Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Anybody think Simon's job is on the line? I know it's hard when Detroit was making all of those call ups, but something's got to give. After 2 periods tonight so far the team just seems to be lacking pace and in shambles.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Anybody think Simon's job is on the line? I know it's hard when Detroit was making all of those call ups, but something's got to give. After 2 periods tonight so far the team just seems to be lacking pace and in shambles.
The only thing good about the game was Seider with some crunching hits and three shots on goal.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I could be reading too much into it, but Svechnikov getting third line duties with the Griffs at this stage seems pretty discouraging for his future here.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Pretty depressing that our top prospects continue to be unable to succeed in the AHL. Really hope this turns aorund soon.

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012

It's an interesting question. Simon seems like he has his head in the right place philosophy wise for the most part when I hear him talk, but for two years I've been completely unimpressed by his systems.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
We've been talking about firing Blashill, but at this point I think the conversation should be about firing Ben Simon. League worst goals against, bottom 3 PK. They have vet defensemen, they have promising young defensemen, and they have a vet starting goalie. They shouldn't be getting lit up like this.

Also I don't know what's going on, but Joe Veleno is -20. The next worst +/- on the team is -9. Whatever is going on, something's got to change.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We've been talking about firing Blashill, but at this point I think the conversation should be about firing Ben Simon. League worst goals against, bottom 3 PK. They have vet defensemen, they have promising young defensemen, and they have a vet starting goalie. They shouldn't be getting lit up like this.

Agree with this. Griffins won't benefit anything by being bad.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Simon's job is not on the line at all. Too many injuries in Detroit and here in GR are not helping the Griffins out right. Injuries here include Rasmussen, Puempel (team lost every game since his injury), & Jarid Lukosevicius at the forward position. Then you have several rookies on defense, plus you take on 2 goaltenders (veteran project and rookie) going into the season not knowing where this team is going. And you have rookies at the forward positions trying to get their feet wet in the pro game. Then the Wings play musical chairs lately as to who comes up and who comes down.

Tough to watch over here lately. No different than watching a Red Wings game. It takes them 40 minutes to wake up and play hockey, but it is too little, too late. Power play (first two) were terrible. PK has not been good all season long. Goaltending has been consistently bad for most of the season so far. Defense creating too many turnovers either in our zone or at the neutral zone and teams are taking advantage of that.

Right now we have Toledo's top goaltender (Nagle), top scorer (Spezia), top PP points by d-man (Anselmini), plus another d-man (McCrea) playing in GR right now. Add Seider and Veleno leaving the Griffins after Friday's game for the World Jr Championships will not help them either.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What do you think... could this Yzerman up/down -fest in recalling between NHL/AHL hurt the team? No line chemistries growing...

Holland's policy was more stable and Yzerman talked about the same at summer plans. Find everybody a place and then not mess too much.

But Yzerman's actions have been exact opposite vs. his summer talk. Guys come and go all the time. It has to be different Griffins lineup every night without any stability. That's not good at hockey in general.

At some point you have to get things more stable and get a winning streak, or the season is gone. AHL playoff success is important for the kids development, so you can't pull season on toilet like this.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I could be reading too much into it, but Svechnikov getting third line duties with the Griffs at this stage seems pretty discouraging for his future here.

Svech has not been playing well here in GR at all lately. He has to get out of his funk in order to play in the top 2 lines here. He did score a PP goal tonight, but not much else from him so far this season here. Had the same problem here 2 years ago.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
The only thing good about the game was Seider with some crunching hits and three shots on goal.

Seider did not have his great game tonight. Made a few turnovers and got a cheap penalty call that did not help the Griffins out tonight. His shots on goal were weak at best as they were mostly low and the goalie could see each one of them. I would like to see him shoot with authority at the point, especially on the pp. Seems tentative to shoot lately. That concerns me in watching him play here in GR. Makes nice passes to get the puck moving to the forwards and on their tape while in stride.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
What do you think... could this Yzerman up/down -fest in recalling between NHL/AHL hurt the team? No line chemistries growing...

Holland's policy was more stable and Yzerman talked about the same at summer plans. Find everybody a place and then not mess too much.

But Yzerman's actions have been exact opposite vs. his summer talk. Guys come and go all the time. It has to be different Griffins lineup every night without any stability. That's not good at hockey in general.

At some point you have to get things more stable and get a winning streak, or the season is gone. AHL playoff success is important for the kids development, so you can't pull season on toilet like this.

I agree but we do have an insane amount of injuries so his hand was forced. Also his AHL team in Syracuse was also very successful if I remember correctly.

Griffins are just too small right now. Centers aren’t getting the job done. Not sure why they are giving up so many goals but the coaching needs to be better all around in this organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad