Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Kaski just got his first from Zadina!

Guess it was his second. Zadina went and got the puck so I thought it was his first. Great play by Zadina either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: hkydave04

Christien

May 1, 2010
There's no reason to be worried about Veleno. He's creating plays out there and shaking off players to get open, but it's just to early in the season to get worried about Veleno. As for Zadina, he looks much improved from last season.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Says the Griffins are off to their best start in 11 years. As someone that doesn't follow them at all, can someone tell me what the stats don't?

-Who is playing better than their +/-, points, and role?

-How is the goaltending?

-Can we recall the entire team?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Says the Griffins are off to their best start in 11 years. As someone that doesn't follow them at all, can someone tell me what the stats don't?

-Who is playing better than their +/-, points, and role?

-How is the goaltending?

-Can we recall the entire team?
Their best start in 11 years is 5-2-0-1? That's like 8th in points percentage in that league. Has GR just never been very good in the regular season?

griffs

Sep 17, 2012
Grand Rapids, Mi
The team is notorious for slow starts. There are several theories on why. but most relate to how the Red Wings structure their preseason. I am not bashing the Wings as I think their methods are best for the players/team in the long run but it does contribute to slow starts.

- Detroit generally keeps more players up longer than most of the other AHL teams in preseason. I think this is related to how many back to backs the Wings generally play in the preseason.

- Detroit also does not run practices for AHL/NHL separately as they generally split the teams into who is playing that night in one group and those that are not in another. Basically guys practicing with the Wings are often not with who they will be playing with in GR.

- Most of the other AHL teams have their own preseason camp a week or two regular season while most of the Griffins arrive in town the weekend before the season starts.

- Most AHL teams play preseason games with some playing 3 or 4 while GR has not played any preseason games for several years.
- The schedule plays a part as they generally get 1 California trip early or before California they would go out Charlotte.

- Another quirk of the schedule is that most teams do not want early home games so the schedule is very light early in the season which makes it difficult to get momentum. High School football and other fall activities contribute to smaller crowds early season which may also impact the home record.

- GR themselves tend to keep a larger than normal roster the first couple weeks with several skaters ticketed for ECHL that they will sometimes mix in so that if they are needed for call-up later in the year they are familiar with the team/system.

The team starts out really slow but generally winds up with 90-100 points in a 76 game season which is enough to make the playoffs. Last year was probably the worst (87 points) because in addition to the slow start their were tons of injuries/call-ups the last month of the season that resulted in the team that was in 1st place slipping into 4th and needing to back into the playoffs on the last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad