Grading the draft

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The only thing that was disappointing is that they didn't move anyone from the current roster for additional picks

Exactly what I feared from inexperience at the GM position without a true GM of over valuing assets and not able to complete trades but to be strong at the draft lead by Hunter and his scouts.

Not a single roster player traded for a single pick.

If your building through the draft and moving vets out the draft is the pressure point.

Drafting Grade : B+
Trading Vets for Picks: F

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
I'm gonna give it a solid "I have no earthly ****ing idea because it literally just happened"/10.... but definitely an A+ on the new philosophy.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
A for sure. I think we've just added 6/7 first round talents in players who fell for various reasons. This was a HUGE talent injection for our pipeline.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
B.

Positives:
- Trading Down.
- High-End Skill.
- Hockey IQ.

Negatives:
- Size (or lack thereof).
- No Trading of Roster Players.
- Only 1 Swede (given the success rate, it only makes sense to draft more often).
- Drafting certain players above their draft slot.

The most interesting thing about this draft is we went after so many high-risk/high-reward types that the results won't be known for years. This could be a huge coup or we could end up with nothing.

I liked that we moved away from USHL/US High School/NCAA types which we saw under Burke and Nonis. They just take too long to develop and I think your more likely to find a player in the CHL and Europe.

I would have picked Hanifin over Marner, but I don't see it as either a positive or negative. We're getting a great player either way.

The reason I gave it a 'B' is I don't believe it was an exceptional draft, though it could certainly turn into one. I'm not leaving disappointed, and I'm not leaving elated, I'm just happy with what we got. A solid first draft for Shanahan and crew.

Shwaguy*

I agree with this 100%. Really like the picks. Kind of upset we didn't get Koenecny or Merkley but oh well.

I'm more than happy with Dermott (Stud IMO, confident he'll become part of our core), and Bracco for Konecky or Merkley, and I'm a big fan of Merkley

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
A no doubt. I am beyond impressed with what our management team was able to do. Even not trading Kessel and Phaneuf will prove to be smart if all we were getting were low ball offers.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
B-

Trading back and getting Dermott instead of one of the higher rated guys was a disappointment

Rest of the picks were fine. Bracco in the 3rd and Korostelev in the 7th were great value picks. Wish we hadn't skipped on Dergachyov though.

You realize we don't get Bracco without trading back, right?

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
A-

Would have liked to grab a two-way C with some size like Harkins and would have prefered Kylington over Dermott but really happy with the amount of high end skill we added. Talented boom/bust prospects like Timashov and Kostelev are exactly the types of players we should be using late round picks on.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Exactly what I feared from inexperience at the GM position without a true GM of over valuing assets and not able to complete trades but to be strong at the draft lead by Hunter and his scouts.

If your building through the draft and moving vets out the draft is the pressure point.

Problem is we don't know what offers were out there, or if there was any interest. I'd chalk some of it up to inexperience but at the same time look at what happened with Boston and their new GM ... The return the Leafs could have gotten may have been subpar (then complaining would be about the return).

There's still a large window to get deals done this off-season and I like the idea of grabbing 2016 first rounders from teams bubble teams that might be looking to push ahead into the playoffs. If they fall out, that's another lotto ticket of the Leafs next year.

Shwaguy*

Jesus christ, stop complaining, we just killed it and well have plenty of picks next year, there's lot's of offseason to be had.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'd probably give it a B+.

They did a good job going for skill for most of their picks. A few seemed to not match that overall plan, but as a whole they tried to get skill and didn't let size bother them.

But, part of this draft event was the trade front and that didn't go great. The core is still there and now we move to the rest of the offseason hoping and waiting to see if they can move any of these guys.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
We shouldn't be tying in the draft grade to the off-season grade to be honest .. If the Leafs don't move any contracts out this off-season then it's a definite F on management's part

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

No question - I agree with you

I am still hopeful that they are going to trade both Bozak and Kessel after July 1st

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
C+ For me

Looks like not much of a market for our players. Understandably with all those bloated contracts and term.

We pulled in a great draft and added a decent roster player while not giving any roster players up.

Consider what depth players went for and it might be a good sign that Leafs aren't rushing deals. The asking price for Bozak was a 2nd rounder apparently, it's much easier to get that at the TDL. I'd be happy if they just waited because al ot of those 2nd/3rd line guys who can score or PK will be worth much more around TDL.

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
The Leafs clearly established their plans moving forward - draft a core. This is the part of the rebuild where you have to look for guys with high-upside, and the Leafs nailed that with McDermott and Bracco.

A- because we weren't able to move any core players for picks, but the drafting gives me a lot of hope for the future.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
People have to realise though that you should really only draft so many players in one year, because of development time, and the amount of contract that you can carry, must sign CHL player 2 years after being draft, etc. It sounds great that we could trade everyone for picks and have 20 picks in total, but you're better off spreading those picks out over a couple drafts, ie 2016 and 2017. So if the current roster players retun higher picks, but next year, you just have to be patient.

ZINFINITY16

Dec 29, 2013
Ontario
A for prospects and drafting. This may be one of the best Leafs drafts I've ever seen. I absolutely love it!!

And C+ on trades, happy about the movedowns and Marincin trades but we didn't move any roster players

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
Would people have preferred this draft (given the smaller skilled guys we were able to get later on.

4 - TOR NOAH HANIFIN 24 - TOR TRAVIS KONECNY 65 - TOR JEREMY BRACCO (assumes he is on the board still) 95 - TOR JESPER LINDGREN D SWE 5' 11" 161 SWEDEN-JR. MODO JR. 125 - TOR DMYTRO TIMASHOV LW UKR 5' 9" 192 QMJHL QUEBEC 155 - TOR STEPHEN DESROCHER D CAN 6' 3" 198 OHL OSHAWA 185 - TOR NIKITA KOROSTELEV RW RUS 6' 1" 195 OHL SARNIA How would you rate it?[/QUOTE said:
would this be a better / more balanced outcome to the draft??

or are the 2 additional picks that much better?

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I think the most underrated player that we drafted this year was Dermott. We could have a special player there in a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad