Boston Bruins Grade the Bruins Deadline

Grade?

• Total voters

member 96824

I gave a C+. I'll own that...mostly based on Marcus Jo who's been great so far. All over the puck, making smart effective plays that are creating some seriously pretty scoring chances.

It's only 1.66 games so far as I'm writing this, but looks like a great acquisition for this team in the stretch run. It's good to see the pro scouting team win one for sure. Excited to see how all of the pieces fit together with a full roster.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What about ZS?
same applies, I`m one who , unless universally deemed "sure thing" has always felt a prospect needs anywhere from 3-5 years, many won`t agree with it but I still feel this way and Senyshyn was never a guy I heard anyone speak about in terms of being a kid who`ll fast track through the minors, he was always viewed as a kid with all the tools who will be a project.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
same applies, I`m one who , unless universally deemed "sure thing" has always felt a prospect needs anywhere from 3-5 years, many won`t agree with it but I still feel this way and Senyshyn was never a guy I heard anyone speak about in terms of being a kid who`ll fast track through the minors, he was always viewed as a kid with all the tools who will be a project.

I get that, and I agree. This isn't 1953, however. Right or wrong, clubs want prospects playing in the NHL. Few can afford to let them, as the credo of late era Red Wings dynasty had it, "marinate."

I feel these two will be high end busts. I really do.

It's a feeling, and I'd be happy to be wrong. It's just a vibe.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I know I didn't grade him well. Maybe a C or D. My biggest complaint was that I didn't think they would be hard to play against, which is
what you need for the playoffs. I hope I am wrong. We will see come playoffs, but so far the new guys have been good, and the team has played excellent with them.

The Garden

Oct 6, 2018
@easton117

This is a response to this post: Post-Game Talk: - 2019 NHL TRADE DEADLINE PART 3 - Marcus Johansson to Bruins

Theoretically the Bruins could have made a trade like Vaak + 1st for Stone and Cehlarik + 2nd for Hoffman to get two legit Top 6 talents and make this team on a similar level on paper to Tampa. But while the Bruins winning a playoff series against Tampa (even now) wouldn't exactly be an upset, it would also still be unlikely. Tampa is definitely the league favorite this season.

The problem with those trades above is that you are severely hurting this team's future to go for it all in one season, and now is not the time to do that. I'm pretty sure the Stars would trade Iginla for Nieuwendyk again, but we are not one or two players away from the Cup. The best thing to do right now is stick with the core we have and let it grow together - and make small additions when appropriate.

Another key thing is that the Bruins' main issue against Tampa in 2018 was lack of depth, and these trades addressed that directly. We are in a much better position than last season to win against Tampa, which is really all we can ask for.

Reactions: Trizz617

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I get that, and I agree. This isn't 1953, however. Right or wrong, clubs want prospects playing in the NHL. Few can afford to let them, as the credo of late era Red Wings dynasty had it, "marinate."

I feel these two will be high end busts. I really do.

It's a feeling, and I'd be happy to be wrong. It's just a vibe.
you might be right, we shall see. I understand that in a cap era we will always see teams put kids out there to keep some costs down, still not ready to close the door on either prospect but also realize we may not see it happen in this organization but I would argue we`ll see both playing regular shifts at some point in the NHL, Bruins or otherwise, will they live up to their draft spot? Probably not, they sure ain`t the first to do that though

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I dropped a b+ but man. I feel like i was wrong. So far this team has been way better.

Coyle has literally fixed the third line. He dominates the play along the boards. He creates a lot of offence too even though he has no points.

Johansson is fast and skilled. Another huge upgrade on the second line. I should have known this move was underrated.

Reactions: TCB

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
you might be right, we shall see. I understand that in a cap era we will always see teams put kids out there to keep some costs down, still not ready to close the door on either prospect but also realize we may not see it happen in this organization but I would argue we`ll see both playing regular shifts at some point in the NHL, Bruins or otherwise, will they live up to their draft spot? Probably not, they sure ain`t the first to do that though

Yes, but as a media type noted, the fact that we haven't seen ZS (JZ, maybe a game or two last year) up here is telling. Especially with the many injuries this season.

What does that say? About their play up to this point. About Sweeney?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yes, but as a media type noted, the fact that we haven't seen ZS (JZ, maybe a game or two last year) up here is telling. Especially with the many injuries this season.

What does that say? About their play up to this point. About Sweeney?

What does this have to do with GRADING THE DEADLINE?

Would it kill people to not infect every single thread with 2015 draft whining?

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I dropped a b+ but man. I feel like i was wrong. So far this team has been way better.

Coyle has literally fixed the third line. He dominates the play along the boards. He creates a lot of offence too even though he has no points.

Johansson is fast and skilled. Another huge upgrade on the second line. I should have known this move was underrated.
I gave an F, but I'm thinking I may have been a little too harsh. I like both guys so far.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I gave him a reactionary D+ still hate giving up in Donato so early. Really like the both players tho. IMO you needed both of them + a top 6 RW.

And what do you think that top 6 RW would have cost at the deadline? It would have been whole lot more than Ryan Donato who at the time wasn’t even on an NHL roster

Reactions: HOLDEN44FAN

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Jury is still out for me to early,Yeah the team is winning,but they were winning before the new guys were brought in.Stats wise ,I believe 1 assist between the two of them so far,only been 3 games so way to early to make a judgement for me.Debrusk is definitely playing better,but that had started before the player movement.Third line has looked better with Coyle ,but so far don’t believe any points.So like I said two early to tell,and can’t say because the Bruins are winning it’s because of the new guys,because they have been winning before that.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
And what do you think that top 6 RW would have cost at the deadline? It would have been whole lot more than Ryan Donato who at the time wasn’t even on an NHL roster
Well maybe you saved Donato as one of the pieces to send for a top 6 RW. At the same time this likely should have been addressed in the offseason before this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad