Confirmed with Link: Granlund (MIN) for Fiala(NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Didn't browse through the whole thread, so this might have been brought up earlier.
"Fenton said he had been working on a Granlund deal for a while and discussed him with several teams. He did not ask the Predators to include a draft pick." Sarah McLellan, ST
Does he realize that he can consult with other members of his staff before making moves. I'd love to get their thoughts on the return.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
I actually like this trade. Sorry but the core, as was, wasn’t getting it done.

Take Kunin, Greenway, Fiala, Donato, and Ek and put them with Kaprizov in a couple years. See what we have.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
it took me a long time to appreciate granlund & his skill but now i felt he was part of the core that should not have been traded. we'll miss you mig!

Aftershave

Feb 26, 2019
Geneva (Switzerland)
Agreed, Finns are more than welcome here! I hope they stick around despite our moron GM having a not so great opinion of Finns apparently.

We do still have the Kaptain!

I'm (still) a Wild fan from Switzerland with Finnish roots. Theoretically I should feel neutral about a FIN-SWISS trade. I hate it. It makes no sense. Been reading the HF boards for some time now and never posted. I feel I need to share my sadness and anger. #FireFenton.

Only good news is Granny joins Rinne and Josi over there... Sure hope they destroy this team next Sunday.

That said I wish all the best to Fiala and hope he will end up being a serious scoring machine.

Reactions: Jaakarh

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm (still) a Wild fan from Switzerland with Finnish roots. Theoretically I should feel neutral about a FIN-SWISS trade. I hate it. It makes no sense. Been reading the HF boards for some time now and never posted. I feel I need to share my sadness and anger. #FireFenton.

Only good news is Granny joins Rinne and Josi over there... Sure hope they destroy this team next Sunday.

That said I wish all the best to Fiala and hope he will end up being a serious scoring machine.
I can't root against the Wild, it's not in me to go that far... that said, I do wish Granlund well. When the Preds are in the playoffs and we aren't, I'll root for them then.

What's going to suck though, is watching Granlund destroy us repeatedly while playing for a division rival that we gift wrapped him to.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Didn't browse through the whole thread, so this might have been brought up earlier.
"Fenton said he had been working on a Granlund deal for a while and discussed him with several teams. He did not ask the Predators to include a draft pick." Sarah McLellan, ST
That's embarrasing

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

That's the part that bugs me. Clearly Fenton doesn't yet understand the art of negotiation. At the very least he should've gotten another draft pick, a higher round one would've been nice...but even a 3rd or 4th rounder can be a valuable chip at the draft if you want to wheel and deal.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
I figured that Granlund would be a Minnesota lifer. This feels like a radical move to shift Minnesota towards a re-building phase, rather than settling for being "average" with the core that they now had. A message being sent to the players and the fanbase, almost. But Granlund was young enough, I feel, to have been part of a new core, as well as the old. The kind of a guy you generally want to have around when building a young team, due to his ability to make other players better.

The GM obviously sees a lot in Fiala. Time will tell whether he was right or not.

The gameplay style of Fiala, must be what he hopes to build the "new" Minnesota Wild around. He wants a faster, younger team, rather than the group of crafty, skilled vets that they have had.

Granlund had a lot of tools, but he was never the fastest guy around, so that might be why he wasn't included in the GM's project of the future. A franchise that may not always be as dependably solid, but which will be more exciting, and thus more properly lives up to the "Wild" moniker.

Last edited:

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I understand the need to get younger but value-wise this trade sucks just like the Coyle and Nino trades. These trades require Fenton to catch a couple of FAs in the summer. I don't believe in a core of Donato, Fiala, Staal, Spurgeon and Suter (+ even slower Koivu if not retired). Although, I do like that we have young depth now with moderate potential to build on so it's not a complete rebuild that usually takes forever. Not holding my breath to make it to the playoffs in the next couple of seasons, but that's OK.

Also a bit sad to see my age group shipped elsewhere :(

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Sounds like Fenton has been after Fiala for a long time and Poile took advantage of that. Pretty pathetic to not ask for a pick. Stubborn old goat is what comes to mind with him right now.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sounds like Fenton has been after Fiala for a long time and Poile took advantage of that. Pretty pathetic to not ask for a pick. Stubborn old goat is what comes to mind with him right now.
Fenton is like a typical hfboard fan when it comes to prospects apparently. He gets his guy in mind and attaches irrational level of value regardless of accomplishments or lack there of.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Does he realize that he can consult with other members of his staff before making moves. I'd love to get their thoughts on the return.
Maybe he has surrounded himself with a bunch of yes men.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
That's the part that bugs me. Clearly Fenton doesn't yet understand the art of negotiation. At the very least he should've gotten another draft pick, a higher round one would've been nice...but even a 3rd or 4th rounder can be a valuable chip at the draft if you want to wheel and deal.

Good thing he is 60yo this year. Truly a spring chicken, in the best stage for development.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I understand the need to get younger but value-wise this trade sucks just like the Coyle and Nino trades. These trades require Fenton to catch a couple of FAs in the summer. I don't believe in a core of Donato, Fiala, Staal, Spurgeon and Suter (+ even slower Koivu if not retired). Although, I do like that we have young depth now with moderate potential to build on so it's not a complete rebuild that usually takes forever. Not holding my breath to make it to the playoffs in the next couple of seasons, but that's OK.

Also a bit sad to see my age group shipped elsewhere :(

I thought we got decent value for Coyle......of course, I was never a huge fan of him to begin with. He was one of the biggest teases of a hockey player I've ever watched...Seemed to have all the tools, but always left wanting more out of him. I think Donato's ceiling is higher than Coyle's.

Reactions: The Zarn

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I thought we got decent value for Coyle......of course, I was never a huge fan of him to begin with. He was one of the biggest teases of a hockey player I've ever watched...Seemed to have all the tools, but always left wanting more out of him. I think Donato's ceiling is higher than Coyle's.

Donato is a mediocre AHL player, average 2way, 22yo, RFA in the summer and with 8% career shooting.

Nothing on this kid says he will make it. The best case is to hope Fenton gives him a short bridge if this bubble streak continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad