Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I don't watch the Griffins, so could someone please tell me how Veleno looks? He leads the team in negative plus minus with -14... so is he matching up with top lines, are his linemates are trash, or some sort of combo?

He’s getting a lot of responsibility, playing on the pp and pk. He is not noticeably bad just still adjusting. There is definitely some thing he need to work on that are typical for a newcomer. Learning give and go hockey is a big one.

Reactions: avssuc

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
People need to have patience and look at season-by-season trends to get a better sense of where a player is at. Veleno had some offensive struggles to start his major junior career too, and the AHL is a huge jump from Junior hockey as it not only has more a defensive focus, less overall offensive skill throughout rosters but also sees a lot of fluctuation in terms of roster composition on a week-to-week level, making chemistry difficult to establish. Mantha took a few seasons to get going in the A and he had monster D+1 and D+2 seasons and he is only now putting it all together.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
From the games I've seen, Veleno doesn't look bad or anything. He's high pace, forechecks aggressively, has a little physicality, comes back to help on defense.

The thing he's having trouble with is finding space to make skilled plays, which I think is the same thing Zadina has struggled with.

The AHL is definitely a hard league to score in, but I also think GR's roster is not very deep in terms of guys who can create space. They need a couple of really hard checking veterans, and then I think you'll see a marked uptick in performance. Possibly team-wide. Because while they've scored a lot of goals, a ton of them are on the PP. They're not the best at ES.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
  • Who are Veleno's most common linemates?
    Veleno and Zadina were playing together for a while there, which might have made their struggles worse. The other linemate seemed to switch a bit: Ford, Elson, Puempel. After they broke them up (looks like it was around 10 games ago), the depth lines have been in a blender. Veleno's lines for the last 10 games, ordered by the most recent:
  • Svechnikov-Veleno-Ford
  • Smith-Veleno-Svechnikov
  • Smith-Veleno-Ford
  • Kuffner-Veleno-Elson
  • Elson-Veleno-Ford
  • Smith-Veleno-Svechnikov
  • Puempel-Veleno-Terry
  • McLeod-Veleno-Ford.
  • Elson-Veleno-Zadina
  • Zadina-Veleno-Elson

Last edited:

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Big home & home against Rockford starts tonight. Rockford has a similar record and just sent down Boqvist. Hope we keep up the good hockey.

EDIT: Dang it actually starts tomorrow. Kaiser mentioned 3 games in 4 nights on Tuesday but guess that's not the case.

Last edited:

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Big home & home against Rockford starts tonight. Rockford has a similar record and just sent down Boqvist. Hope we keep up the good hockey.

EDIT: Dang it actually starts tomorrow. Kaiser mentioned 3 games in 4 nights on Tuesday but guess that's not the case.

Game 1 is tonight, let’s f***ing go boys

Reactions: Christien

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Well they were dominating, got a pp that they were terrible on and proceeded to lose all momentum. Rockford had a questionable goal scored back

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Zadina super noticeable but not converting. Veleno had a good shift nothing bad to his game just not that noticeable yet[/QUO
What about Seider is his offensive game still bad?I dont think he was worth 6th overall, because of his non existing offensive game.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Ok i am sorry, i just want to see him being ppg player in farming league.

You post a question asking how he looks, indicating you have not watched him for a second, and then immediately follow it up by calling him a lazy bastard and attacking him for not scoring.

It’s just word vomit, and nobody knows whether to think you are being genuine or a troll or something different yet.

Reactions: Darkseider
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad