Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We'll see. 22 points in 39 AHL games, along with a -14 rating isn't very encouraging. Add that to no goals and 1 assist in the juniors as the go-to sniper.
His stats are decent for a kid in his first pro season. Nothing to be worried about but also nothing to drive the hype machine wild either. I think anytime a guy makes a big transition like this you give them one season of learning. If Zadina doesn’t look improved next year that’s when you start doubting his potential.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
IDK where you're looking to get these stats but you're not stat watching correctly. He scored 3 games prior to the game tonight and he has 3 points his last four games. I don't know why you picked 11 games as your segment to highlight, but he has 6 points in his last 11 games.

Yeah 6 in his last 11, or 3 in his last 10. You can cherry pick the stats whatever you way you want to, but in his last 10 games played he has 1 goal and 2 assists.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
For anyone in the know... are guys like Cholowski or Rasmussen eligible to play for GR in the Calder Cup playoffs once the Wings season ends?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
IDK where you're looking to get these stats but you're not stat watching correctly. He scored 3 games prior to the game tonight and he has 3 points his last four games. I don't know why you picked 11 games as your segment to highlight, but he has 6 points in his last 11 games.
This guy seems like he goes to the bar and negs girls to try to bring them home.

Reactions: HomersWorld

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
For anyone in the know... are guys like Cholowski or Rasmussen eligible to play for GR in the Calder Cup playoffs once the Wings season ends?
Cholowski should be eligible at any time, but Rasmussen might have to wait until the TC Americans' season is over because he's still junior age.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Cholowski should be eligible at any time, but Rasmussen might have to wait until the TC American's season is over because he's still junior age.
So even if Cholo doesn't play 1 minute for GR this year in the regular season, he can play for them in the Playoffs? That's awesome

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
So even if Cholo doesn't play 1 minute for GR this year in the regular season, he can play for them in the Playoffs? That's awesome
I think there's a rule which says that he has to be sent down (on paper) before the trade deadline and then recalled in order to be playoff eligible. Actually not sure how that works with Rasmussen since he can't be sent down (unless for conditioning like now).

Reactions: Winger98

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think there's a rule which says that he has to be sent down (on paper) before the trade deadline and then recalled in order to be playoff eligible. Actually not sure how that works with Rasmussen since he can't be sent down (unless for conditioning like now).

If you complete that trade deadlime thing, you can send down Cholowski -aged ELC guys as much as you want ( if they don't have +160 NHL games.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Pretty sure you are correct.

In order for Cholowski (and Ehn or anyone else on the NHL roster that can go down) to be eligible for the AHL playoffs, he has to be (at least on paper) on the AHL roster when the NHL trade deadline passes.

The only downside is that every "on paper" assignment and then re-call after the deadline counts against their limit of 4 non-emergency call ups from the trade deadline until the end of the season. That means they won't have as much flexibility to call up young guys for looks unless injuries start to pile up.

Not sure how it will work for Rasmussen, since he technically can't go down at the deadline, or Svechnikov, who's probably still going to be on IR when the deadline passes...

Reactions: Henkka and Winger98

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pretty sure you are correct.

In order for Cholowski (and Ehn or anyone else on the NHL roster that can go down) to be eligible for the AHL playoffs, he has to be (at least on paper) on the AHL roster when the NHL trade deadline passes.

The only downside is that every "on paper" assignment and then re-call after the deadline counts against their limit of 4 non-emergency call ups from the trade deadline until the end of the season. That means they won't have as much flexibility to call up young guys for looks unless injuries start to pile up.

Not sure how it will work for Rasmussen, since he technically can't go down at the deadline, or Svechnikov, who's probably still going to be on IR when the deadline passes...

Don't think they have to care much about that 4 man limit. There's not too many AHL kids to be called up... And if we are gonna have injuries, then go with the emergency callup -way.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Do not be surprised is Cholowski gets sent down to GR before the TDL and stays there for the rest of the season.

Not sure on Ehn as I have not heard anything here in GR as to what the Wings will do with him if they want him to get some playoff time here in GR. Hope to find out in the next day or two from my buddy in the organization on that.

Will also try to find out if and how it is possible for Svech to come back to GR and play (heard he could be cleared to play in March but not sure where.)

The only way Rasmussen comes to GR for the playoffs is the following:

1. Wings have to send Rasmussen to Tri-City Americans at some point (big if they even do or not) in the season and he stays there until the Americans are eliminated from their playoffs.

2. When the Americans are officially out in their playoffs and the Griffins are still in the Calder Cup playoffs, then Rasmussen can sign an ATO contract to the Griffins for the remainder of the AHL playoffs and be on the Griffins roster and play in the playoffs.

Trevor Yates was traded earlier today to the WBS Penguins for future considerations (most likely a player named and placed in Toledo (ECHL)). Yates was assigned to the Penguins ECHL affiliate (Wheeling Nailers) on the same day.

Reactions: waltdetroit

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think Rasmussen would be back early enough to save Tri-City. They are the first wild card out west in the WHL and while they are unfortunate to be there with the 5th best record it does mean they will get one of the big boys. Now Rasmussen and Geekie carried them through that last year but Vancouver or Everett in late March is a tough pill to swallow. He should be free to be optioned down because his WHL team should be out.

My only concern was if we can actually send him down after having spent this amount of time in the NHL, at a certain point in terms of games played you have to pass through waivers to go down even at a young age unless they changed that in the last CBA and I missed it.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I don't think Rasmussen would be back early enough to save Tri-City. They are the first wild card out west in the WHL and while they are unfortunate to be there with the 5th best record it does mean they will get one of the big boys. Now Rasmussen and Geekie carried them through that last year but Vancouver or Everett in late March is a tough pill to swallow. He should be free to be optioned down because his WHL team should be out.

My only concern was if we can actually send him down after having spent this amount of time in the NHL, at a certain point in terms of games played you have to pass through waivers to go down even at a young age unless they changed that in the last CBA and I missed it.
I believe that the threshold is 40 games the previous season (or 80 over 2 seasons) so I think he can pass waivers this year even though he has played 42 games, but I could be wrong.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I believe that the threshold is 40 games the previous season (or 80 over 2 seasons) so I think he can pass waivers this year even though he has played 42 games, but I could be wrong.

This is where I am unclear if the 40 rules both Cholowski and Rasmussen out from this. Like you I thought they were fine, but I remember this from Larkin's first season. At a certain point he wasn't eligible to go down. That might be because he played the year before though...

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
This is where I am unclear if the 40 rules both Cholowski and Rasmussen out from this. Like you I thought they were fine, but I remember this from Larkin's first season. At a certain point he wasn't eligible to go down. That might be because he played the year before though...
He had played 80 regular season games, 5 PO games against TBL , & 10 WC games in his first season. I think they just gave Larks more time to recoup, besides he was at GRG for the playoffs the year before.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He had played 80 regular season games, 5 PO games against TBL , & 10 WC games in his first season. I think they just gave Larks more time to recoup, besides he was at GRG for the playoffs the year before.

Oh I agreed with it, I just couldn't remember if he even had the option at that point was all. I think if both guys are eligible we should leave that option open for sure assuming they are healthy enough. The decision might be made that it is best for them to be in the gym though too. Tough call really.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Oh I agreed with it, I just couldn't remember if he even had the option at that point was all. I think if both guys are eligible we should leave that option open for sure assuming they are healthy enough. The decision might be made that it is best for them to be in the gym though too. Tough call really.
I can see the gym thing as they both need more strength etc but this may be their only chance at PO hockey for awhile. I think they'll send them down as that's been the DRW's MO the past few years & the Grif's could use them in the cup race

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I can see the gym thing as they both need more strength etc but this may be their only chance at PO hockey for awhile. I think they'll send them down as that's been the DRW's MO the past few years & the Grif's could use them in the cup race

Those are two big adds. It also probably is important here that we don't expect our two junior level players that probably could transition to the AHL to be available. With Veleno and McIsaac (Memorial Cup so a sure no) likely to be on deep runs. I am curious if Lindstrom will be brought over to experience the AHL this year. They usually like to do that, guessing we will hear something on that front as his season winds down in Sweden.

But if you look at putting those three players on the roster that is a lot of talent for the playoff run.

For instance we would expect in two years that those three d-man are playing in Detroit, expectations that Hronek and Cholowski would be top 4 guys at that point.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Rybar in goal for GR tonight. WBS Penguins make their only visit to GR this season. Puempel & McIlrath back in lineup. Megan (7th veteran) out. Possibly Sulak (healthy) out as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad