Gran Turismo 7

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm so glad they're bringing back the classic GT mode. Just seeing the dealerships and brought back so many memories. I didn't have any interest in GT Sport but this really feels like Gran Turismo again.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Very excited for this. I haven't really played a GT game since GT3 on PS2 (I bought Sport when it was on sale and only played it for an hour or so). I've been a Forza guy over the last 15 years or so, but now I opted for a PS5 so this looks right up my alley.

I'll wait for reviews (I think the embargo is March 2nd?) before buying it though.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The only thing that concerns me is having to always be online. Not a huge deal most of the time but on that rare occasion when there is an outage, I would still like to be able to play through the campaign.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The only thing that concerns me is having to always be online. Not a huge deal most of the time but on that rare occasion when there is an outage, I would still like to be able to play through the campaign.

Wait really? Hmm, I really hate that. It turned me off from all the new Hitman games. I like keeping my games forever and always being able to play them, depending on a server to be up to play a single player game I bought just feels wrong.

I'm still gonna buy it at some point since I miss the classic mode so much but that sucks. Maybe now I'll wait for a sale out of mild protest.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Wait really? Hmm, I really hate that. It turned me off from all the new Hitman games. I like keeping my games forever and always being able to play them, depending on a server to be up to play a single player game I bought just feels wrong.

I'm still gonna buy it at some point since I miss the classic mode so much but that sucks. Maybe now I'll wait for a sale out of mild protest.
Ya, ppl weren't really making a fuss about it since GT Sport was the same way but GT Sport didn't have a career mode. I just find it very annoying.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I want to get this but I also want to get a wheel if I get this. So this is an expensive game to play for me. Haven’t played a racing game in forever and love the vehicle choices GT brings.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I want to get this but I also want to get a wheel if I get this. So this is an expensive game to play for me. Haven’t played a racing game in forever and love the vehicle choices GT brings.
A wheel is cool but not necessary in a simcade like this. If it were something like iRacing then I would say for sure get a wheel. A controller for this game will work just fine.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
A wheel is cool but not necessary in a simcade like this. If it were something like iRacing then I would say for sure get a wheel. A controller for this game will work just fine.

oh yeah I’m sure it will be fine but it’s just a personal preference that if I decide to get it I want to “treat myself” and go all in. I think a wheel would be fun as hell as I’ve never done it with racing games at home before.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
oh yeah I’m sure it will be fine but it’s just a personal preference that if I decide to get it I want to “treat myself” and go all in. I think a wheel would be fun as hell as I’ve never done it with racing games at home before.
It is. Gets a little getting used to. Tiring as hell as well lol. Nonetheless, very fun.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Not rubberbanding, just as bad, slow and stupid as they ever were.
For all its positives, Gran Turismo 7 is not perfect. While the game marks the triumphant return to the classic, single-player gameplay experience that made the series famous, it stumbles when it comes to the actual racing itself.
The computer-controlled cars — I hesitate to use the term “artificial intelligence” here — are shockingly bad drivers. Even on the most difficult opponent settings, they are laughably slow and downright hazardous to drive against.
Most of the races consist of rolling starts, with you starting all the way at the back of the field. Your task, then, is not really to race against the other cars, but simply to pass them all before you run out of laps. This has been unfortunately typical in Gran Turismo games for quite some time now, but the implementation in GT7 is somehow more egregious and frustrating than ever. For such a highly polished and otherwise brilliantly executed game, this awkward gameplay mechanic stands out.
The problem is exaggerated by the fact that Gran Turismo 7’s main characters are essentially the cars themselves, many of which you will first be exposed to as opponents in these opening races. It is strange, then, and somewhat embarrassing to see a car sputtering around the track, right after you have just been told about its impressive performance characteristics. If the car is so good, why is it struggling to pass another car thirty or forty years its senior? The whole situation creates a sort of awkward disconnect between what the game is telling you versus what it’s actually showing you.
For example, when Luca is teaching you about American muscle cars, you’ll find yourself racing against a field of Mustangs, Corvettes, and Vipers. Yet, when I fought my way to the front of the pack in one of the races, I found they were all being led by an old and famously underpowered Delorean. Now, I understand what’s actually going on here, but what does that tell someone who doesn’t know much about cars?
This kind of stuff directly undermines the world that Gran Turismo 7 works so hard to build, and that’s a shame. Even if we concede that Gran Turismo has poor artificial intelligence, in a game that showcases such exquisite attention to detail, it seems baffling it would not pay mind to the running order of the cars you will actually see in the races. This is a sort of low-hanging fruit that Polyphony should really take advantage of.
There is hope that the recently announced Gran Turismo Sophy — a powerful new artificial intelligence system developed in collaboration with Sony AI — can bring improvements in this area. However, we don’t yet know when Sophy will arrive in the game, nor do we know exactly how its technology will be implemented in the game’s single-player modes.

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-7-review-return-of-the-king/

oof

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
For all its positives, Gran Turismo 7 is not perfect. While the game marks the triumphant return to the classic, single-player gameplay experience that made the series famous, it stumbles when it comes to the actual racing itself.
The computer-controlled cars — I hesitate to use the term “artificial intelligence” here — are shockingly bad drivers. Even on the most difficult opponent settings, they are laughably slow and downright hazardous to drive against.
Most of the races consist of rolling starts, with you starting all the way at the back of the field. Your task, then, is not really to race against the other cars, but simply to pass them all before you run out of laps. This has been unfortunately typical in Gran Turismo games for quite some time now, but the implementation in GT7 is somehow more egregious and frustrating than ever. For such a highly polished and otherwise brilliantly executed game, this awkward gameplay mechanic stands out.
The problem is exaggerated by the fact that Gran Turismo 7’s main characters are essentially the cars themselves, many of which you will first be exposed to as opponents in these opening races. It is strange, then, and somewhat embarrassing to see a car sputtering around the track, right after you have just been told about its impressive performance characteristics. If the car is so good, why is it struggling to pass another car thirty or forty years its senior? The whole situation creates a sort of awkward disconnect between what the game is telling you versus what it’s actually showing you.
For example, when Luca is teaching you about American muscle cars, you’ll find yourself racing against a field of Mustangs, Corvettes, and Vipers. Yet, when I fought my way to the front of the pack in one of the races, I found they were all being led by an old and famously underpowered Delorean. Now, I understand what’s actually going on here, but what does that tell someone who doesn’t know much about cars?
This kind of stuff directly undermines the world that Gran Turismo 7 works so hard to build, and that’s a shame. Even if we concede that Gran Turismo has poor artificial intelligence, in a game that showcases such exquisite attention to detail, it seems baffling it would not pay mind to the running order of the cars you will actually see in the races. This is a sort of low-hanging fruit that Polyphony should really take advantage of.
There is hope that the recently announced Gran Turismo Sophy — a powerful new artificial intelligence system developed in collaboration with Sony AI — can bring improvements in this area. However, we don’t yet know when Sophy will arrive in the game, nor do we know exactly how its technology will be implemented in the game’s single-player modes.

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-7-review-return-of-the-king/

oof
Yeah, well, not really any different to the AI in Sport. I wasn't expecting much. Hopefully Sophy gets worked out for public consumption sooner rather than later.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It's getting pretty solid reviews across the board, the vast majority generally fall between 8.5 - 9.0/10. The main complaints seem to be the music, lack of addition of newer cars, and that it's more of an evolution of previous games rather than being innovative.

I'll definitely be grabbing it, excited to get back into the series again.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I'm so glad they're bringing back the classic GT mode. Just seeing the dealerships and brought back so many memories. I didn't have any interest in GT Sport but this really feels like Gran Turismo again.

Sport was fun but it was really lacking across the board.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm not really one for racers, but the graphics in this game look pretty incredible. I'd probably give it a go if it becomes super cheap in the future at some point. A buddy of mine who is a big car guy is pretty stoked, so that's cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad