. Granlund started to slump a good month or more before he was traded to NSH. He and his wife had a healthy baby the day he was traded, more or less. He then went to NSH and wasn't very good. The miscarriage happened near the end of his time in NSH. To blame that for his lack of production is simply not correct.

MiG was a true first line player for two years, when he had 60+ points. Before that he was often playing top six minutes and lots of PP TOI but had mediocre point totals.

Until he proves otherwise, he is a middle six tweener.

The poster claiming he didn’t give an honest effort is dead wrong. He played hard. He just sucked here. I don’t know how to explain it. I was very excited when we acquired him. It just didn’t work out.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
The more I think about it, the more I'd rather wait and see what happens w/cap teams in the very near future. Sign PLD and Gav, then see how much cap space we have, and who is dealing which players; then sign him if he's the best option. If someone picks him up, wait till TDL and see what this team needs. Not convinced a "Star" LW like Hall (a shoot first) was what this team needed anyways. Granlund on the other hand...hopefully he's still available (and cheap) when the dust settles; if we don't find a better fit in the next couple weeks.

loudis

Dec 21, 2012
Finland
While playing RW in Minnesota, for almost 3 seasons, Granlund was top10 on scoring for RW. When Hynes took over, Granlund played The most minutes among forwards. 1 PP, 1 PK and a clutch player.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I never thought of Granlund as a guy who doesn't give effort. He had some legendary shifts in MN where he threw himself in front of shots multiple times. For a smaller guy, he is surprisingly good at board battles, or was in MN. Having said all that, he is a skill player. You get him on your team for his passing. IQ, and puck handling abilities, not for ability to bang around with power forwards and Dmen that outweigh him by 30-40 lbs.

I have no clue what is going on in NSH. For some reason forwards seem to go there and underachieve. You can't blame their defensive system . MN's and STL's are just as suffocating, nvm NYI's and CBJ's.

I think the biggest thing in Nashville was that once it became clear he just didn't click with the players he played with, and didn't play his usual role on the PP, he just lost his confidence as a playmaker and focused more on grinding and doing the other things coaches always talked about. But at the end of the day no matter how much heart Granlund has he's always going to have limitations due to his size combined with lack of high-end speed.

Good thing is his vision, skill or mind for the game never went anywhere and confidence can always come back. I still remember one brilliant play he made down-low to Bonino in front, no-look pass while someone was grabbing him, we just didn't see that often enough.

I think he's potentially one of the best value contracts in this FA. I mentioned this on the Sharks board for example, i think he'd be an excellent fit in SJ. Put him on a line with Hertl and Kane, two big guys who compliment Granny in every way you can think of. Both guys have size to protect the puck, Kane has the speed and shooting mentality, Hertl is excellent with possession and can play a skill game as well. Reminds me of the Zucker/Koivu/Granny line except Hertl is in his prime and Kane is a bigger guy than Zucker.

On top of that Granny would be the best pure passer from their forwards on the PP and what better situation for him than to feed Burns/EK on the point, it gives him a whole new dimension on the PP to suck guys to him and land those saucers either to one of the Norris guys, make that quick pass in front where Kane/Hertl bang it in or a seam to the other side. Scoring options/threats everywhere.

Last edited:

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Perfect fit, IMO. I really wanted him back in Minnesota but wish him all the success in the world in Columbus. Nashville didn't work out for some reason but remember, he never chose Nashville - I think if he's invested in Columbus, he'll return to being a beast (albeit a smallish beast). You guys are going to love him.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Not happening. PLD has got Jarmo by the balls.

Granlund is currently making around 6M$ and might be interested in 1 year contract in hopes of cashing in next year, but the problem is that CBJ don't have that much to give and while he would be 100% amazing fit with Koivu, Koivu is going to play 3rd line minutes and there won't be chances for Granlund to really drag his value up. Playing Granlund in the top lines would be more risky for CBJ, especially considering the horrendous season he just had in Nashville.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I like Granlund a lot, and as a second line left wing you cannot go wrong. Paying him to be a center, would be a mistake at this point in his career. He played very well in the second half under John Hynes.

Reactions: Scoresberg

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
In all honesty, what could PLD be asking for to cause the franchise to pause their plans for free agency?

Is it a term request? 8 year x 7 million ask? Or, is he asking for a 4 year x 9 million deal to bring him straight to UFA status and cbj won’t budge on it?

I just find it so bizarre.

the way it’s going, cbj is just waiting for a team to do them the favor of submitting an offer sheet, hoping pld accepts, and immediately match.

On a side note, what’s a realistic contract for Gavrikov? One year in the league, above average defenseman but not a high scoring threat...? I don’t even know where to guess on him...3 years at 10M total?

Reactions: Morrison

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund will be lucky to get a 4M contract of any length. He should pick a team where he can play with talented players, and do a one year contract of around 3M. If he has a rebound year then he will be able to recoup cash with his next deal BOS and PIT are places that might suit him. He and Zucker have played very well in the past, and I could see him providing the offensive quality and versatility that BOS needs, especially this year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would avoid that place if possible, but that's just me. Nothing against Ottawa, but nothing good can come from an owner like Melnyk.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
According to capfriendly Ottawa only has 6.5m cap space left and 7 open roster spots.

I don't see how they can make that work.

Umm, what? Ottawa has 27 million in cap space. Maybe they are 6.5 million below the floor. Maybe that’s what you’re talking about.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
In all honesty, what could PLD be asking for to cause the franchise to pause their plans for free agency?

Is it a term request? 8 year x 7 million ask? Or, is he asking for a 4 year x 9 million deal to bring him straight to UFA status and cbj won’t budge on it?

I just find it so bizarre.

the way it’s going, cbj is just waiting for a team to do them the favor of submitting an offer sheet, hoping pld accepts, and immediately match.

On a side note, what’s a realistic contract for Gavrikov? One year in the league, above average defenseman but not a high scoring threat...? I don’t even know where to guess on him...3 years at 10M total?
He’s likely waiting for Barzal to sign and base off that deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad