Not open for further replies.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
San Antonio Rampage 1 at Grand Rapids Griffins 5 - Status: Final
Friday, February 15, 2019 - Van Andel Arena

San Antonio 0 1 0 - 1
Grand Rapids 2 0 3 - 5

1st Period-1, Grand Rapids, Campbell 5 (Puempel, Turgeon), 1:07. 2, Grand Rapids, Megan 10 (Cholowski, Terry), 15:46 (PP).

Penalties-LaLeggia Sa (tripping), 1:50; Mikkola Sa (tripping), 11:22; Blais Sa (high-sticking), 14:42.

2nd Period-3, San Antonio, Stevens 5 (Schmaltz, LaLeggia), 6:52.

Penalties-Elson Gr (boarding), 4:26.

3rd Period-4, Grand Rapids, Megan 11 (Frk), 15:44. 5, Grand Rapids, Zadina 14 16:35 (EN). 6, Grand Rapids, Megan 12 (Frk, Zadina), 19:58.

Penalties-Jerabek Sa (interference), 10:13.

Shots on Goal-San Antonio 6-10-5-21. Grand Rapids 22-11-14-47.

Power Play Opportunities-San Antonio 0 / 1; Grand Rapids 1 / 4.

Goalies-San Antonio, Coreau 10-11-6 (46 shots-42 saves). Grand Rapids, Sateri 18-9-2 (21 shots-20 saves).

A-9,373

Referees-Chris Pontes (21), Conor O'Donnell (41).
Linesmen-Jim Scarpace (75), Jake Davis (23).

Reactions: SirloinUB

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
On the third goal, Zadina makes a really smart play. The highlight kind of cuts it out but when Frk makes his pass, Zadina begins to act like he'll be the one to take it and get a shot off. This freezes Coreau for a split second. Zadina then lifts his stick and lets the pass go through to Megan, who has the better look and he buried it. The play isn't going to be quantified on the scoresheet (other than a plus) but that's a prime example of the hockey IQ he possesses.

Reactions: Reddwit

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
On the third goal, Zadina makes a really smart play. The highlight kind of cuts it out but when Frk makes his pass, Zadina begins to act like he'll be the one to take it and get a shot off. This freezes Coreau for a split second. Zadina then lifts his stick and lets the pass go through to Megan, who has the better look and he buried it. The play isn't going to be quantified on the scoresheet (other than a plus) but that's a prime example of the hockey IQ he possesses.

Sounds like when Lemieux let the puck go through his legs in the 2002 olympics...

Maybe Zadina will be as good as Lemieux???

jraj

Dec 2, 2018
I also saw that Zadina has 7 shots on goal last night. I seem to remember when I looked up the game stats from earlier in the season when he was struggling that he wasn't getting many shots, 1-2 or even none.

Really looks like Zadina is figuring out the AHL now. I know it was a more down year than a lot of people expected, with the type of talent he has and how he was hyped as being a near NHL ready goal scorer, but I think fighting through this season at the AHL level will make him a better player in the long run. I think many people underestimated how big of a jump it was for him to go to the AHL as an 18 year old. People can call his season disappointing, but all that matters is how he plays moving forward

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
I also saw that Zadina has 7 shots on goal last night. I seem to remember when I looked up the game stats from earlier in the season when he was struggling that he wasn't getting many shots, 1-2 or even none.

Really looks like Zadina is figuring out the AHL now. I know it was a more down year than a lot of people expected, with the type of talent he has and how he was hyped as being a near NHL ready goal scorer, but I think fighting through this season at the AHL level will make him a better player in the long run. I think many people underestimated how big of a jump it was for him to go to the AHL as an 18 year old. People can call his season disappointing, but all that matters is how he plays moving forward

He's not only learned how to get open better, but he's now got the confidence and skill to make space for himself.

I think when he was drafted, a lot of people, myself included, saw him stepping right onto Larkin's wing and lighting it up. And maybe if he got the chance to be play with Larkin he could have put up a respectable amount of goals, but I think going to the AHL was the right choice long term. He definitely had work to do (and still does!), but I will say that personally I don't view his season thus far as a disappointing or down year.

I think people should take into consideration he's the second youngest player in the league. Using www.prospect-stats.com, I set the filters to players under 20 years old with 10 or more games played. In addition to Zadina, this group includes players such as fowards Martin Necas, Martin Kaut, Eeli Tolvanen, Kailer Yamamoto, Lias Andersson, Klim Kostin and defensemen Nic Hague, Cal Foote, Erik Brannstrom, Rasmus Sandin, Cale Fleury, Timothy Liljegren and more. Here is where Zadina ranks in this group:

Goals: 1st
Primary Assists: 3rd
Primary Points: 1st
Goals/Game Played: 1st
Primary Assists/Games Played: 4th
Primary Points/Games Played: 1st
Points/Games Played: 3rd

I actually didn't realize it until looking at these stats that Zadina only has 3 secondary assists this year. 24/27 points are primary points.

Expanding the filters to include players under 21 opens it up a bit more and adds players such as Drake Batherson, Carl Grundstrom, Max Jones, Taylor Raddysh, Jordan Kyrou, Sam Steel, Vitaly Abramov, etc. Here's where Zadina ranks.

Goals: 7th
Primary Assists: 15th
Primary Points: 8th
Goals/Game Played: 9th
Primary Assists/Games Played: 17th
Primary Points/Games Played: 8th
Points/Games Played: 18th

Zadina has put up some of the best numbers amongst his age group, and even if you pull from a larger age group with players who have been developing longer, I think his numbers are still pretty respectable! He needs some muscle, he needs to be more consistent, but those things will come with time.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He's not only learned how to get open better, but he's now got the confidence and skill to make space for himself.

I think when he was drafted, a lot of people, myself included, saw him stepping right onto Larkin's wing and lighting it up. And maybe if he got the chance to be play with Larkin he could have put up a respectable amount of goals, but I think going to the AHL was the right choice long term. He definitely had work to do (and still does!), but I will say that personally I don't view his season thus far as a disappointing or down year.

I think people should take into consideration he's the second youngest player in the league. Using www.prospect-stats.com, I set the filters to players under 20 years old with 10 or more games played. In addition to Zadina, this group includes players such as fowards Martin Necas, Martin Kaut, Eeli Tolvanen, Kailer Yamamoto, Lias Andersson, Klim Kostin and defensemen Nic Hague, Cal Foote, Erik Brannstrom, Rasmus Sandin, Cale Fleury, Timothy Liljegren and more. Here is where Zadina ranks in this group:

I actually didn't realize it until looking at these stats that Zadina only has 3 secondary assists this year. 24/27 points are primary points.

Expanding the filters to include players under 21 opens it up a bit more and adds players such as Drake Batherson, Carl Grundstrom, Max Jones, Taylor Raddysh, Jordan Kyrou, Sam Steel, Vitaly Abramov, etc. Here's where Zadina ranks.

Zadina has put up some of the best numbers amongst his age group, and even if you pull from a larger age group with players who have been developing longer, I think his numbers are still pretty respectable! He needs some muscle, he needs to be more consistent, but those things will come with time.

I would add that there was a stretch as he was getting comfortable that he was still making some amazing, intelligent plays, but things just weren't going. He's looked very good at the AHL, and I expect him to play 82 games in the NHL next year without too much issue.

Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Wow that sequence.

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
Griffins are all out of sync tonight after dominating last night. Headed to the PK with about 10 minutes left, down 2-0.

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
Frk ties it, Zadina with the assist to continue his point streak. 2 goals in the final two minutes to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->