Flyers' History: Grade The 2024 Trade Deadline

Grade

• Total voters

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
The Walker trade was a very good move, even better if they can somehow flip Johansen next season for anything. The Seeler extension isn't good, and the Johnson trade is very bad (could have just picked someone off waivers for nothing if they knew Walker was being moved or traded for Dumba). A draft pick for cap space was a solid move as well. Not moving Laughton was also a bad move.

Overall I'd say a C for Briere. He would have done better if he also moved Seeler and didn't trade for Johnson. IMO as s whole, the moves showed a clear lack of direction.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Some things that I didn't like, Some things I did. It's about what I expected. I figured they'd keep Seeler and Trade Walker. Thought that Walker was going to get a 2nd. The add on fifth gave me Fletcher flashbacks. Then they got a fifth back, ended up dropping a 4th in the EJ move. Ideally they should have walked away from this deadline gaining more picks and prospects...i would have like to have somehow picked up a young reclamation project.

The Allison move is whatever...the guy wasn't gonna play here if the reports are true that he had a fractured relationship with torts and lappy after being sent down. Instead of picking up a player for him, it would have been better to get a draft pick of some level back.

I personally am happy they didn't go and spend on a backup goalie. Let Ers play and then when Kolosov comes over see what you have.

Lets say you win the round vs the Hurricanes...then you play the rangers. I hope but don't foresee a very long run.

At some point in the next year or so, they're gonna need to get an established russian player that will be here for Michkov. Maybe they are hoping Guryanov figures out how to turn it around and be a contributor for the next little while.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I truly think fundamentally the divide in this sub comes from people who wanted and or expected a Hinkie type teardown versus people who wanted and or expected a more traditional rebuild (some vets and not necessarily pushing for the worst record in the league).

I’m not gonna say one side is wrong and one is right. I would’ve preferred a complete Process teardown, but I recognize history has shown it’s not the only way.
I think this is exactly the case. I think most of us would be more excited with the full Hinkie Process but the thing is, there are no guarantees. The Sixers have yet to get beyond the 2nd round despite having two #1 overall picks (one of whom is a I clear generational, and maybe all-time talent) and two #3 overall picks. And a #10 overall as well if I remember correctly. From 2010 to 2016 the Oilers drafted overall 1, 19, 1, 1, 7, 3, 1, 4 and still haven’t won a Cup.

I know Briere wants to rebuild. I don’t know the details of his plan, but as long as he has a plan and follows through on it, I’m ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: tucson83

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It was a C. easily.

It was a team that sold but then also bought. It lacked direction. It didn't really help us long term or even short term. An extra first is nice. Everything else is very underwhelming
The confliction of long versus short term probably comes from having a three headed leadership. I can see Briere wanting to make more changes than we saw today and looking long. Then Tortorella looking short term and wanting to fight for a PO spot. He wanted players to plug the current roster holes. Hence the EJ move since Risto and Drysdale are most likely done for the season and Seeler might be as well.
Jones is caught in the middle of this and wants to satisfy both sides here.
IMO, this front office set up is doomed to fail. One of the three has to have the final call and the other two need to fall in line. The GM and the HC should work together but personnel calls are the domain of the GM.
My sense is that Briere wants to make a big splash this summer. Four first round selections in two years as well as a surplus of decent wings is a lot of ammo. If he could drop three of them to acquire a Zegras type player, I can see him doing it. He doesn’t need a HC telling him not to do that or threatening to not properly utilize him if he gets said player. This FO is going to have to straighten out its power structure or it’s not going to succeed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I truly think fundamentally the divide in this sub comes from people who wanted and or expected a Hinkie type teardown versus people who wanted and or expected a more traditional rebuild (some vets and not necessarily pushing for the worst record in the league).

I’m not gonna say one side is wrong and one is right. I would’ve preferred a complete Process teardown, but I recognize history has shown it’s not the only way.
It was getting reported that that’s exactly what they wanted to do. ASF and Friedman both went there. Believe the quote from Friedman was that Briere wanted to tear it down ti the studs. They’re the ones who said out loud no shortcuts.

Reactions: renberg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I disagree because they’re doing neither, as I see it. A full on tear down is rarely discussed because we know it’s not happening. The divide is debating whether they’re rebuilding at all. And judging them on the merits of their plan.

What about this team says traditional rebuild?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Grades are dumb and someone already stole my joke.

The Flyers are trying to have their cake and eat it too. Two moves for the future. Two moves for the now. Pick a lane.

Regardless of what you think of the actual moves, what is their path to building a sustained contender? We talked about whether you need to bottom out and draft in the top 5/10 for multiple seasons. This team is not going to do that and they already traded their one top 5 pick for what looks like an underwhelming return. So what's next? How do they take the next step?

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
Heres why I went with a C grade some may agree, some may not, but this is why I went with a C

Walker trade A-, I give it an A- because getting a first round pick back was good value. Sending out the 5th bumped it down to a minus because it didn't seem necessary after taking ryjo.

Gurianov for Allison C+ (Can't be to positive or to negative) Both players showed promise and have seemed to flame out, but gurianov was always a better player than Allison imo.

Ej trade F, several phantoms players are better than him at this stage of his career and I feel it was a complete waste of a potential asset.

Seeler extension is a D, I really like seeler and what he brings and how he plays, but his age hurts him here, a rebuilding team should have moved on from a bottom pair defender when his value was like a 2-3 that was a complete failure by the organization, I understand the move not to, but you can't promise a rebuild and do things like this, you lose credibility, and the signing is much worse with the ntc

Not moving laughton D, asf hinted there may have been a team who offered a 1st, and if that's the case then they completely shit the bed, but there's also been no confirmation that they were actually offered a 1st, again they say you can't fall in love with any one player, and Danny spent the entire press conference gushing over him. (D based off potential offer)

Like I mentioned b4, I expected worse things to happen but was surprised, but it also wasn't that great of a deadline with all things considered

Last edited:

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Literally they're trying to stay in the middle. This is a good thing in some situations but not for a sports franchise. Being in the middle is the worse spot. You either go big or you sell it all off and completely rebuild. If you try to stay in the middle it ends up like a family argument where you really see both sides but you end up dragged into the mud by both sides cause.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Regardless of what you think of the actual moves, what is their path to building a sustained contender? We talked about whether you need to bottom out and draft in the top 5/10 for multiple seasons. This team is not going to do that and they already traded their one top 5 pick for what looks like an underwhelming return. So what's next? How do they take the next step?

Florida is the new model specifically because they did it largely secondhand. It’s the same thing as the St Louis model. Start with the approach that you want for ideological reasons and then find a team that pulled it off. That’s your proof of concept in perpetuity.

I accept that this is possible but the most difficult way to go about it. What are the odds they agree with that? That they would ever pull the trigger on shipping out Huberdeau + Weegar equivalents? They can’t even let go of Nick Seeler.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Florida is the new model specifically because they did it largely secondhand. It’s the same thing as the St Louis model. Start with the approach that you want for ideological reasons and then find a team that pulled it off. That’s your proof of concept in perpetuity.

I accept that this is possible but the most difficult way to go about it. What are the odds they agree with that? That they would ever pull the trigger on shipping out Huberdeau + Weegar equivalents? They can’t even let go of Nick Seeler.
They can't even churn the waiver wire. Florida, the favorite in the east, put in a waiver claim on deadline day. I don't think he's good, but that's how they walked into Forsling.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Literally they're trying to stay in the middle. This is a good thing in some situations but not for a sports franchise. Being in the middle is the worse spot. You either go big or you sell it all off and completely rebuild. If you try to stay in the middle it ends up like a family argument where you really see both sides but you end up dragged into the mud by both sides cause.

What drives me nuts is it's not impossible to build a contender without high picks. It's not a strategy I'd pursue because it reeks of pride in the face of low odds. But it's possible. However, they're not just in the middle.....they're in the middle of even that strategy! You need to hoard every 2nd and 3rd and 4th like you're an old cat lady; you need to get assets to flip, not just demote to the AHL; you need to comb through fringe players and not get precious about them either; you need to not select floor players for fit.

Florida is the new model specifically because they did it largely secondhand.

And even then Barkov, Huberdeau (the key piece for Tkachuk), and Ekblad didn't fall off the 8th round giving tree.

The utter hubris of a team that needs to spend endless capital to find a single top 4 defender, or needs to trade for the rights to $50MM Kevin Hayes to find a 2C because they haven't drafted one since 1979, thinking they'll just get the next Verhaeghe and Forsling and Montour. Maybe Flahr tells Briere he secretly wanted Reinhart over Ristolainen.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
1709953825022.gif

Too many of you are giving grades above an F

You’re being too soft on them. They’ve earned their failing mark. Don’t be weak.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
People who wanted to sell half the team, do you realize how stupid that would look in a playoffs spot? And I'm not just talking about how it would look to the fans. I'm talking about the players. Your team's management message is that they don't want to win even in the playoffs. What do you f***ing play for at that point? How bad can such a loser's mentality be without getting toxic to the whole team?

Get real tabarnak. There is a real team, it's not just a fantasy game in which moves are made on paper.

Danny B understands these dynamics. He was a playoffs monster for a reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: tucson83

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What drives me nuts is it's not impossible to build a contender without high picks. It's not a strategy I'd pursue because it reeks of pride in the face of low odds. But it's possible. However, they're not just in the middle.....they're in the middle of even that strategy! You need to hoard every 2nd and 3rd and 4th like you're an old cat lady; you need to get assets to flip, not just demote to the AHL; you need to comb through fringe players and not get precious about them either; you need to not select floor players for fit.

And even then Barkov, Huberdeau (the key piece for Tkachuk), and Ekblad didn't fall off the 8th round giving tree.

The utter hubris of a team that needs to spend endless capital to find a single top 4 defender, or needs to trade for the rights to $50MM Kevin Hayes to find a 2C because they haven't drafted one since 1979, thinking they'll just get the next Verhaeghe and Forsling and Montour. Maybe Flahr tells Briere he secretly wanted Reinhart over Ristolainen.

Yeh, Florida still built the core of their team picking top 5 three times in quick succession.

Reactions: VladDrag and Magua

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
People who wanted to sell half the team, do you realize how stupid that would look in a playoffs spot? And I'm not just talking about how it would look to the fans. I'm talking about the players. Your team's management message is that they don't want to win even in the playoffs. What do you f***ing play for at that point? How bad can such a loser's mentality be without getting toxic to the whole team?

Get real tabarnak. There is a real team, it's not just a fantasy game in which moves are made on paper.

Less stupid than farting around with no plan.

Reactions: Tripod

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY

Yea I think everyone wants them to win in the playoffs but guess what that hasn't happened since 2012. One of the main reasons why is following this lame middle of the road path where they neither commit to an all in push or commit to a dedicated full rebuild. And the moves this deadline further cemented the medicore path the team has been on and that's frustrating.

Even if they make the playoffs the odds are they likely get bounced in the 1st rd again. And if they somehow manage to win a miracle rd this just isn't a team properly built to go deep. I'd rather have a team built for sustained success then put my hopes in some fluke playoff run.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

So if all that is true, why did he trade Walker? Why did he trade the teams top 3 D? Why did he lessen the teams chance of making the playoffs? Or success if they do make it? Why did he not care how the players feel today knowing they are in the playoffs and he PURPOSELY made them worse?

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Yeh, Florida still built the core of their team picking top 5 three times in quick succession.
Could probably look at Boston as the real example of building without top picks. They have been a contender forever it seems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad