Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
Man, I kinda wish Rasmussen could stay in GR. He looked really good tonight.

Sateri came up huge at the end and it was nice to see Ben Simon put out Zadina and Rasmussen while defending a one goal lead with a minute left.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
upload_2019-1-31_23-12-41.png

What a good start for Ras on his 1st AHL game.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
two points
1) Holstrom looks so much better in that game

2) Many won't like it but would it be terrible if the Grifs started with a Raz-Veleno-Zadina line next year?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
two points

2) Many won't like it but would it be terrible if the Grifs started with a Raz-Veleno-Zadina line next year?

I think they would go with Smith-Veleno-Zadina to have a full prospect line.

Rasmussen belongs in NHL. He has nothing to learn there.

Reactions: Winger98

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think they would go with Smith-Veleno-Zadina to have a full prospect line.

Rasmussen belongs in NHL. He has nothing to learn there.
I know Smith can a skate , but what is his hockey iq, can he play first line?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I know Smith can a skate , but what is his hockey iq, can he play first line?

Hockey IQ? Not great. But he could be a good compliment to Veleno and Zadina. Getting the dirty areas/open space for the two skill guys. Also would be the guy making sure no one is taking liberties with them.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If we keep Svechnikov in GR we could have Zadina-Veleno-Svechnikov line.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
two points

I loved how Zadina and Ras were very complimentive of each other during the preseason, they clearly like playing on the same line. It wouldn't be the worst idea ever. I feel as Ras is closer to the AHL skill level currently than the NHL skill level.

Ideally I want both Ras and Zadina in the NHL next season in top 9 roles, but I don't even know how logistically that'd work.

Czerwone Skrzydla

Mar 17, 2016
I managed to get to the Griffins @ Stars and thought people here might like an (amateurs) in-person impression.

First, Dallas called up Texas's two best forwards (Hintz, and Gurianov) and one of their best defensemen (Carrick) a couple days before the game. With the way both teams have been playing and with the call-ups, I went in expecting GR to dominate, and overall that's more or less what happened. 5v5 GR had a number of stretches where they dominated play, in all three periods, but Texas played better on the power play and better shorthanded to keep the game close.

The Rasmussen-Megan(C)-Zadina line was noticeable throughout the game, but definitely looked better as the game wore on. They were good on the forecheck, had a number of nice takeaways, and were much better after a turnover than the lines they matched up against (Texas was still processing that there was a turnover while this line was making nice quick drop passes, dekes, and getting into shooting positions). I wouldn't be surprised if this line took over a game or two while Rasmussen was in GR, especially if the chemistry keeps growing. Neither Rasmussen or Zadina looked great to me on the power play (on the same unit), though Rasmussen managed to get goal cleaning up a loose puck in front of the net. Zadina's pass on Rasmussen's empty net goal was very nice. He managed to thread it through a couple Stars players, more or less on the tape, to a streaking Rasmussen. Rasmussen just needed to stay in front of his defender and pass it into the net.

The only other forward who really stood out to me was Turgeon. He consistently looked better than his match-up, was good in the corners, and won puck retrieval battles. He seems to me a bit like a 'tweener right now, a little too good for the AHL but maybe not quite an NHL player yet. If he improves a bit, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the NHL next year.

No one in the forward group really stood out in a negative way to me. I was looking for Smith but with a number of power plays and penalty kills he didn't seem to get much playing time or settle into the game until the third. His line did get a nice forecheck driven goal early in the third.

On defense, I though Hicketts and Saarijarvi had good games. Hicketts in particular did a good job of stepping up and keeping the play in the zone, and always seems to play with an edge. I don't think he has quite enough offensive talent to make a 5'8" frame work in the NHL, but it's a shame because I like a lot about his game. Saarijarvi made a couple of nice passes and a couple good reads that made an impression (The one I'm thinking of in particular was a dump past his defensive partner. It was pretty clear that the Texas player was going to get there first, but Saarijarvi put his head down, went across the ice, got to the puck about a step ahead of the forecheck, went around the net and had a clean hard pass out. Not a big play, but it turned what could have been a dangerous forecheck into a clean exit.)

Hronek had a bit of a mixed game for me. He jumped into the attack a lot, mostly for the good, but looked a little like he was forcing the play (He fumbled the puck and looked a little rushed a couple times). I'd liked to have seen a bit of a cleaner game from him (I imagine those fumbles will hurt him at the NHL level), but he still played a pretty good game.

Overall a pretty good performance. The team lost a bit of momentum after giving up two power play goals and going down 3-1, but settled down after getting one back midway through the second. A couple minutes later they tied it up on the power play and looked like the better team for the rest of the game.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Disagree. AHL is perfect for Rasmussen. Just keep giving him conditioning stints lol

Khan saidd in an aticle that Ras might go to the AHL next season actually. hes a tweener, too big and good for the WHL but not quite NHL ready I dont think

Reactions: mantha39
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->