Gran Turismo 7

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
GT7 now has the lowest user review average of any Sony published game in Metacritic history.

Well earned.

Completely changing the economy in favor of MTX bullshit post-review period is some shady underhanded garbage. They knew GT7 would be called out for this the same way Forza Motorsport 6 was when they released the game as-is to reviewers. So they decided to give reviewers a false version of the game and change the economy when a significant enough number of consumers had already put down $70.

PD and Sony should be ashamed.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
GT7 now has the lowest user review average of any Sony published game in Metacritic history.

Well earned.

Completely changing the economy in favor of MTX bullshit post-review period is some shady underhanded garbage. They knew GT7 would be called out for this the same way Forza Motorsport 6 was when they released the game as-is to reviewers. So they decided to give reviewers a false version of the game and change the economy when a significant enough number of consumers had already put down $70.

PD and Sony should be ashamed.
Metacritic is a hole of suck.

Besides, Sony is making changes in a few days.

Reactions: Hammettf2b

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Finished the cafe menus and have around 3.5 mil credits. For the veteran GT players, what group cars would you recommend I start buying for online races? Which type of races come up most in Sport mode?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Finished the cafe menus and have around 3.5 mil credits. For the veteran GT players, what group cars would you recommend I start buying for online races? Which type of races come up most in Sport mode?
Road car races have been coming up the most for me. I bought one road and one racing car both top tier.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Race A has so far been hatchbacks that you get from menus. This week is the kart, and GTPlanet always has decent write-ups of a week on a Monday (I don't know how the youtubers I watch are doing guides yet): Gran Turismo 7 Daily Races: A La Kart

Race B and C will almost always be at least one of Gr.3 and Gr.4. There are a range of cars in both classes that can be successful, though the metas haven't really become evident yet. It's very dependent on track so far, and it should evolve over time (especially once they start trying to fix the BOP which determines what the power and weight ratings are in a class)

The Championship races will be a range of cars. The Manufacturers Cup lets you pick a Gr.3 and Gr.4 from one manufacturer which you use in the races for that series, and in GT Sport you could use those cars in other races for as long as you had them. I assume GT7 will be the same.

My advice is buy the relevant Nissan GT-Rs, everyone should drive them.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Race A has so far been hatchbacks that you get from menus. This week is the kart, and GTPlanet always has decent write-ups of a week on a Monday (I don't know how the youtubers I watch are doing guides yet): Gran Turismo 7 Daily Races: A La Kart

Race B and C will almost always be at least one of Gr.3 and Gr.4. There are a range of cars in both classes that can be successful, though the metas haven't really become evident yet. It's very dependent on track so far, and it should evolve over time (especially once they start trying to fix the BOP which determines what the power and weight ratings are in a class)

The Championship races will be a range of cars. The Manufacturers Cup lets you pick a Gr.3 and Gr.4 from one manufacturer which you use in the races for that series, and in GT Sport you could use those cars in other races for as long as you had them. I assume GT7 will be the same.

My advice is buy the relevant Nissan GT-Rs, everyone should drive them.
What is the manufacturers cup? from what I've seen, you choose a brand, and you get to keep those cars or something? how long does it last?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
What is the manufacturers cup? from what I've seen, you choose a brand, and you get to keep those cars or something? how long does it last?
Rather than the Daily Races which run every 20 or 30 minutes, the championship races are on set days with a limited number of slots. And unlike dailies where you can practice as much as you want and you always qualify with your best time when you enter a race, each slot has its own qualifying session pre-race.

In GT Sport the racers were mostly on Wednesdays and Saturdays, but they're doing some condensed test schedules in GT7 to... well, test things. It's not going well. I've not actually been able to race yet without getting kicked out. The new seasons were announced earlier and there's a lot of races on different days across the next two and a half weeks:

Nations: Opening of the 'Gran Turismo World Series' 2022 Nations Cup - Test Season 2 - Sport Mode - Gran Turismo 7 - gran-turismo.com

Manu: Opening of the 'Gran Turismo World Series' 2022 Manufacturers Cup - Test Season 2 - Sport Mode - Gran Turismo 7 - gran-turismo.com

From what I remember in GT Sport once you got the loaned cars you could keep and use them until you signed a new contract whenever there was a new season, but right now I wouldn't worry about that since the seasons are short and regular enough to let you change regularly. Plus once April hits and there are new/better paying single player events you'll be able to buy some more cars and try your own.

The championship races are what made me love GT Sport so much, so I'd definitely recommend trying to find some slots/days that work for you and giving these a try.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The more I play this game, the more I'm not liking it. These rolling starts starting in last is not a good racing experience. I constantly have to use an OP car with maxed tuning to catch up to the leader before the end of the race. So frustrating.

It’s the single biggest flaw in the game imo. It would be one thing if the rolling start had a close grouping, but I’ve had races where I’m 40 seconds behind at the start of a 4 lap race. That sort of deficit means you have to make risky passes, and all it takes is clipping the grass or a curb slightly wrong, and your 10 minute race is over. Or the even more enjoyable thing where you make a pass, and the AI clips the back corner of your car at the last second, spinning you out. I finally caved and lowered the difficulty, but then the challenge is gone entirely

Someone mentioned the rolling starts in the review I read and it's mind-blowing that they are still doing that lol, how hard is it to use a grid?

No kidding. Especially considering they’re an option, and they use them in some of the career races anyways (although I think I’ve only had like one). At the very least, you should be allowed to have an optional qualifying so you don’t have to start in last every time

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
been enjoying the daily race 3 races. got a 2nd in one and 3rd in the other. its really weird though, im a lot better than most of the field, lapping some players in some instances, except for the top drivers in which i would finish 15+ seconds behind. how does this game go about their match making?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
been enjoying the daily race 3 races. got a 2nd in one and 3rd in the other. its really weird though, im a lot better than most of the field, lapping some players in some instances, except for the top drivers in which i would finish 15+ seconds behind. how does this game go about their match making?
Your two ratings, Driver Rating (DR) and Sportsmanship Rating (SR) are the basis of the matchmaking. Your DR goes up and down depending on how well you do in a race relative to the other drivers' DR, and your SR goes up and down based on how cleanly you drive. If you make a lot of contact with people or get penalties, your SR will go down.

As far as I know the matchmaking is the same system as in GT Sport. If it is, the matchmaking goes by SR first. There's probably a mathematical/computery equivalent to compare this to but think of it this way. Out of all the people entering a race, it takes the SR first. All the people with maximum SR are grouped first, then they're split by DR. Say 100 people with max SR enter a race with 20 people in each. The first race would have the top 20 DR drivers, then the next would have 21-40 ranked, and so on. This is the same at other levels of SR, but once you get out of the maximum SR rank there's a much wider variation of DR on offer depending on what race you're in. You could have DR A in a race with DR C, and there would obviously be a big discrepancy in time.

If you're a brand new account with no races (GT7 carried over account ratings from GT Sport, meaning my DR A+ rating is currently in the process of going down the toilet) you start in DR E for five races, and with (I think) minimum SR. Once you do some races your ratings will settle down and you'll be matched against more people who are the same rating as you. If your SR isn't at max though you'll still run the risk of being in quite uneven lobbies, plus obviously the driving standards will probably be a lot lower. If it's the same system as GT Sport then a big drop in your SR can impact your DR too, so don't let that drop too far.

It's also worth pointing out that GT7 doesn't seem to allow third party websites to track stats (or make searching for liveries and decals much easier) the way GT Sport did, so you can only really go by the letter rankings which in themselves don't all mean the same thing. SR is ranked from 0-99, but although S goes as far down as 70-something, if your SR is below 91 then you won't be in the highest SR split. All of this is very clearly and logically explained in game, making Sport Mode really inviting and engaging for people new to it. Oh no wait that's not right.

The best advice I can give you is keep doing races and drive as cleanly as possible. By the time they've made Sport Mode at least as functional as GT Sport has been for years you should be in a good position to be competitive.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Won my first online daily race last night with a 25+ second margin. That included 2 penalties lol. Just shows what a lot of practice will do. Really enjoying the process of trying to get better.

Reactions: Ceremony

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Won my first online daily race last night with a 25+ second margin. That included 2 penalties lol. Just shows what a lot of practice will do. Really enjoying the process of trying to get better.
Definitely sounds like your ratings need to go up. You'll hit a wall eventually but you can always improve.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
Got a used PS4 the other day and am really tempted to pick this up. I have never been in the PS ecosystem but played a few way back in the day and am a huge car guy/forza fan.

Reading all this stuff on the micro transactions is kinda turning me off though. I actually think a bit of a grind is good, forza games can almost throw too many cars at you, but GT7 sounds absurd.

Really ambivalent on it right now.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Got a used PS4 the other day and am really tempted to pick this up. I have never been in the PS ecosystem but played a few way back in the day and am a huge car guy/forza fan.

Reading all this stuff on the micro transactions is kinda turning me off though. I actually think a bit of a grind is good, forza games can almost throw too many cars at you, but GT7 sounds absurd.

There's going to be an update that increases prize money and lets you sell cars. Should be a better grind with that implemented.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Buy it in a month or two and you'll be fine.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

The microtransactions have been blown out of proportion. It's not bad at all. The majority of the whiners haven't even played the game.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
If there's one thing this thread is proof of, it's that I've not played Gran Turismo 7!
Ok. Do you know what happens when you buy a top tier car and race against AI opponents? If you've played the game you'd know the answer.

I bough a Dodge Tomahawk (the concept motorcycle that had a Dodge Viper Engine in it and had a top speed of 350 MPH) and did AI races. They made a huge change with this release from Sport in regards to this.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Ok. Do you know what happens when you buy a top tier car and race against AI opponents? If you've played the game you'd know the answer.

I bough a Dodge Tomahawk (the concept motorcycle that had a Dodge Viper Engine in it and had a top speed of 350 MPH) and did AI races. They made a huge change with this release from Sport in regards to this.
What does this have to do with microtransactions?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
What does this have to do with microtransactions?
It's the definition of a microtransaction. It doesn't give you an advantage even though it's the fastest car you can buy in the game, on paper.

BUT...

When you use it in AI races, you're not paired up with slower cars as you were in Sport lapping the competitors left and right,, you're paired up with the exact same car and it's much much harder to win now.

That said, your initial claim is still incorrect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad