Flyers' History: Grade The 2024 Trade Deadline

Grade

• Total voters

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Alright, well, this is in the books. What is your grade? Why?

I've done D. Walker was fine. Getting a free pick for taking cap space was downright good. Allison, well, hopefully that doesn't matter. Everything else was not fine, and overall a contradicting mess that indicates there is no plan. There certainly has never been an actual rebuild, because there is no plan.

But you know what? That's great. We don't have to go through the crushing despair of shattering our hopes; we can fully know that there is no hope, and not having our hearts broken is a positive!

Also, they did better than last year! Huzzah!

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’d have appreciated +/- options here, since I really have them at a C-, but C is close enough. They got what we wanted for Walker, so that’s a nice positive, Allison for Gurianov is a non-factor, I could not care less about RyJo, so the real downsides are the utterly inexplicable overpay for Johnson, the non-attempt to find a backup goalie, and the lack of movement on anyone who isn’t obviously a non-factor going forward. All in all, I was hoping for more, and largely got what I was expecting. Maybe Lucy won’t pull the football away when we go to kick it this off-season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I’d have appreciated +/- options here, since I really have them at a C-, but C is close enough. They got what we wanted for Walker, so that’s a nice positive, Allison for Gurianov is a non-factor, I could not care less about RyJo, so the real downsides are the utterly inexplicable overpay for Johnson, the non-attempt to find a backup goalie, and the lack of movement on anyone who isn’t obviously a non-factor going forward. All in all, I was hoping for more, and largely got what I was expecting. Maybe Lucy won’t pull the football away when we go to kick it this off-season.

I thought the +/- for options might make things unwieldy, but going forward maybe I'll include those.

Reactions: ponder719

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
There's a lot more nuance to it than this but overall:

Walker trade - positive move, high impact
Seeler contract - neutral/negative move, medium impact
Allison trade - neutral move, minimal impact
Johnson trade - negative move, low impact
Lack of Laughton trade - neutral move, neutral impact.....would be nice if he's traded in the off-season.

The only "positive" move was the only high impact move, which is nice, so overall I'd go with C+ so I'm going to go with C.

pooch

May 30, 2017
I also went with a D grade.

Walker - Good trade. I like it
Hanifin Cap trade - That works
Seeler contract - I dont get it at all
Allison trade - whatever
Johnson trade - pure garbage

Did I miss anything?

Last year was an F, so looking up...I guess???

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
The only reason it isn't an F is the first round pick coming back.

There again is clearly no plan. They preach a rebuild, but trade 1 of their 3 obvious trade chips and extend the other. They take on 2 cap dumps while pulling a 1st rounder, I'll give them that. Then the next day they turn around a trade a 4th round pick for a worthless, aging vet dman.

It's clear which move is a Briere move and which is a Clarke/Torts move. Danny showed me that he's at least willing to move in a rebuild direction with the VGK cap broker and the Walker trade, albeit still bleeding a bit of value in those trades, but it's still the right idea. Then you have Clarke and Torts in his ear for Erik Johnson, Seeler, and culture. Yin and yang.

The deadline is a failure, but there is a tiny bit of silver lining. At the same time, there is once again a bold sharpie lining dominating everything: Clarke/Torts continue to have too much say and are free to continue f***ing shit up with their arrogance and entitlement

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Initial reaction is D.

Spoke all year about looking to the future and not falling in love with players, but only moved one roster player out while signing a player who could have brought back meaningful compensation.

Same number of draft picks traded out as brought in, but did acquire a 1st.

Didn't acquire any young players that will be future contributors.

Didn't acquire a back up goalie... especially egregious if the talking point will be that it was unfair to the room not to try and make the playoffs, which is why Laughton and Seeler are still Flyers.

Johnson and Johansen don't matter, but it was incredibly dumb to spend a 4th on Johnson.

Pretty meh overall.

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
D.

It’s been obvious to me for a while the only “plan” they have is to convince the braindead “authentic fans” that Michkov is the second coming of Jagr and he’ll magically fix everything 3 years from now. Just keep dangling the magic carrot.

Also it wasn’t a TDL move, but the Gauthier move still makes me sick to my stomach. A top 5 prospect in all of hockey traded for a broken down made of a glass non prospect.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I have enough of a sample size now to make as assessment on briere.

I think hes has some brains, but ultimately hes a "team player", so we should expect to see more of the "one for me, two for them" pattern.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Without the Walker trade, certainly an F. Walker trade at least was selling high, which has always been hard for this org and showed it is some version of a rebuild. Voted C

Reactions: Larry44

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Same ole' same ole. Preach about this new culture and how everything will change, but really, nothing changed. Other than getting a 1st for Walker, and the only reason it was a 1st was because of the cap dump, everything else sucked. For a team that was supposedly rebuilding, only trading one roster player doesn't scream rebuild, nor does trading draft picks to acquire some shitty, over the hill bum. 99% of the people here knew nothing was going to change, so I guess we can't be too shocked at the end of the day.

Shitty organization stays shitty, more at 11.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The only reason it isn't an F is the first round pick coming back.

There again is clearly no plan. They preach a rebuild, but trade 1 of their 3 obvious trade chips and extend the other. They take on 2 cap dumps while pulling a 1st rounder, I'll give them that. Then the next day they turn around a trade a 4th round pick for a worthless, aging vet dman.

It's clear which move is a Briere move and which is a Clarke/Torts move. Danny showed me that he's at least willing to move in a rebuild direction with the VGK cap broker and the Walker trade, albeit still bleeding a bit of value in those trades, but it's still the right idea. Then you have Clarke and Torts in his ear for Erik Johnson, Seeler, and culture. Yin and yang.

The deadline is a failure, but there is a tiny bit of silver lining. At the same time, there is once again a bold sharpie lining dominating everything: Clarke/Torts continue to have too much say and are free to continue f***ing shit up with their arrogance and entitlement

I do get the distinct feeling that others were allowed to dictate a move or two. Like with the draft picks, when they let Flahr have a few. It creates a Jekyll and Hyde dynamic. It feels like Management By Committee is still the modus operandi, they just plugged in a new committee leader and then began the PR scam to make us think that equals a New Era somehow.

I would have been looking to sell Staal, Hathaway, Seeler, Laughton, Risto, and Deslauriers if anyone even wants the latter two. On top of Walker. Still do the Hanifin help and Hathaway is replaced by Johansen's husk and he and Tortorella can suck it up like professional adults, or you call someone up. Staal has no part of the team's future. I don't care about the injuries, I wouldn't turn down future pieces just because other players got hurt. Risto is hurt so that's a hard sell, but I'd have at least gauged interest even if the move doesn't come together this time. With Deslauriers if anyone wants to give you anything just take it and punch them out before they can have second thoughts.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
C seems fair. Middle of the road, trying to satisfy both camps, looks like a win compared to Chuckles a year ago. The People's Democratic Republic of Comcast is currently filming propaganda about how this was actually an A++ deadline for Danny, though.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I put C and I feel like I'm being pretty generous. Nothing that happened was disastrous, and that's probably making me give more credit than deserved. Low expectations.

However, the org continues to show being stuck in old ways and valuing outdated and cliched things (Seeler non-trade and bad extension, EJ trade). That's frustrating to say the least, but I can kind of hand waive to an extent. It's not uncommon in this league.

Additionally, they continue to show a lack of a true plan, and a lack of understanding for the need to move ancillary pieces for value at the right time, mainly displayed in the lack of a Laughton trade. Their leaving a lot of value on the table to load up for when the team is truly ready to compete.

And probably the thing that irks me the most is it really looks like through some of these moves they are proving true Jones' statements about making their trading partners pleased. I truly don't understand this mentality. The market is the market. Why did we give Colorado a 5th in the Walker trade? Just asinine mentality that makes them look like dopes.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Walker trade is a great win.

Seeler signing was a missed opportunity.

Erik Johnson trade is a complete waste of a 4th.

It was nice to see the Flyers ready to broker the Hanifin trade, even if the return is likely negligible.

Gurianov trade is a razor thin win.

Selling Laughton would have been ideal, but the market didn't seem to be there.

Based off the moves that happened, Walker's has the most weight in terms of value and long-term benefits, so that keeps the rating positive. But I have a bitter taste in my mouth with what was left on the table here.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
They got a first round pick for a player that was a throw in last year and lost nothing else of value. How you can rate it any lower than a B is incredible.

But that is not really an evaluation of the deadline itself. But partially the Provorov trade!

Walker has been roughly expected to fetch a 1st or 2nd since ~November.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The 2 5ths in and out was a wash...in theory
Allison for Gari was likely a wash too
Added a 1st, lost a 4th
Added 8.5 million in cap dump/retention/shit D
Signs a 3rd pairing Dman in his 30's to 4 year deal

Certainly seems like a familiar era of mostly garbage

And wtf...voted D but as I pressed button, it switched to C. Wizardry.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I went with B. A few bad to neutral moves but the good one was the biggest, bringing in a 1st.

An A for me would have been moving Laughton or adding more mid level picks. It’s pretty clear they were worried about their D and that only got worse with Seeler and Walker.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They got a first round pick for a player that was a throw in last year and lost nothing else of value. How you can rate it any lower than a B is incredible.
This.

Look at the trades around the league. How many teams got first round picks?

The Sharks got one for Hertl. Calgary got a first for Hanifin. That's it.

Guentzel didn't get a first (unless they get to the finals). Toffoli didn't get a first. Tanev didn't get a first.

People's expectations are way out of line with reality.

Getting a first for an expiring Walker and taking on half of Johansen is written off as nothing, while trading away a 4th for Erik Johnson makes them idiots.

I don't get it. This is a solid B rating, IMO.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
But that is not really an evaluation of the deadline itself. But partially the Provorov trade!

Walker has been roughly expected to fetch a 1st or 2nd since ~November.
Sure, an A for me is also moving off Laughton and getting a good return but maybe it just wasn't out there for him. Still the only "negatives" were very low impact on the franchise and the big positive was the addition of a 1st round pick. Just because the expectation that we could get a first doesn't mean we'd definitely get one, ala 17 phone call Fletcher at every deadline ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad