Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Having a D prospect that is actually a defensive stalwart is pretty exciting. Given his high hockey IQ, physical play, and even some offense.... seider seems to be in a tier of his own as far as our D prospects are concerned.

Seider seems like a prototypical 1D in the making

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Having a D prospect that is actually a defensive stalwart is pretty exciting. Given his high hockey IQ, physical play, and even some offense.... seider seems to be in a tier of his own as far as our D prospects are concerned.

Seider seems like a prototypical 1D in the making

Hes far away in a tier of his own. Dont think theres a wings D prospect close to him honestly. They have some solid prospects at D like McIsaac but Seider is a legit blue chip prospect

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Which 2020 draft pick would you trade Seider for?

This might sound crazy but I wouldn't. Not even for #1 overall. If seids hits (which to this point looks very promising) his position, skillset, and size is more valuable than an elite wing.

Also I'm expecting the wings to be drafting top 4 anyway due to the current team and pace. So adding another high end forward is already in the cards.

I could be crazy though.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
This might sound crazy but I wouldn't. Not even for #1 overall. If seids hits (which to this point looks very promising) his position, skillset, and size is more valuable than an elite wing.

Also I'm expecting the wings to be drafting top 4 anyway due to the current team and pace. So adding another high end forward is already in the cards.

I could be crazy though.
I'm inclined to agree. If it was a generational 1C type @ 1st OA, then pull the trigger. LaFrenniere could be the next Patrick Stefan in terms of career (yeah I know Stefan was a C). Too much gamble to lose a likely (imho) solid future #3 on a cup team, possibly #2/#1 on a contender/Cup team. Count me in the crazy crowd.

Reactions: Tetsuo

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan

I could be crazy though.

I'm inclined to agree. If it was a generational 1C type @ 1st OA, then pull the trigger. LaFrenniere could be the next Patrick Stefan in terms of career (yeah I know Stefan was a C). Too much gamble to lose a likely (imho) solid future #3 on a cup team, possibly #2/#1 on a contender/Cup team. Count me in the crazy crowd.

Echoing these sentiments... I think Seider will be a top 4 RHD if he can stay healthy. What he has shown will be invaluable to a contender, especially because he can play difficult minutes while being very physical. I think he could be the next Vlad.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I could be crazy though.

\Seider is a good prospect.
Lafreniere is a potential franchise player.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

so could Seider

lets not act like he's proven himself in the NHL just because he's looked nice for a quarter of a season in the AHL

players like Lafreniere are generally a pretty safe bet,certainly still at least as much as Seider is at this point

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
DETROIT RED WINGS CONFIRM DEPARTURE FROM MORITZ SEIDER FOR THE U20 WORLD CUP

The Detroit Red Wings are Moritz Seider for the German U20 national team at the 2020 IIHF U20 World Ice Hockey Championship (26 December 2019 to 5 January 2020 in Ostrava / Trinec) from. This confirmed General Manager Steve Yzerman after talks with DEB Sport Director Stefan Schaidnagel and national coach Toni Söderholm in Detroit. Here Yzerman emphasized the importance of the tournament and the commitment of the German defender: "We are convinced that for Moritz the U20 World Cup in December will be another important step in the development of his career. It is also natural for us to turn Moritz off for the U20 national team. We had very good discussions with the responsible persons of the DEB and are happy to assist. "
"We are delighted that Detroit Red Wings and GM Steve Yzerman have confirmed the importance of the U-20 World Cup as part of our conversation and support Moritz Seider's U20 national team - a great sign of the importance of our national teams ", Explained Stefan Schaidnagel. The DEB sports director has been on tour since 16 November 2019 with national coach Toni Söderholm on a trip to the USA to hold talks with the national team players from the NHL / AHL and the sports officials of the clubs. As part of the trip on 21 November 2019, the conversation with Seve Yzerman on the sidelines of the game Columbus against Detroit instead.
Moritz Seider is looking forward to his second World Cup participation in 2019: "I was very happy to hear that I was allowed to support the U20 national team at the World Cup. We will be with a good team at the start - I'm looking forward to the guys! "
The 18-year-old led the German U20 national team last year at the home WC in Füssen as captain for the gold medal and the associated promotion to the top division. On May 7, 2019 Seider made his world debut for the men's national team. Following the tournament, the German defender was drafted sixth in the NHL Entry Draft in 2019 by the Detroit Red Wings and signed an entry-level contract in July 2019. In the current season, the 18-year-old came for the AHL farm team Grand Rapids Griffins used in all 20 season games.
Seider arrives at the German U20 national team as part of the World Cup preparation and reinforces the team of U20 national coach Tobias Abstreiter at the 2020 IIHF U20 Ice Hockey World Championship. On December 27, 2019, the German U20 national team denies their tournament start against the United States. In the further course of the preliminary round, the DEB selection meets the Czech Republic, Canada and Russia.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Which 2020 draft pick would you trade Seider for?

I probably only trade him right now for a guaranteed #1 or #2 pick in 2020. If you can get Lafreniere or Byfield for Seider, I think you have to do it, but at the end of the day, Seider looks like he has the potential to be a 1D type, which is a significant piece to any contender. The alternative beginning at pick #3 is like a Holtz, Raymond, Perfetti type, which all feel like luxury picks. All stand a really good chance to be impact players, but just not in a way that I see being more material than Seider.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I could be crazy though.

Echoing these sentiments... I think Seider will be a top 4 RHD if he can stay healthy. What he has shown will be invaluable to a contender, especially because he can play difficult minutes while being very physical. I think he could be the next Vlad.

You guys are definitely crazy. Seider who is looking like a really good prospect is not even in the same realm as Lafreniere and I love Seider. Would you rather have a Parayko or a physical Patrick Kane? Its passed crazy, its clinically insane to say say you wouldnt trade him for Lafreniere. Hopefully the wings get to have both and it doesnt matter anyways though.

I probably only trade him right now for a guaranteed #1 or #2 pick in 2020. If you can get Lafreniere or Byfield for Seider, I think you have to do it, but at the end of the day, Seider looks like he has the potential to be a 1D type, which is a significant piece to any contender. The alternative beginning at pick #3 is like a Holtz, Raymond, Perfetti type, which all feel like luxury picks. All stand a really good chance to be impact players, but just not in a way that I see being more material than Seider.

This is where I stand roughly. For sure trading him for 1 or 2. But him being a dman and playing well in pro hockey would make it tough to potentially take either a Swede who isnt used to small ice or a CHL player who hasnt played against men. The 3rd overall could easily end up better but theres some risk there. Laf or Byfield is a runaway in their favour.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Larsson starting in goal for GR tonight. Givani Smith could be in the lineup tonight. Raz & Puempel still out, but Puempel could be back as early as tomorrow night when the Griffins play in Rockford. Pat Nagel is the Griffins backup goaltender as he was called up yesterday from Toledo. Teddy Bear toss on the Griffins first goal for tonight's promo and Mo Seider is on the latest (2nd) cover of Griffiti.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Larsson starting in goal for GR tonight. Givani Smith could be in the lineup tonight. Raz & Puempel still out, but Puempel could be back as early as tomorrow night when the Griffins play in Rockford. Pat Nagel is the Griffins backup goaltender as he was called up yesterday from Toledo. Teddy Bear toss on the Griffins first goal for tonight's promo and Mo Seider is on the latest (2nd) cover of Griffiti.
thanx 4 report . any more info on razz ?

Christien

May 1, 2010
Anyones stream down? My stream has been messing up all night long.

EDIT: okay so its working now. Anybody elses been messing up though?

Reactions: decaguard

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
The goaltender for the Moose used to play junior in my home town of Victoria BC. Very solid in goal. Outhouse just got signed to a free agent deal by the Moose.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
thanx 4 report . any more info on razz ?

Rumblings here is that he has a broken hand/wrist. Can not officially confirm that. Pretty much hush hush on his injury. Jarid Lukosevicius is the latest Griffins to go down with injury when he got drilled by a Wolves player in Chicago on Wednesday (AHL handed that player a 2 game suspension earlier today for that hit). Puempel could play tomorrow in Rockford, but most likely on Wednesday. Lack of scoring over here as well. Defense did not help Larsson out at all tonight. Kaski and Lindstrom looked terrible back there tonight. Team played much better after Nagle came in for Larsson, but too little too late. Both teams played like they have struggled. Moose beat the Griffins in the 2nd period and that pretty much summed up the game.

Reactions: Lil Bert

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Rumblings here is that he has a broken hand/wrist. Can not officially confirm that. Pretty much hush hush on his injury. Jarid Lukosevicius is the latest Griffins to go down with injury when he got drilled by a Wolves player in Chicago on Wednesday (AHL handed that player a 2 game suspension earlier today for that hit). Puempel could play tomorrow in Rockford, but most likely on Wednesday. Lack of scoring over here as well. Defense did not help Larsson out at all tonight. Kaski and Lindstrom looked terrible back there tonight. Team played much better after Nagle came in for Larsson, but too little too late. Both teams played like they have struggled. Moose beat the Griffins in the 2nd period and that pretty much summed up the game.

What's your view on the play of:
Svechnikov: Is he getting lots of PP time? how does his skating look? How about his conditioning?
Veleno: Ate another -2 tonight. Bad luck? Or does he look that weak defensively?

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
What's your view on the play of:
Svechnikov: Is he getting lots of PP time? how does his skating look? How about his conditioning?
Veleno: Ate another -2 tonight. Bad luck? Or does he look that weak defensively?

Svech is playing like he played in GR 2 seasons ago. He looks lost, trying too hard to make a play, and then turns the puck over. Taking too many silly penalties once again. He plays much better in Detroit than he does here in GR. He is getting PP time lately mainly because Zadina, Puempel, and Rasmussen are all out right now. He can dig pucks along the boards, but that is about it. Playing tentitive right now. He needs to make quicker decisions when he has the puck.

Veleno is improving skatingwise and he hustles and breaks up a lot of plays in the neutral zone. Our whole team can not win draws, especially on special teams. Mainly gets "-" on the ice due to our lack of D when he is on the ice, or even a bad bounce off one of our players and lands on the stick of the other team and they bury the puck in our net. His weakness is he gets man-handled along the boards. Fore-checks great and skates well. Still learning to become a 2-way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad