Boston Bruins Grade the Bruins Deadline

Grade?

• Total voters

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think it's a good comparison. We added slightly better versions of Kelly and Peverley. The problem is we still have a Nate Horton sized hole in our top6. Those old acquisitions were great because the top6 was already set. Now we have to hope one of "Kelly or Peverley" or maybe a kid who's struggled all year will rise up and fill that hole. Not impossible, but also clearly not Sweeney's first choice for how he hoped this would all play out.

how do we honestly stack up man for man against 2011?

Bergeron-Bergeron... seems hes improved with age
marchand-marchand… definitely improved with age
backes-recchi… might have to give the edge to 2011 for the old man
pastrnak-seguin... no contest
krejci-krejci...I say its pretty much a draw {score 3-1-1 for current lineup}
debrusk-lucic… lucic was a beast
Heinen-Horton... got to go with Horton
coyle-peverly… id rather have coyle
johanson-kelly… toss up I guess... different type of players (4-3-2)
wagner-campbell... another toss up
Kuraly-paille… edge to kuraly
accari-thornton... got to love thornton here
Nordstrom-ryder… and edge to ryder

its a very close matchup... I score it 5-5-3

we are deep enough we should be fairly happy. in a cap era there are no 1982 ny islanders anymore

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Again, the problem is not what he did or didn’t do at the deadline. The problem is what he didn’t do all summer and all season long.

We had a huge hole on the top6 and he did nothing to address that.

The question is why.

Why wait that long to do something everyone and their grandmother knows must be done, and then do next to nothing nearly a year later?

I don't particularly think it's about penny pinching. I think it's about bad free agent signings, questionable to good drafting, and hoping young prospects will continue to develop or step in to fill naked needs. If "Trader Don" was gambling on the latter -- as appears to be the case -- he lost. I have nothing against the kids but they simply weren't ready to assume 2nd line/3rd line duty.

That's on Sweeney.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Actually, it was a Harvard Sq bar that closed in 2001 but it had a zillion stories in its 9-year run.

1928238_1113513270747_1682044_n.jpg
1928238_1113513310748_634801_n.jpg

The owner quickly realized that the NHL was a huge profit center for him and bringing in CBC from Montreal via satellite during the playoffs made it the best hockey bar in Boston.

I believe you've clarified the event in question several times for me. Cheers.

Reactions: Fenway

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Marcus Johansson is 38th in PPG for LWers who have played at least 30 games this season, 37th in GPG(31st and 33rd over the last 3 seasons).

Even if you say there are only 25 true 1st line caliber and 25 true 2nd line caliber LWs he still easily falls into the second category this season and in recent history. This is all while dealing with a couple concussions throughout this time.

He has played in the top 6 on multiple different playoff teams, has 8 points in his last 16 playoff games, and 15 in his last 28. He is 21st in playoff PPG for LWs since 2015-16. Even if there are only 12 true top liners and 24 true 2nd line LWers in the POs he's still in there.

For reference, Mark Stone has 13 points in 27 playoff games, Nyquist has 8 in 41.

If this guy is a 3rd liner then you have a very deep offence because this guy produces like a true top 6 forward both in the regular season and the playoffs. Calling him a 3rd liner just makes you come off as someone who ignores facts so they can continue to pursue an agenda.

Thank you. Does he "disappear," though, as I've heard? Not snark. Honest question.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Actually, it is. If they hit the end of their ELC's and they aren't even close to making the NHL there has to be some cause for concern with their development. Not all prospects hit, but we were all hoping at least one would make the third line this year if not more. None did. None survived (Bjork, JFK, Donato, Frederic, Cehalrik, Senyshyn, Zobril, Lauzon) forcing themselves on the team but I'd rather them be overripe in the AHL then underprepared for the NHL.

Either way, he had to spend assets to shore up the 3rd line which none of us saw coming.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
None did. None survived (Bjork, JFK, Donato, Frederic, Cehalrik, Senyshyn, Zobril, Lauzon) forcing themselves on the team but I'd rather them be overripe in the AHL then underprepared for the NHL.

Either way, he had to spend assets to shore up the 3rd line which none of us saw coming.

What, truly, is the consensus on these two?? Since 2015, I've heard little. Honestly, does anyone know how they're doing? Sensing bust.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

we are deep enough we should be fairly happy. in a cap era there are no 1982 ny islanders anymore

For me, the X factor is that the 2011 Lightning were a B/B+ team.

This years version is an A-/A.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

The 2011 team was one of the few underdogs to win the Cup in recent memory. They also had a very different identity and were able to outmuscle and intimidate Vancouver. This team doesn't have that particular weapon. That's not to say this team doesn't have it's own weapons, the PP being one.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The question is why.

Why wait that long to do something everyone and their grandmother knows must be done, and then do next to nothing nearly a year later?

I don't particularly think it's about penny pinching. I think it's about bad free agent signings, questionable to good drafting, and hoping young prospects will continue to develop or step in to fill naked needs. If "Trader Don" was gambling on the latter -- as appears to be the case -- he lost. I have nothing against the kids but they simply weren't ready to assume 2nd line/3rd line duty.

That's on Sweeney.

So, the B’s are lacking in 2nd/3rd line talent and you say that’s on Sweeney for not acquiring those players. Then you ask why he didn’t fix it.

The “why” is pretty easy. FA signings are always a gamble and not a good “fix”, but that’s what happens when you don’t have any homegrown talent on the team between the ages of 25-30.

The culprit? Go back and look at the absolutely ABYSMAL Chia drafts from 2007-2011. There is not a single player from any of those five drafts on the B’s roster.

Let that sink in.

31 players drafted over that five year period. Only 4 of those players played an NHL game this year (Seguin, Spooner, Dougie, Hutchinson)...none of them with the B’s.

Teams don’t have to go out and sign/trade for Top 9 F’s/Top 4 D when they draft and develop them. Might be why Sweeney is so reticent about dealing prospects and picks?

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
Donato for Coyle = A

picks for Johansson = F

in total, C-. not great. even my six year old knows that adding a negative is subtraction. as if the Bruins felt compelled to take some other team's minus leader after dumping their own. not smart.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
What, truly, is the consensus on these two?? Since 2015, I've heard little. Honestly, does anyone know how they're doing? Sensing bust.

I am so curious about Senyshyn. He has some serious speed and is a big kid. Also plays RW.

Outside of seeing some P-Bruins highlights, all I hear is that he is a work in progress. And to be fair, that was the line from the beginning so maybe all is going according to plan.

Reactions: GordonHowe

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
For me, the X factor is that the 2011 Lightning were a B/B+ team.

This years version is an A-/A.

while not as deep or skilled as they are now, if not mistaken, both they and the B`s finished with 103 pts and that Bolts team was much like the B`s, a solid yet unspectacular team who I`m not sure a ton of fans of the game gave much of a chance to win the cup. Still had St Louis, Vinny and Stamkos , a young Hedman. It was a series of very evenly matched teams

Reactions: sarge88

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I am so curious about Senyshyn. He has some serious speed and is a big kid. Also plays RW.

Outside of seeing some P-Bruins highlights, all I hear is that he is a work in progress. And to be fair, that was the line from the beginning so maybe all is going according to plan.
yeah but that`s not the plan on Hf:naughty:

All I recall from draft day was that he was going to be an exercise in patience as he`ll be a bit of a project. Honestly, I`m a bit more suprised/disappointed we haven`t seen Zboril take bigger strides to this point, really thought, even though he`s a D-man, that he`d be ready sooner

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
wasn't crazy about trading Donato but what is done is done,not selling the farm and moves made will help the Bruins

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
wasn't crazy about trading Donato but what is done is done,not selling the farm and moves made will help the Bruins
yep, although I gave the deadline a B+, it`s really hard to accurately give a grade until the time comes where Pasta returns and Coyle isn`t left with Nordy and Backes as his wingers, you have to give him at least one guy who can do some damage offensively. I can envision him creating a nice chemistry with Heinen who thinks the game very well

Reactions: BiGBear8

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
So, the B’s are lacking in 2nd/3rd line talent and you say that’s on Sweeney for not acquiring those players. Then you ask why he didn’t fix it.

The “why” is pretty easy. FA signings are always a gamble and not a good “fix”, but that’s what happens when you don’t have any homegrown talent on the team between the ages of 25-30.

The culprit? Go back and look at the absolutely ABYSMAL Chia drafts from 2007-2011. There is not a single player from any of those five drafts on the B’s roster.

Let that sink in.

31 players drafted over that five year period. Only 4 of those players played an NHL game this year (Seguin, Spooner, Dougie, Hutchinson)...none of them with the B’s.

Teams don’t have to go out and sign/trade for Top 9 F’s/Top 4 D when they draft and develop them. Might be why Sweeney is so reticent about dealing prospects and picks?
Ya I always looked at that stretch and think how? How the f*** is it possible to miss so badly so many times lol.

The Seguin trade really didn’t help matters either I guess.

I haven’t looked all that closely at it but maybe there’s a few guys in the summer in that age bracket they can take a run at that won’t break the bank.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
B or B- from me..

Nothing flashy.

Coyle and MoJo help the team and are solid players who can play some defense, and chip in points..

We didn't exactly get the top 6 RW we needed but we still did alright without overpaying really..

I'd of loved to see Boston go after Zucker...He'd of been a great fit here and gets so many scoring chances.

The team can compete if they stay healthy.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

Please compare us to Tampa of today (or Nashville or Winnipeg)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Please compare us to Tampa of today (or Nashville or Winnipeg)

Lets play the game on the ice

I remember vancouver fans lol... one said its too bad we cant throw a game in boston so we can have the cup on home ice.

They thought we didnt match up

In first round... no one thought we would beat montreal. They cried and whinned in gameday thread lets fire chiarelli and julien... we suck

Honestly if i ever had any respect for the fans ability to judge the team i lost it in 2011 (but i really didnt have any before that either)

Truth is most teams have a good chance of going to game 7 first round... many games will goto overtime... the odds of more than 2 blowout series is astronomical.

When the games are played... the teams are pretty close. Its more about something going wrong when a blowout occurs not something going right

Lucky bounces, hot goaltending, favorable ref calls... that means more than a second line 25 goal rw

Lets play the games and find out how we all compare but it might be 23-24 man on depth chart that makesdifference by the time we matchup because playoffs involve injuries too

Comparing today doesnt matter... time for comparison is may/june

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad