Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
There aren't many forward prospects we can add to GRG next year.
Berggren, maybe Pearson or Kivenmäki. Does anyone know how Mattias Elfström is looking? His stats are good

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Khan saidd in an aticle that Ras might go to the AHL next season actually. hes a tweener, too big and good for the WHL but not quite NHL ready I dont think

He really suffers from our lack of center depth up here. Play him with Larkin and he faces top match-ups. Play him with Nielsen and he still faces tough competition but without enough support from Nielsen. Play him in the bottom 6 and he’s forced into a checking/energy role that he’s not used to and somewhat wasted on.

I don’t necessarily want us to pay the price for him, but I do wonder if Duchene is on Detroit’s radar for this reason. I’m not sure the timing is right for us to wait around for Hughes/Turcotte/Cozens/Dach/Veleno to be able to carry their own line and with all the young wingers we have, it’s to their detriment not to have a strong 2C or a skilled 3C. At the very least it’d be nice to get a veteran 2/3C on a cheap, 1-2 year deal to help the kids along.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids Griffins 0 at San Antonio Rampage 2 - Status: Final
Friday, February 1, 2019 - AT&T Center

Grand Rapids 0 0 0 - 0
San Antonio 2 0 0 - 2

1st Period-1, San Antonio, Blais 6 (Kyrou, Reinke), 7:37 (PP). 2, San Antonio, Musil 5 (MacIntyre, Butler), 13:17.

Penalties-Hronek Gr (roughing), 6:40; Blais Sa (roughing), 14:57.

2nd Period- No Scoring.

Penalties-Walman Sa (cross-checking), 8:49; Zadina Gr (high-sticking), 11:24; Puempel Gr (roughing), 20:00; Nolan Sa (roughing), 20:00.

3rd Period- No Scoring.

Penalties-Blais Sa (slashing), 17:57.

Shots on Goal-Grand Rapids 7-11-11-29. San Antonio 12-10-5-27.

Power Play Opportunities-Grand Rapids 0 / 3; San Antonio 1 / 2.

Goalies-Grand Rapids, Sateri 16-8-2 (27 shots-25 saves). San Antonio, Coreau 9-10-4 (29 shots-29 saves).

A-11,524

Referees-Ward Pateman (38), Andrew Wilk (57).
Linesmen-Fred Hudy (30), Carl Sasyn (12).

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
There aren't many forward prospects we can add to GRG next year.
Berggren, maybe Pearson or Kivenmäki. Does anyone know how Mattias Elfström is looking? His stats are good
If Berggren or Kivenmaki were to come to NA, I think they would probably be assigned to a junior team.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Grand Rapids Griffins 0 at San Antonio Rampage 2 - Status: Final
Friday, February 1, 2019 - AT&T Center

Grand Rapids 0 0 0 - 0
San Antonio 2 0 0 - 2

1st Period-1, San Antonio, Blais 6 (Kyrou, Reinke), 7:37 (PP). 2, San Antonio, Musil 5 (MacIntyre, Butler), 13:17.

Penalties-Hronek Gr (roughing), 6:40; Blais Sa (roughing), 14:57.

2nd Period- No Scoring.

Penalties-Walman Sa (cross-checking), 8:49; Zadina Gr (high-sticking), 11:24; Puempel Gr (roughing), 20:00; Nolan Sa (roughing), 20:00.

3rd Period- No Scoring.

Penalties-Blais Sa (slashing), 17:57.

Shots on Goal-Grand Rapids 7-11-11-29. San Antonio 12-10-5-27.

Power Play Opportunities-Grand Rapids 0 / 3; San Antonio 1 / 2.

Goalies-Grand Rapids, Sateri 16-8-2 (27 shots-25 saves). San Antonio, Coreau 9-10-4 (29 shots-29 saves).

A-11,524

Referees-Ward Pateman (38), Andrew Wilk (57).
Linesmen-Fred Hudy (30), Carl Sasyn (12).
Coreau

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Red Wings sign Turner Elson to two-year contract

Updated 5:21 PM; Posted 5:21 PM
AO6VE75YXRF5JE4YENCG6J4AJ4.jpg

Turner Elson of the Griffins battles for position.
By Peter J. Wallner | [email protected]

Turner Elson, who is enjoying a strong season in Grand Rapids, was signed to a two-year contract by the Detroit Red Wings, it was announced Tuesday.
The deal with the forward runs through the end of the 2019-20 season. He signed an AHL contract with the Grand Rapids Griffins last June after playing the 2017-18 season on assignment from Detroit.
Elson, 26, ranks fourth on the Griffins in scoring this season with 28 points (12-16-28), while adding a plus-14 rating and 47 penalty minutes in 44 games.
He has already surpassed last season’s production (9-12-21 in 57 games play), is just two points shy of equaling his AHL career high, and his 16 assists have matched his career best total from 2015-16. Elson has accounted for all three of the Griffins’ shorthanded goals this season, tying for second in the league.

No mysteries, just production for Turner Elson
After an odd leg injury sidetracked last season, Elson has found the right fit between high-scoring Chris Terry and Carter Camper.

Since making his professional debut with the Abbotsford Heat at the end of the 2011-12 season, the 6-foot, 190-pound forward has appeared in 276 career AHL contests between Abbotsford (2011-14), Adirondack (2014-15), Stockton (2015-16), San Antonio (2016-17) and Grand Rapids.
Elson made his NHL debut with the Calgary Flames on April 9, 2016, against Minnesota and logged his first point on an assist. Elson won the 2014 Kelly Cup as a member of the ECHL’s Alaska Aces during his first full season as a pro, tallying 15 points (5-10—15) in 18 regular season games before scoring 11 points (7-4—11) in 21 postseason tilts.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Nope. Sulak played terrible last night so he got scratched (deserving so). Megan was the 7th veteran who was also scratched tonight.

I'm betting Sulak ends up back in Europe next season.

Looks like he's been a scratch in 3 of the last 5 Griffins games, and he's clearly behind Hronek and more than likely Hicketts on the RWs depth chart. Given his age, I doubt Sulak is going to want to stick around making <$200k to play in the AHL on a two-way.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Sateri in goal for the 4th straight game for the Griffins tonight. Puempel (illness) & McIlrath (7th veteran) will be out for GR tonight. Manitoba Moose in town tonight. Survived ice storm very early this morning. I was out of power for 4 hours this morning, but back running again.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
When is the last time Zadina scored a goal? 8 games ago? I honestly have lost track. There is no way this guy is NHL ready next year. Looking like he's going to be more of a longterm project than we hoped. The guy isn't scoring, and has an abysmal +/-.

We should have gone positional need and picked Hughes. Zadina is extremely underwhelming. Every time I have watched him (pre-season, world juniors, some Griffins games here and there) he disappoints.

Veleno > Zadina

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
When is the last time Zadina scored a goal? 8 games ago? I honestly have lost track. There is no way this guy is NHL ready next year. Looking like he's going to be more of a longterm project than we hoped. The guy isn't scoring, and has an abysmal +/-.

We should have gone positional need and picked Hughes. Zadina is extremely underwhelming. Every time I have watched him (pre-season, world juniors, some Griffins games here and there) he disappoints.

Veleno > Zadina
Dude... Zads is playing with pros not in juniors, what drugs did you take?

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI

Veleno > Zadina
Yeah because Quinn Hughes is so phenomenal, dude has been underwhelming at UM this year and wasn't very good at the WJC

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Dude... Zads is playing with pros not in juniors, what drugs did you take?

lol you're not biased at all, considering you have a picture of Zadina, and Zadina is in your user name. He has 2 points in his last 11 games. He has 1 goal in his last 11 games. I thought he was a sniper?

I'm pulling for him, and was extremely excited when we drafted him, but a little production would be nice. I watched him like a hawk at the juniors, and was unbelievably underwhelmed every game. He's not fast, he doesn't hit, he's not engaged or involved in the play, he floats and just waits for the puck to come to him. He is incredibly one-dimensional. I know he's young, and I'm not writing him off, I'm just saying I'm not impressed.

Reactions: izlez

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yeah because Quinn Hughes is so phenomenal, dude has been underwhelming at UM this year and wasn't very good at the WJC

So if you could rewind time and go back to the draft, you'd still take Zadina over Hughes? I loved the pick at the time, but I can confidently say I think Hughes will be a better NHL player.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Looks like Hronek tied the game up with a minute left with a PP goal assisted by Zadina. Then Hronek scored the game winner with 25 seconds left.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
So if you could rewind time and go back to the draft, you'd still take Zadina over Hughes? I loved the pick at the time, but I can confidently say I think Hughes will be a better NHL player.
You never know how things are going to be. I believe Zadina better than 18 year old Panarin

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Manitoba Moose 1 at Grand Rapids Griffins 2 - Status: Final
Wednesday, February 6, 2019 - Van Andel Arena

Manitoba 0 1 0 - 1
Grand Rapids 0 0 2 - 2

1st Period- No Scoring.

Penalties-Stoykewych Mb (holding), 15:04; Camper Gr (tripping), 15:34; Dano Mb (slashing, fighting), 19:23; Elson Gr (slashing, fighting), 19:23.

2nd Period-1, Manitoba, McKenzie 5 (Poolman, Reichel), 18:29.

Penalties-Pedersen Mb (boarding), 3:54; Shine Gr (cross-checking), 11:25.

3rd Period-2, Grand Rapids, Hronek 6 (Zadina, Terry), 18:39 (PP). 3, Grand Rapids, Hronek 7 (Terry, Megan), 19:35 (PP).

Penalties-Sulak Gr (slashing), 2:00; Stoykewych Mb (charging), 17:08; Poolman Mb (hooking), 18:00; Dano Mb (misconduct - abuse of officials), 19:35; Lipon Mb (misconduct - abuse of officials), 19:35; Turgeon Gr (cross-checking), 20:00.

Shots on Goal-Manitoba 8-5-8-21. Grand Rapids 5-15-12-32.

Power Play Opportunities-Manitoba 0 / 3; Grand Rapids 2 / 4.

Goalies-Manitoba, Comrie 16-13-4 (32 shots-30 saves). Grand Rapids, Sateri 17-8-2 (21 shots-20 saves).

A-5,301

Referees-Liam Sewell (60), Jonathon Sitarski (50).
Linesmen-Justin Cornell (14), Logan Wetekamp (1).

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
When is the last time Zadina scored a goal? 8 games ago? I honestly have lost track.

He has 2 points in his last 11 games. He has 1 goal in his last 11 games. I thought he was a sniper?

IDK where you're looking to get these stats but you're not stat watching correctly. He scored 3 games prior to the game tonight and he has 3 points his last four games. I don't know why you picked 11 games as your segment to highlight, but he has 6 points in his last 11 games.

Reactions: mantha39

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
lol you're not biased at all, considering you have a picture of Zadina, and Zadina is in your user name. He has 2 points in his last 11 games. He has 1 goal in his last 11 games. I thought he was a sniper?

I'm pulling for him, and was extremely excited when we drafted him, but a little production would be nice. I watched him like a hawk at the juniors, and was unbelievably underwhelmed every game. He's not fast, he doesn't hit, he's not engaged or involved in the play, he floats and just waits for the puck to come to him. He is incredibly one-dimensional. I know he's young, and I'm not writing him off, I'm just saying I'm not impressed.

Laine has 1 goal in his last 15 games, I thought he was a sniper.

Reactions: Konnan511

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
We'll see. 22 points in 39 AHL games, along with a -14 rating isn't very encouraging. Add that to no goals and 1 assist in the juniors as the go-to sniper.

I don't think people truly appreciate how big of a jump it is from junior hockey to even just AHL. Went back to watch Saginaw play this past weekend after 2.5 years of watching the griffs and holy crap did the OHL game look sloooooooow. Even really good 20 year olds don't light it up right away going from CHL to AHL. I for one am perfectly content with how he's doing this year.

Reactions: Winger98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->