Flyers' History: Grade The 2024 Trade Deadline

Grade

• Total voters

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
I don't think anyone is complaining about taking back Johansen. Everyone agrees that its smart to do to improve the return. But that's different than pretending it didn't happen and saying things like Briere got a 1st for Walker or 2 1sts for Provorov.

Johansen costs us a retention slot we weren't using anyway, cap space we weren't using anyway, and money out of Comcast's pocket that I don't care about. Walker was the only asset we needed to give up it took the receive a 1st, the rest is a paper transaction. I think that's why people are focusig on Walker as the major basis.

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
I give the Walker move a B+ but the deadline gets a D as a whole for me. Mainly because we’re full of shit claiming to be rebuilding while adding worthless plugs.

I could sorta stomach this half assed rebuild given the solid group we have with a superstar a couple years away, but this is straight up insulting. A refusal to make the obvious moves because we’re married to depth guys. So many guys wasting away in the press box or lhv that deserve ice time. Yay for culture and intangibles I guess

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It is perplexing that the Flyers willingness to take on a cap dump to secure a 1st is somehow being held against them. Maybe NJ or Calgary should have taken back a one year cap dump to get a first, too.

Leveraging cap space for maximum draft assets is a good thing. The alternative would have been hoarding the unused cap space to not secure a 1st.
Sigh...

I am not saying it's bad. I am saying you can't ignore that the Flyers took on 4 million in cap space this year...and still have to deal with it going forward, and added a 5th, to get that 1st. To pretend it doesn't matter or exists, is dumb. Especially when at the time, Walker was the best RHD on the market.

Let me ask you....

What was Walkers ACTUAL trade value?
What was the value of taking on 4 million x2?

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
B overall.

A - Getting the first for Walker was a great move by Briere, especially when we saw what the other D on the market was going for.

B - Hanafin for a free draft pick.

B - I like the move to swap Allison for Gurianov.

C- - The Seeler contract was unnecessary. BUT! If he continues to be a steady #4 for the next two years I'll appreciate the move because it actually fills an organizational need. That's a big But though.

D - The EJ trade was downright stupidity.

D - Not being able to move RyJo or Laughton hurts, but I would imagine there were multiple low ball offers for both. This deadline was a serious dud for sellers. The prices we terrible for the majority of trades. Shit, Tarasenko and Guentzel got absolute peanuts.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I don’t understand the optimism for the Walker trade.
You don't understand why there would be optimism for our gm choosing to not resign a guy on an expiring deal, that was playing well for the team and wanted to be here and choosing instead to trade him at his peak value, and getting that value?

Reactions: Rebels57

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Well, when 42% of those polled on this board rate it the deadline a C, and another 38% rate it a D or F, then I think it's safe to conclude these people aren't placing much emphasis on the Walker trade as a positive.
Did you ever think maybe the Walker trade is dragging up the average of a deadline that overall was uninspiring?

• Wow

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Well 80% of the board rate the deadline as a C, D, or F. So it seems to me they aren't valuing the Walker trade very highly when it comes down to it.
Or maybe they're valuing it for the moves that they didn't make. All year, up until last week, we were told this was a rebuilding year. Instead of trading assets, they resigned them. They didn't trade Laughton who is absolutely redundant in this lineup and not part of the rebuild

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Sigh...

I am not saying it's bad. I am saying you can't ignore that the Flyers took on 4 million in cap space this year...and still have to deal with it going forward, and added a 5th, to get that 1st. To pretend it doesn't matter or exists, is dumb. Especially when at the time, Walker was the best RHD on the market.

Let me ask you....

What was Walkers ACTUAL trade value?
What was the value of taking on 4 million x2?

Isn't the Flyers clear willingness to deal with a single year of Johansen's cap space a good thing? It's a positive sign both in terms of acquiring the 1st and in terms of not wanting to rush to spend all their cap space. They eagerly bit the bullet for a year to focus on a better future draft pick.

Walker's value aligned with the same as what Tanev's was reported to be, so it's not like taking on Johansen was some sort of compromise on value.

Tough to say what Johansen's value would be. On one hand, he went for Galchenyuk last summer, but that was with a year left on his deal. On the other hand, it seems the Flyers couldn't sell him at 25% today, but that's possible because they were looking for suitors who might want to compete with him rather than paying another team to take him as a dump. I would have hoped Walker's actual value was a 1st in a hot market, but nothing this deadline indicates that was the case for anyone.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Or maybe they're valuing it for the moves that they didn't make. All year, up until last week, we were told this was a rebuilding year. Instead of trading assets, they resigned them. They didn't trade Laughton who is absolutely redundant in this lineup and not part of the rebuild
If the maximum offer for Laughton was a 2nd rounder, then I'm glad Briere stuck to his guns. Laughton is still an option to be moved at the draft and I would imagine a few teams covet him. Laughton has actually increased his value over the last 3-4 weeks by not being as shit. Maybe that continues until the end of the season.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
If the maximum offer for Laughton was a 2nd rounder, then I'm glad Briere stuck to his guns. Laughton is still an option to be moved at the draft and I would imagine a few teams covet him. Laughton has actually increased his value over the last 3-4 weeks by not being as shit. Maybe that continues until the end of the season.
July 2023 - Laughton will have more value at the trade deadline.
March 2024 - Laughton will have more value at the draft.
July 2024 - Laughton will have more value at the trade deadline.
March 2025 - Laughton will have more value at the draft.
July 2025 - Laughton will have more value at the trade deadline.
March 2026 - Laughton was heavily coveted but the Flyers valued his leadership too much and the team reached a six year extension with him.
July 2026 - As we embark on a rebuild, we think Laughton's leadership is going to be really important to setting the culture we want to build.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Isn't the Flyers clear willingness to deal with a single year of Johansen's cap space a good thing? It's a positive sign both in terms of acquiring the 1st and in terms of not wanting to rush to spend all their cap space. They eagerly bit the bullet for a year to focus on a better future draft pick.

Walker's value aligned with the same as what Tanev's was reported to be, so it's not like taking on Johansen was some sort of compromise on value.

Tough to say what Johansen's value would be. On one hand, he went for Galchenyuk last summer, but that was with a year left on his deal. On the other hand, it seems the Flyers couldn't sell him at 25% today, but that's possible because they were looking for suitors who might want to compete with him rather than paying another team to take him as a dump. I would have hoped Walker's actual value was a 1st in a hot market, but nothing this deadline indicates that was the case for anyone.
Yes

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This was a triumph!
I'm making a note here:
HUGE SUCCESS.
It's hard to overstate
My satisfaction.
Philadelphia Flyers
They do what they must
because they can.
For the good of all of us,
Especially the ones who are braindead.

But there's no sense crying
Over every draft pick.
You just keep on trying
With your winning culture schtick.
And the Rebuild gets done,
And you make a 1st round run,
For the senior advisors who are
Still alive.

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__images__2016__03__20160401-portal-cake-ec0ed32f320f43ffa3a3dfc474c8df33.jpg

• Wow

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Did you ever think maybe the Walker trade is dragging up the average of a deadline that overall was uninspiring?
WTF do people expect?

There were three first-round picks traded around the deadline this season. The Flyers got one of them. For Sean Walker and retention on Johansen for a year.

And trading a 4th for Erik Johnson drops 34% of the votes to below average? And 80% of the votes to average or worse?

• Haha
Reactions: PALE PWNR

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
WTF do people expect?

There were three first-round picks traded around the deadline this season. The Flyers got one of them. For Sean Walker and retention on Johansen for a year.

And trading a 4th for Erik Johnson drops 34% of the votes to below average? And 80% of the votes to average or worse?
They expected 3 firsts and to only get higher draft picks for lower draft picks and only younger players for older players like they do in NHL 24

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
But that is not really an evaluation of the deadline itself. But partially the Provorov trade!

Walker has been roughly expected to fetch a 1st or 2nd since ~November.
Walker was traded at the deadline therefore of course it’s an evaluation of the deadline itself. That’s what the question means. If we want to evaluate everything based on the history that came before then how far back do we have to go? When Provorov was drafted? Might as well go back to 1967 since it all started then. Unless you want to go back to the beginning of the NHL.

This is a perfect example of people on here just nit-picking things to death. The Walker trade was the only really meaningful move the Flyers made at the deadline, and it was a good one.

The worst move was the one they didn’t make, trading Laughton. But oh well.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They expected 3 firsts and to only get higher draft picks for lower draft picks and only younger players for older players like they do in NHL 24
We actually had people complaining about the Walker return, too.

pooch

May 30, 2017
WTF do people expect?

People expected more rebuilding moves.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Laughton has sort of been a disappointment as a Flyer. After 581 games he was 91/138/229/-13. He is not good at center and sort of ok as a checking winger. I expected more from a first round pick. No sensible club is going to serve up a first round pick for a player like this which is why it didn't happen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I went with B but its a B- for sure.

The most important trade was getting a 1st for Walker.

I also enjoyed getting a 5th for retaining on Hanifin in that deal.

I like swapping Allison for Gurianov. The league needs more of these low-risk change of scenery trades. There used to be WAY more of these. More often than not, they amount to nothing. But sometimes, something fun happens like you acquire a guy and he pops off for 5 goals in 3 games (before disappearing again) and its temporarily entertaining.

I am not pleased with trading a 4th for a washed Johnson.

I do wish they traded Laughton but looking at the market, I suspect no team meant their asking price of a 1st and I would not have been happy with a 2nd. They can still look to move him in the summer or next season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad