Nylander vs Pastrnak: may the best 6ft 29yo RW #88 win - how do you think they stack up ?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
They way the B's PGT was talking about Pastrnak last night reminded me more of Marner. :sarcasm:

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
If the Leafs win, it'll be good bragging rights for Willy with his buddy David.

This ^^

Nylander is great and he closed the gap on anyone in this league with his last year ! But I'd say it's bit easier for Leafs to focus on Pasta since there was a 50-point gap between him and 2nd Bruin.

But damn, these two are buddies since their time in junior in Sweden, right now Nylander is the man ! If we win this series, I can see Styles mentioning it every time they have dinner after Bruins -Leafs game ! As he should.

Also,do we need another jinx thread? Let their 60-goal scorer have another meh game. We should have thread that says, Pasta you're doing great, keep it up bro :D

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
If I were a Leaf I'd say ...

"Boston is built different this year"

This is their off year for sure, playing without adding C and with cap hit from DK and Bergy.

That being said, once you're up 3:1 it's uber-choke job second year in a row.

Reactions: arso40

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Over their careers Pastrnak has been a way more opportunistic, efficient and consistent producer than Nylander. He’s a lot scrappier and I think the difference to date is not that he does it better than Willie. But just more frequently.

Pasta did very well finding his role/line chemistry with the Bruins early on and he's done very well for himself, especially during the regular season

Hope he enjoyed watching Willy win the game for the Leaf last night though ;)

Reactions: arso40

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
This fits with my theory that Nylander is, in fact, a lizardman. It's highly likely that Willy and Pasta were hatched from the same clutch and are sharing the same notes on how to fit in with the rest of human society.

• Haha
Reactions: WildWolfdog

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I dunno evertime I switch on a Boston game I see Pasta shooting pucks into the crest and on a number of occasions miss a wide open net. Then I saw him take 50 seconds in the skills comp after Matty knocked em down in 9.

Probably sample size bias, but must be nice developing on the perfection line as opposed to Dubies team.

I like Willy, he floats and stings, which pisses some people off, but he's a gamer.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
We really gonna jinx ourselves into a breakout game 7 for Pastrnak with threads like these? Get this shit out of here.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
We really gonna jinx ourselves into a breakout game 7 for Pastrnak with threads like these? Get this shit out of here.

I say this with great confidence to help reassure you: this thread won’t determine the outcome of the Bruins Leafs Game 7 on Saturday.

Hope that helps

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
IMG_8312.jpeg

And he did

And Mitch Marner and Rielly dropped the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Both great. I pick the one who is still playing. That GWG was an all time great play and one people will remember like the Pat Kane Stanley cup winner. Certain plays are not forgotten
Very true.

Don’t forget he blew by Marner
IMG_8316.jpeg

And Rielly.

And had time to get the puck, go ACROSS the net, and score on a dump in breakaway.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
weird how this stuff works. Both had a rough series but Pasta scored the clincher and Willy flipped a puck in from the blue line and got another on an open net because a Bruin tripped in the corner so both will now be called big-time playoff performers.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
To be honest I'm hesitant getting drawn into comparisons and "whose better" stuff, but objectively speaking I noticed this one specific trait (contrast) between the 2. Pasta is inferior if we're focusing on skating and breaking systems down. Nylander has had a knack for skating through systems over the last 4 playoffs.

Last night was a good example. He made something out of nothing on goal 1. I haven't seen Pasta use his legs to open up lanes. He's more of a hunter, needs to get lost and hope his linemate finds him so he can unleash his elite shot.
You haven't seen enough of Pasta, then. He has great one-on-one skills, is fearless about going to the net, is an excellent playmaker. The Leafs targeted him and kept him in check for much of the series, and they were probably getting into his head a bit, but he is at least as skilled as Nylander (who is one of my favorite non-Bruins).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad