Salary Cap: Grade Last off-season moves

How would you grade the Ottawa Senators 2020-21 off-season?

• Total voters

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, good thing we made sure to not lose any prospects in order to keep Galch and Paquette for years to come!
It's a pretty minor lose but strange to see people absolve any blame for chosing guys like Paquette and Galchenyuk over giving Balcers a chance. It was a choice to sign Galchenyuk and basically give the spot Balcers was competing for to him. It was a choice to waive Balcers over Paquette. It's not a big lose, but to deny Dorion had any agency in it is just bizarre.

Reactions: Xspyrit and DrEasy

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I voted bad but after analyzing a bit further I'd say it was average.

The Dadonov signing was a positive at the time of the contract last season but what we're evaluating is not what fans thought at first but what was the net result on the team of acquiring the players we did. I liked the Dadonov signing at first, but after last season it became clear he was not a fit here. I'm giving a pass to Dorion on this one because ultimately it didn't cost us much and we were able to get rid of his contract. If we didn't then the story would be different but I think it sort of worked out in the end.

Watson deal was totally fine, I like him as a 4rth liner.

Gudbranson was a headscratcher but didn't cost much in terms of assets. I think there could've been better asset management here, we could've signed a 1M player in free agency who would've had a similar impact. All in all it was again a pretty small impact.

Stepan trade was attrocious. Just in terms of what we gave up our pro scouting and GM didn't understand the market. Teams were scrambling to shed cap and we took a substantial amount of it without getting anything back in return and we also gave a 2nd.

The Zub signing was amazing.

Murray trade.... The trade itself is not the issue but the contract is looking bad. It was a bad contract from the start based on Murray's preformance for the better part of the 2 years prior. Let's see what he can do this year...

Overall:

Good: Zub, Watson,
Very little impact/Neutral: Dadonov, Gudbranson, Galchenyuk
Bad: Stepan, Murray

I think the biggest concern is that the players Dorion acquired to have an impact on the team (Dadonov, Murray and Stepan) really didn't do anything. The Watson, Gudbranson, Galchenyuk and Zub acquisitions were for depth it seems but Zub ended up better than anyone they gave big money to.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The Dadonov signing was a positive at the time of the contract last season but what we're evaluating is not what fans thought at first but what was the net result on the team of acquiring the players we did. I liked the Dadonov signing at first, but after last season it became clear he was not a fit here. I'm giving a pass to Dorion on this one because ultimately it didn't cost us much and we were able to get rid of his contract. If we didn't then the story would be different but I think it sort of worked out in the end.

Gudbranson was a headscratcher but didn't cost much in terms of assets. I think there could've been better asset management here, we could've signed a 1M player in free agency who would've had a similar impact. All in all it was again a pretty small impact.

Stepan trade was attrocious. Just in terms of what we gave up our pro scouting and GM didn't understand the market. Teams were scrambling to shed cap and we took a substantial amount of it without getting anything back in return and we also gave a 2nd.

Murray trade.... The trade itself is not the issue but the contract is looking bad. It was a bad contract from the start based on Murray's preformance for the better part of the 2 years prior. Let's see what he can do this year...

Overall:

I think the biggest concern is that the players Dorion acquired to have an impact on the team (Dadonov, Murray and Stepan) really didn't do anything. The Watson, Gudbranson, Galchenyuk and Zub acquisitions were for depth it seems but Zub ended up better than anyone they gave big money to.

The Zub signing was so early in the offseason that it almost felt like the prior season, but yeah it was a great signing

Watson was a solid acquisition in retrospect, i wasn't initially thrilled with it so I'll eat crow.

Dadonov was good in principle, bad in practice

I think Murray might still turn into a good move, he was rebuilding his style so last year wasn't really the point of the trade and signing.

Wrt Galchenyuk, it was a bit of a headscratcher, but pretty low risk. It did get compounded by other moves resulting forcing some other guys off the roster an into waivers but no major loss.

Stepan kind of made sense from a logic behind the move but was the wrong target and cost more to acquire than he should have imo.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Overall:

End thread...This is why they pay u the big bucks Mick....Perfect summary

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It's a pretty minor lose but strange to see people absolve any blame for chosing guys like Paquette and Galchenyuk over giving Balcers a chance. It was a choice to sign Galchenyuk and basically give the spot Balcers was competing for to him. It was a choice to waive Balcers over Paquette. It's not a big lose, but to deny Dorion had any agency in it is just bizarre.

Agreed in the grand scheme of things this is a minor misstep. I don't think losing Balcers will be THE move that makes or breaks this team. Yet it is still a misstep and I was vocal at the time how it was a wrong move. The problem is that Dorion's body of work is littered with a bunch of minor and major missteps.

Overall, the last offseason taken as a whole was pretty bad.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Agreed in the grand scheme of things this is a minor misstep. I don't think losing Balcers will be THE move that makes or breaks this team. Yet it is still a misstep and I was vocal at the time how it was a wrong move. The problem is that Dorion's body of work is littered with a bunch of minor and major missteps.

Overall, the last offseason taken as a whole was pretty bad.
The problem with Balcers most dont seem to realise is he is a LW on one of the deepest teams at LW ,SJ along with many others just seemed to be waiting on us to waive him...Like the player but our 4 lines couldnt place him....Stu and Tkachuk are locked into the top 6 and Paul/Form/Kelly /Crook fit the botttom 6 much better..
It sux as he was an interesting prospect,but in honesty we really didnt have a slot for him

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Gally I’ll give you, but Paquette netted us a 2nd round pick, and then he and Cobourn turned into further assets.

That second alone is worth the gamble over keeping Balcers considering our current context and prospect depth.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Overall:

Very little impact/Neutral: Dadonov, Galchenyuk
Bad: Stepan, Murray, Gudbranson

I'd honestly put Gudbranson in the bad category, but that's probably because I'm not in the lockeroom.

Night in, night out he was the poorest performing player (Ok there were a few games where Mike Reilly gave him a run for his money) on the team.

So to acquire so poor an asset whom negatively impacts the team so drastically, it HAS to be a bad move.

It's too bad, because it's really cool to have a local boy play for the team; I will always respect him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gally I’ll give you, but Paquette netted us a 2nd round pick, and then he and Cobourn turned into further assets.

That second alone is worth the gamble over keeping Balcers considering our current context and prospect depth.
I'm not talking about the trade for Paquette, that was a good move. That trade doesn't mean we have to waive Balcers though. Waive Paquette, put him on the taxi squad, don't bother signing a guy like Haley or Shaw for the taxi squad.

It was a choice to keep Paquette around instead of Balcers. We all agree getting the second was great, it's what we did after that's questionable.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The problem with Balcers most dont seem to realise is he is a LW on one of the deepest teams at LW ,SJ along with many others just seemed to be waiting on us to waive him...Like the player but our 4 lines couldnt place him....Stu and Tkachuk are locked into the top 6 and Paul/Form/Kelly /Crook fit the botttom 6 much better..
It sux as he was an interesting prospect,but in honesty we really didnt have a slot for him

Cool beans but at the time of the waivers our LWs consisted of future Sens stalwarts of Paquette and Galchenyuk. On top of that, you missed the post where it was stated that Balcers can play RW. He could look good on 3RW right now.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Cool beans but at the time of the waivers our LWs consisted of future Sens stalwarts of Paquette and Galchenyuk. On top of that, you missed the post where it was stated that Balcers can play RW. He could look good on 3RW right now.
Yep not defending the bad moves we made on signing washed up veterans...Merely pointing out we really didnt have a place for him last season on either wing

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'm not talking about the trade for Paquette, that was a good move. That trade doesn't mean we have to waive Balcers though. Waive Paquette, put him on the taxi squad, don't bother signing a guy like Haley or Shaw for the taxi squad.

It was a choice to keep Paquette around instead of Balcers. We all agree getting the second was great, it's what we did after that's questionable.

My point is that it didn’t necessarily come down to Paquette vs Balcers, there were lots of options as you say to waive, and they chose none of them.

That trade had no direct relationship to Balcers being waived. My initial post was countering the idea that buddy was downgrading the trade from ‘Great’ to ‘Okay’ in his personal rankings specifically because in his mind we had to lose Balcers to waivers because of it.

My point has always been that the trade was great in and of itself, and it wasn’t the reason Balcers went on waivers. Balcers was put on waivers because the team didn’t want him on the opening roster. Had they wanted to keep him up and not risk losing him, they had several options to make that happen.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

You can’t keep everyone, and I’d rather one of the kids from this camp bust ass to take that spot than watch Balcers be an average 3rd line winger all season.

I think they identify who they think has what they want going forward, and let the other guys have a chance at a career elsewhere. They have consistently done this with other young prospects that seem on the bubble.

We have too much of a surge coming up to give marginal guys too much time. Eventually we’ll have fewer exciting prospects, and they will take long to crack the lineup.

Just my two cents. I like Balcers and am happy for him, but don’t see him as a guy to crack this particular team.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
You can’t keep everyone, and I’d rather one of the kids from this camp bust ass to take that spot than watch Balcers be an average 3rd line winger all season.

I think they identify who they think has what they want going forward, and let the other guys have a chance at a career elsewhere. They have consistently done this with other young prospects that seem on the bubble.

We have too much of a surge coming up to give marginal guys too much time. Eventually we’ll have fewer exciting prospects, and they will take long to crack the lineup.

Just my two cents. I like Balcers and am happy for him, but don’t see him as a guy to crack this particular team.

Aren't you droning about competition for spots all the time? Isn't that what would happen even this year if Balcers was here? It's funny how one of your go-to excuses of having marginal veterans on the roster to keep the kids prove they are better, yet that doesn't apply to players who you don't like.

That's the difference with your opinion. You think Balcers is marginal, yet all the magic beans of the "surge" is not? Until proven otherwise Sokolov/Crookshank/Kelly/insert your other fav kid who you think would have been busting their ass is marginal as well.

Yep not defending the bad moves we made on signing washed up veterans...Merely pointing out we really didnt have a place for him last season on either wing

... but there was a spot. That's why they got Dzingel.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
My point is that it didn’t necessarily come down to Paquette vs Balcers, there were lots of options as you say to waive, and they chose none of them.

That trade had no direct relationship to Balcers being waived. My initial post was countering the idea that buddy was downgrading the trade from ‘Great’ to ‘Okay’ in his personal rankings specifically because in his mind we had to lose Balcers to waivers because of it.

My point has always been that the trade was great in and of itself, and it wasn’t the reason Balcers went on waivers. Balcers was put on waivers because the team didn’t want him on the opening roster. Had they wanted to keep him up and not risk losing him, they had several options to make that happen.

Ok, that's fair, I was replying to the sentement that it wasn't Dorion's fault that there was no room for Balcers, the trade in a vacuum was great, but if you aren't willing to waive a player like Paquette it puts you in a box. I'd be fine had we traded Balcers for a second instead of acquiring Paquette to get a 2nd, so the net impact wasn't bad, and I've said as much that I don't see losing Balcers as a big deal, but I don't think you can fully compartmentalize these decisions. Acquiring Paquette, among other players led to us not having room for Balcers, who appears to be a better long term and short term piece than other guys we kept around instead.

It's not that acquiring Paquette and Coburn was bad, but it compounded the roster space situation that led to losing Balcers.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Ok, that's fair, I was replying to the sentement that it wasn't Dorion's fault that there was no room for Balcers, the trade in a vacuum was great, but if you aren't willing to waive a player like Paquette it puts you in a box. I'd be fine had we traded Balcers for a second instead of acquiring Paquette to get a 2nd, so the net impact wasn't bad, and I've said as much that I don't see losing Balcers as a big deal, but I don't think you can fully compartmentalize these decisions. Acquiring Paquette, among other players led to us not having room for Balcers, who appears to be a better long term and short term piece than other guys we kept around instead.

It's not that acquiring Paquette and Coburn was bad, but it compounded the roster space situation that led to losing Balcers.

To be fair, I think the closer competition for Balcers was Galchenyuk. I assume the decision was Galch vs Balcers, as in who gets put on waivers. I'd waive both Paquette and Galch to keep Balcers on the roster and if needed traded later for something other than nothing.

Reactions: Xspyrit

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Aren't you droning about competition for spots all the time? Isn't that what would happen even this year if Balcers was here? It's funny how one of your go-to excuses of having marginal veterans on the roster to keep the kids prove they are better, yet that doesn't apply to players who you don't like.

That's the difference with your opinion. You think Balcers is marginal, yet all the magic beans of the "surge" is not? Until proven otherwise Sokolov/Crookshank/Kelly/insert your other fav kid who you think would have been busting their ass is marginal as well.

... but there was a spot. That's why they got Dzingel.
Later in the season when the vets you had mentioned failed,and we had already lost Balcers...It for sure was a loss,but this is why we need to thin out the LW slot a little...And some more down the middle and at RW

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
To me it comes down to them not seeing a future on the team for the guy, and this we’re willing to not only not have him on the roster to start the season, but also to expose him to potentially being scooped. I don’t think their hand was forced because there were other options, I just don’t think they cared.

There is also a chance that PD had spoken to Wilson and that it was a gentlemen’s move to let SJ claim him back so that they could give him a chance on their roster.

Who knows. In the end it just wasn’t much of a loss, and certainly an acceptable conclusion from management point of view.

Could they have returned an asset for him instead? Who knows, but teams often let guys with value go via waivers so there is that.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Later in the season when the vets you had mentioned failed,and we had already lost Balcers...It for sure was a loss,but this is why we need to thin out the LW slot a little...And some more down the middle and at RW

I don’t think we missed him at all up front later in the season. He still would have been toiling away in the bottom six at best even after we traded Gally and Paquette. He was not a better player than Daddy either, even last year’s version.

Reactions: aragorn

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
1. Every Sens fan should be able to recognize that management went above and beyond to insulate our young players with these moves. That is almost indisputable. We started 2-12-1 anyway. Can you imagine if we HADN'T grabbed Murray, Dadonov, Gudbranson, and Stepan? People like yourself would have eviscerated Dorion if we started that way. For good reason! Dorion had no choice but to make some moves to provide depth.

2. Outside of Murray (which may also potentially work out, as it is a bit of an incomplete judgement because he only played 27 games ) have any of these moves potentially altered the Franchise in a negative way?

3. Since honesty forces us to admit he had to do something, is there any move out there we know was available to Dorion that was better? We're already judging the results in hindsight which is completely unfair. The only way we can criticize his moves with any level of fairness is to compare them to moves we knew were available. I have yet to hear any alternatives we know were available.

4. You're being completely unfair/disingenuous to Dorion in the way you listed those moves. You left out acquiring Zub, the best move of the offseason. Why? You also listed all the picks that he sent out, but not the ones he acquired at the deadline and the one he got for Dadonov, why? You added losing Balcers but not adding Mete, why? You listed Stepan's and Gudbanson's AAVs but not their salary, why?

As far as addressing weaknesses on the roster? Dorion gets a 10/10 for me. He added experience, depth, character, and he added players in positions where we were weakest to start the season. He didn't overpay like crazy. That's what a GM is supposed to do.

Honestly, in retrospect, the only consequential things that happened was adding Murray, losing two seconds, getting Zub, acquiring a 2nd and a 3rd, and adding some veteran depth/experience while the team developed. If the worst thing that happened is swinging and missing on Murray while hitting a home run on Zub. I'm fine with it.

ok took me a bit of time to answer this as I got busy but think this will be fun

1- Do you really think we didn't understand what they were trying to do? The problem is they missed out on pratically every move. If the moves would have been more often "positive" like the Austin Watson one, complaining would have been minimal. I also still like the Murray acquisition as I believe in his ability. I defended him ad nauseam in GDTs last year, and took some heat for that.

We didn't start 2-12-1 "anyway", we had such a poor start because the roster was terrible (and other reasons) and there was not enough quality veterans CAPABLE of insulating the young inexperienced players. You can bring all the Stepans and Gudbransons you want, it's not going to help your team but sink it. The NHL is a business of results, even if the Senators were not expected to win the Cup, they had to be competitive like they have been after that first month (after the mistakes progressively got fixed). A GM's job is to have insight. You can't have most of your moves "not working out". That's exactly how you end up failing.

2- What question is that? Nobody said all of this is "altering" (most think/understand "we were rebuilding anyway") and frankly, not a lot of moves are, it's more the combination of moves for a period of time that can alter a franchise. We're discussing here and the discussion is about these moves that didn't work out. The only thing it might have done is that we could have made the playoffs if we acquired more quality vets to insulate the young players (the intended plan) and had more of a "NHL level" start to the season.

3- Yes a GM's job is to make good moves to improve his team's roster, making them more competitive. And welcome to the real world if you think "judging the results in hindsight is completely unfair". I was actually an AGM in my late 20's working for the Claridge group and let me tell you that we were absolutely judged based on results.

We have no idea about the plethora of other moves that could have been made so no NHL GM is ever going to be evaluated by fans based on that. All we know is that us, the fans, want a GM that will make moves (signings/trades/etc) to help our favorite team get better, at least like other GMs around the league do (yes, it doesn't always work out). I think Sens fans know the Ottawa's GM job is harder based on the ownership, the budget, etc. But look at the money spent here : 28.85 AAV for 9 players and the best contributors were? 4th liner Watson? Or "worst PPG than White" Dadonov?

Note : it's true that Melnyk saved some money with Stepan/Gudbranson salaries being lower than their AAVs. Very happy for him.

4- lol there's nothing disingenuous here, 100% factual. Artem Zub was signed on May 1st, and since covid had already paused the season, we could include him if you want but in a normal year, it's a signing at the end of a season. Same reason I didn't include the Pageau trade and other moves that happened 2 months earlier at the 2020 deadline

The picks acquired at the 2021 deadline were also not the "off-season", same with Mete being picked on waivers, like you know, in the THREAD TITLE? lol comon pay a litle bit more attention next time

To be 100% consistent, I removed the notes about Abramov, Logan brown and even Jaros/Chlapik as it happened after the season started IIRC (not that it changes much in the analysis here)

By the way, I was basically the only poster praising the Zub signing before the season, saying that he could even end up in our top-4. And yes, there is posts for evidence.

As far as addressing weaknesses on the roster? Dorion gets a 10/10 for me. He added experience, depth, character, and he added players in positions where we were weakest to start the season. He didn't overpay like crazy. That's what a GM is supposed to do.

What? This can't be a serious post

28.85 AAV (ok remove 7.1 M$ in salary for Melnyk's pockets!) for 9 players, only Watson wasn't a detriment. I would like to say Murray too but his numbers were pretty bad and 99% of the fanbase detroyed him since.

Basically no weaknesses were addressed. Roster holes were filled by "tangible weaknesses", until Dorion started fixing his own mistakes.

The fact that we PAID ASSETS to add these players makes it a failure. We even let go more quality players than we acquired (Balcers and Duclair). You can add Zub from May 1st if you want if that makes you feel better about last off-season.

The question is what package do you think is more valuable to have?

Matt Murray 4 years x $6,250,000 AAV
Austin Watson 3 years x $1,500,000 AAV
Joshua Brown 2 years x $1,200,000 AAV
Derek Stepan 1 year x $6,500,000 AAV
Erik Gudbranson 1 year x $4,000,000 AAV
Braydon Coburn 1 year x $1,700,000 AAV
Cédric Paquette 1 year x $1,650,000 AAV
Evgeni Dadonov 3 years x $5,000,000 AAV
Alex Galchenyuk 1 year x $1,050,000 AAV
2022 2nd round pick (TBL)
Artem Zub 1 year x $1,775,000 AAV (if you want)

OR

28.85 AAV (21.75 in salary) (that you could use better/differently)
Anthony Duclair
Rudolfs Balcers
Jonathan Gruden
2021 2nd round pick (CBJ - #37)
2020 2nd round pick (CBJ - #52)
2020 4th round pick (OTT - #95)
2021 4th round pick (COL - #124)
2021 5th round pick (EDM - #148)

With all these assets and all that money, nothing better could have been done?

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Doesn't it really depend on what your expectations were for last yr? Who thought this team was even a bubble team who had a shot at the playoffs regardless of who they brought in & we all knew they weren't bringing in any game changers, but instead were just filling out roster spots with vets to help their young guys develop. Balcers had no future here, Duclair wanted more than they were willing to give & Stepan got injured which ended his season before it began. None of these guys are game changers & weren't going to single handedly or collectively carry them into a playoff spot.

Shit happens & a lot of shit happened to them in the early part of last season with a number of players that got off to crappy starts including in nets. As the season progressed & they started inserting their better younger prospects the team started to improve, but they were never going to make the playoffs last yr. It was the first step in developing the new young team & this coming season we should see a few more prospects make the team throughout the yr & other guys moved out. I think by the end of the 2022-2023 season we should have most of the good young players in their respective positions on the team & hopefully they should start challenging for more than just a playoff spot. Unfortunately it takes time for some teams to rebuild & start climbing that latter of success.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Doesn't it really depend on what your expectations were for last yr? Who thought this team was even a bubble team who had a shot at the playoffs regardless of who they brought in & we all knew they weren't bringing in any game changers, but instead were just filling out roster spots with vets to help their young guys develop. Balcers had no future here, Duclair wanted more than they were willing to give & Stepan got injured which ended his season before it began. None of these guys are game changers & weren't going to single handedly or collectively carry them into a playoff spot.

Shit happens & a lot of shit happened to them in the early part of last season with a number of players that got off to crappy starts including in nets. As the season progressed & they started inserting their better younger prospects the team started to improve, but they were never going to make the playoffs last yr. It was the first step in developing the new young team & this coming season we should see a few more prospects make the team throughout the yr & other guys moved out. I think by the end of the 2022-2023 season we should have most of the good young players in their respective positions on the team & hopefully they should start challenging for more than just a playoff spot. Unfortunately it takes time for some teams to rebuild & start climbing that latter of success.

Not really. The grades are based on off-season moves. Not where the team ended up. People on here have already broken down move by move and it was a very disappointing off-season by Dorion and his pro-scouting staff.

90% of the posters here were well aware that last season the team wasn't going to make the Playoffs - that's not the issue.

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not really. The grades are based on off-season moves. Not where the team ended up. People on here have already broken down move by move and it was a very disappointing off-season by Dorion and his pro-scouting staff.

90% of the posters here were well aware that last season the team wasn't going to make the Playoffs - that's not the issue.
So people were expecting that they were going to spend to the cap to bring in game changers to make the playoffs? I expected that they were just going to fill in spots & were going to wait until their prospects were NHL ready given they were rebuilding & insert them when they were ready. Exactly what else were people expecting last yr?

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
So people were expecting that they were going to spend to the cap to bring in game changers to make the playoffs? I expected that they were just going to fill in spots & were going to wait until their prospects were NHL ready given they were rebuilding & insert them when they were ready. Exactly what else were people expecting last yr?

Why are you taking things to the extreme? Where did I ever state spending to the cap, bringing in the top FAs???
Simply put the PRO Scouting staff should have identified better targets than Gudbranson, Coburn, Paquette, Galchenyuk, Dadonov (wasn't a fit). Way too many misses.

Reactions: Xspyrit and DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad